[sci.electronics] 1Mx9 DRAM, Should New Design use SIMM or SIP ??

tjr@cbnewsc.att.com (thomas.j.roberts) (01/11/91)

I am designing a new board that uses 1 Meg by 9 DRAMS. Clearly,
it is cheaper (and uses less board space) to use regularly-available
SIMMs or SIPs than to use individual chips. These SIMMs and SIPs
are used in scads of PC clones, PS/2s, Macs, etc.; they are often
cheaper than 9 1Mx1 DRAM chips.

Question: Which should I use, SIMMs or SIPs ??
	The SIPs have through-hole pins, and no edge connector, so
	they appear to take less board-to-board space; SIMM sockets,
	however, are available to mount the SIMM at an angle, reducing
	their height (and board-to-board space). Connectors are readily
	available for both, and prices are comparable.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of SIMMs and SIPs ??

Thanks in advance,

Tom Roberts
att!ihlpl!tjrob  TJROB@IHLPL.ATT.COM

khoult@bbn.com (Kent Hoult) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.170127.9293@cbnewsc.att.com> tjr@cbnewsc.att.com (thomas.j.roberts) writes:
>I am designing a new board that uses 1 Meg by 9 DRAMS. Clearly,
>it is cheaper (and uses less board space) to use regularly-available
>SIMMs or SIPs than to use individual chips. These SIMMs and SIPs
>are used in scads of PC clones, PS/2s, Macs, etc.; they are often
>cheaper than 9 1Mx1 DRAM chips.
>
>Question: Which should I use, SIMMs or SIPs ??
>
>What are the advantages/disadvantages of SIMMs and SIPs ??

SIPs
      -	they are slightly less common than SIMMs
      -	they are soldered in, so adding/removing modules is harder
      + they only mount vertically, this lets you mount them
	as close as 0.3" apart (maybe 0.25").
      - They only mount vertically, needing more height.

SIMMs
      - They need a socket, this costs money.
      + They need a socket, this makes them easy to add/remove.
      + The sockets are available in vertical, angled, and horizontal
	mounts.
      - The angled mount sockets can't be spaced closer than 0.5" apart,
	so more board space is used by them.
      + They are slightly more common and are easier to produce than a SIP,
	so they should be a bit cheaper.

  These are the main points I could remember of off the top of head. I've
designed boards using both, and these were the main factors.
Kent Hoult, BBN Communications Corp., Cambridge, MA
khoult@bbn.com  TEL: (617) 873-4385