[sci.electronics] Schematics Wanted for simple X-mitters, FM, any freq. > 30 MHz

wlw2286@isc.rit.edu (W.L. Lance) (01/07/91)

The subject basically says it all, it should have a pre-amp for the
microphone as well. I would prefer PLL over crystal, and I would prefer
not to hand wind coils. But I'll take anything I can get.

Thanks,
Lance

--
Lance Ware			          	         Mac and IBM Reseller
   wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan7.010531.18683@isc.rit.edu> wlw2286@isc.rit.edu (W.L. Lance) writes:
>The subject basically says it all, it should have a pre-amp for the
>microphone as well. I would prefer PLL over crystal, and I would prefer
>not to hand wind coils. But I'll take anything I can get.

Hmm.. There's been a little bit of discussion on stuff like this recently in
rec.ham-radio, although the fact that Lance is asking for a 30MHz+
transmitter indicates that he may be familiar with the group already ;-) (*)

posted a suggestion for a Q+D ultra-cheeep FM transmitter, which ran something
like this:

Take a 48.666667 MHz oscillator circuit, run it through a tripler circuit,
and voila! 146 MHz! (a common frequency for repeater stations in the 144MHz
amateur radio band) Use a varactor or..(he suggested something else, can't
remember) to vary the frequency based on an audio signal, and you've got
a low-power FM transmitter that can talk to your local 1kW repeater station
on top of the nearest mountain! (drawback - MUST know frequencies beforehand)

Anybody with more design know-how than myself want to take a stab at roughing
out a circuit like this? If I can find a 48.666667MHz oscillator for cheap,
I'd be glad to do the smoke-test :-)

>Thanks,
>Lance

Not quite what you were looking for, Lance, but maybe worth discussing here..

>Lance Ware			          	         Mac and IBM Reseller
>   wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu
>        	wlw2286@ultb.UUCP

(*) If anyone's missed the information, the US Federal Communications
Commission is in the process of removing the Morse Code requirement from
the Technician Class amateur radio license. Techs who do not have the Morse
certification will have all amateur priveliges above 30MHz. Techs who do,
and 'old' Techs who already have their license retain all current privs..

--
Disclaimer: Yeah, right, like you really believe I run this place.
John R. Murray              |        "Never code anything