[sci.electronics] How does MacroVision CopyGuard work?

jliu@pender.ee.upenn.edu (Dear John.) (01/04/91)

I'm curious....does anyone know how MacroVision copy protection works?
Can someone please email me recent sci.e articles on it?

Thanks for all responses.

   John C. Liu			              |
			        	      |      * <- me!
   Electrical Engineering Dept  	      |
   University of Pennsylvania  	  	      |
   Philadelphia, PA 19104	              |_____________________Y
				             /
   Inet: jliu@pender.ee.upenn.edu   	    /
				           /
				          /x

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (01/07/91)

In article <35277@netnews.upenn.edu> jliu@pender.ee.upenn.edu (Dear John.) writes:

>I'm curious....does anyone know how MacroVision copy protection works?
>Can someone please email me recent sci.e articles on it?

My guess is that 'they' tune the picture until it's on the edge of
distortion, so that when you copy the tape, the added resistance destroys
the picture completely.
--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

bame@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Paul Bame) (01/09/91)

> I'm curious....does anyone know how MacroVision copy protection works?
> Can someone please email me recent sci.e articles on it?

Go check the periodical guide for the last couple of years looking for
the Macrovision "Scrubber" plans described in Radio Electronics.  They
do a fair description of the technique.  My fading memory believes
they insert some pulses into the vertical retrace interval which makes
it difficult for your VCR to lock onto the vertical sync and nearly
impossible for the next VCR in the copy chain to do so.

			-Paul "Spice is the Variety of Life"
			bame@hpfcbig.sde.hp.com	N0KCL

dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (01/11/91)

.
.Go check the periodical guide for the last couple of years looking for
.the Macrovision "Scrubber" plans described in Radio Electronics.  They

It was in the December, 1987 issue (pp 49-54).

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne