[sci.electronics] New Year's Eve idiocy - an eyewitness report

jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (01/03/91)

New Year's Eve brought the usual assortment of firecrackers, skyrockets,
M-80s (I guess - bright and LOUD), and so forth. As I was enjoying the show
(and giving thanks I live a good mile away from the jokers with the M-80s),
I was startled by a green flash from a nearby substation. This thing was
BRIGHT - so bright it effectively washed out all other lights for dozens of
blocks on either side. The flash itself appeared to be about a half a city
block wide. There were two of them, about 10 seconds apart. And funny thing -
a lot of people's lights went out. :-)  Anyway, at the time I assumed some
fool had thrown a wire rope into the substation, or something like. But later
I wondered - with so much powdered metal in many pyro formulas, and
particulate matter (conductive metal oxides?) left after their explosion,
is it possible that a skyrocket of some sort exploding among the wires would
alter the conductivity of air enough to let such an arc happen?

I still think the cable explanation, or something similar, is most likely.
It was quite a climax for the New Year's Eve "display"!

							Jeff Winslow

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (01/10/91)

In article <4655@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) writes:

>New Year's Eve brought the usual assortment of firecrackers, skyrockets,
>M-80s (I guess - bright and LOUD), and so forth. As I was enjoying the show
>(and giving thanks I live a good mile away from the jokers with the M-80s),
>I was startled by a green flash from a nearby substation. This thing was
>BRIGHT - so bright it effectively washed out all other lights for dozens of
>blocks on either side. The flash itself appeared to be about a half a city
>block wide. There were two of them, about 10 seconds apart. And funny thing -
>a lot of people's lights went out. :-)  Anyway, at the time I assumed some

I was in Miami during New Year's Eve.  The locals there have gone way beyond
M-80's.  At midnight, they have this quaint custom of going outside and firing
thier automatic and semi-automatic weapons into the sky.  It sounds like
a revolution in a banana republic.  There have been reports of damage to cars
and houses (I have not heard of human injuries yet).  It would not surprise
me a bit if one of these yahoos were to shoot up some power lines or a
transformer.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

In article <1991Jan9.200754.8857@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>In article <4655@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) writes:
>>New Year's Eve brought the usual assortment of firecrackers, skyrockets,
>>M-80s (I guess - bright and LOUD), and so forth. As I was enjoying the show
>>(and giving thanks I live a good mile away from the jokers with the M-80s),
>>I was startled by a green flash from a nearby substation. This thing was
>>BRIGHT - so bright it effectively washed out all other lights for dozens of
>>blocks on either side. The flash itself appeared to be about a half a city
>>block wide. There were two of them, about 10 seconds apart. And funny thing -
>>a lot of people's lights went out. :-)  Anyway, at the time I assumed some

I saw something like this last summer during a storm. Wasn't particularly dark,
plenty of daylight, but the blue flash from this substation was quite amazing.
This happened as we were driving past the substation, on a somewhat remote
rural road. It looked like a Star Trek style explosion, the substation was
about 50 feet from the road but the "flash" appeared to be a glowing blue cloud
that reached well across the other side of the road. Only lasted for a second
or so. A semi w/trailer was driving the opposite direction when it happened,
I think he was just approaching when the flash occurred. We saw him pull off
the road as we drove away.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (01/13/91)

<1991Jan11.234809.19061@cs.ucla.edu> loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
<1991Jan9.200754.8857@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell
>>I was in Miami during New Year's Eve.  The locals there have gone way beyond
>>M-80's.  At midnight, they have this quaint custom of going outside
>>thier automatic and semi-automatic weapons in the sky.
> only 1 legal fully automatic weapon has been used in a crime since 1935
>National Firearms Act (which stiffly regulates the ownership of such weapons)
>I seriously doubt that you heard much automatic weapons fire, but Idon't doubt
>that you heard weapons fire, and quite possibly semi-automatic weapons fire.
>I just doubt that anyone who legally owned a full auto would be shooting it in
>town and risk a serious misdemeanor and I doubt that anyone who illegally owns
>a full auto (a federal felony already) will be advertising it on New Years...

Mike, get a grip, take some guacamole dip and call your analyist.  Illegal
full auto weapons are available in every major city in the country.  I have
het several people who have gone to the big house for peddling them.  A cache
of them were just recovered in northern florida by LEO.  Portions of southern
florida & miami have become a haven for law breaking scum.  They would think
little about getting caught with or shooting a full auto.  This tradition
of weapons fire is a age old one of spanish/south american descent.
I recall a section on cnn saying the number of people accidently shot in
something like bueno aerias (sp) last year, and it was rather scary (just
on that day...).  The accompying audio did sound like a  full blown war.
However, I'd agree that MOST of the shots did come from (generally/usuall/
kinda/sorta) law abiding citizens/resident aliens and originated from either
semi-auto or full manual weapons.  The great number and density of firing
makes the sound and generates the fear of automatic weapons.
   People who use guns to commit crime should be utterly destroyed, and would
simplye use another weapon if available.  The simple fact that a certain is
illegal will not stop or even persuade a criminal from using it, simply
because it's illgeal, after all they are already (committed) to breaking
laws by commiting crimes in the first place.  Focus at the root of the
evil, which is the criminal act, not the weapon used to support a act, and
punish the guilty appropriatrly.  As mike so clearly points out, only a tiny
fraction of legal weapons are used for illegal purposes
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

terryb@cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) (01/14/91)

What the hell is this doing in sci.electronics?