[sci.electronics] Telephone Caller ID

lpdjb@brahms.amd.com (Jerry Bemis) (01/03/91)

How is the caller ID encoded on the phone lines?
Is there an answering machine that records it on the market?
Is there a simple way to display the callers phone number?

reply to LPDJB@brahms.amd.com

In article <1991Jan2.183802.13412@amd.com> lpdjb@brahms.amd.com (Jerry Bemis) writes:
>How is the caller ID encoded on the phone lines?

If you subscribe to caller ID, and the caller is ID-able (i.e. not calling
from the other side of an ancient non-computerized exchange), you get a
burst of modem tones between (as I recall) the first and second ring.
It's one of the old 1200-baud modem encodings, I think.  You get it only
once, and there is no parity or other error detection/correction.

Note that you must subscribe to, and pay for, caller ID.  Contrary to some
mistaken rumors, it is not automatically provided on all phones.  On old
exchanges, it is not available at all.

>Is there an answering machine that records it on the market?

I'm not aware of one, but if it doesn't already exist, I'm sure people
are working on it.

>Is there a simple way to display the callers phone number?

Nothing trivial, given that you need half a modem to even decode the tones.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

ror@grassys.bc.ca (Richard O'Rourke) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.163735.23511@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Jan2.183802.13412@amd.com> lpdjb@brahms.amd.com (Jerry Bemis) writes:
>>How is the caller ID encoded on the phone lines?
>
>It's one of the old 1200-baud modem encodings, I think.  You get it only
>once, and there is no parity or other error detection/correction.

There is a checksum.  If the CID box gets a failed checksum it is
supposed to ignore the data and not display a number.

> "The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

--
Richard O'Rourke: (604)438-8249  | Grass Root Systems: 436-1995
uunet!van-bc!mplex!grassys!ror   | ror@grassys.bc.ca

a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) (01/12/91)

Probably already discussed in some depth, but does anyone _know_ how the
telephone utilities' Caller ID really works.  For example, is there a set of
touch-tones between the 1st and 2nd ring as someone mentioned to me.  I thought
not since that means that ringing might have to be muted on the first ring.

Thanks in advance,
        Ed Meyer

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) (01/14/91)

In article <4417@mindlink.UUCP> a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) writes:
>Probably already discussed in some depth, but does anyone _know_ how the
>telephone utilities' Caller ID really works.

There is a burst of BELL 202 (an ancient standard) modem data between the
first and second rings.  I'm not sure of the exact format.  Probably comp.
dcom.telecom would be helpful..

Side note:  I recall a product being marketed on the east coast that would
automatically pull up a customer's record from dBase when they called.
This used software and hardware to interface the caller ID to dBase.  A
neat idea, I think.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?