[sci.electronics] Rotary relay or something similar?

apollo@buengc.BU.EDU (Doug A. Chan) (01/12/91)

I'm looking for either a rotary relay (another term?) or some other
component which does a similar function...
Basically, it has to:
1) switch a connection to one of multiple lines (maybe max of 8 or 16 circuits)
2) switch on pulses or, preferably, by presenting it a binary # and have it
    automatically connect to that circuit.
3) have contacts that can handle ~50V, 1A
4) BE CHEAP! <$10  (I'd guess it'll have to be used/surplus parts)

If possible, a source for the part would be really nice...

Thanks
-Doug
apollo@raven.bu.edu

matthew@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Matthew Kleinmann) (01/13/91)

apollo@buengc.BU.EDU (Doug A. Chan) writes:

> I'm looking for either a rotary relay (another term?) or some other
> component which does a similar function...
> Basically, it has to:
> 1) switch a connection to one of multiple lines (maybe max of 8 or 16 circuit
> 2) switch on pulses or, preferably, by presenting it a binary # and have it
>     automatically connect to that circuit.
> 3) have contacts that can handle ~50V, 1A
> 4) BE CHEAP! <$10  (I'd guess it'll have to be used/surplus parts)
>
> If possible, a source for the part would be really nice...
>
> -Doug
> apollo@raven.bu.edu

Doug,
     I have the beast you are looking for.  As far as getting them new
and in quanity, good luck!  Your best bet would be to visit your local
pinball house and find out who fixes the old mechanical pinballs, as they
are about the only thing that still uses those sorts of parts.  Expect to
pay around $25 for a used rotery realy.
     If I remember right the realy I have has 20 or so sets of DP
contacts, and increments one contact set per pulse.  A bit of TTL should
get you a thing where you can apply a binary number and have it step to
the right set of contacts.
     If you think it will do what you want I will send it to you for $15
including shipping.  It just is not worth my time to box it up and truck
on over to UPS for less.

--Matthew

==  350 Megabytes Online!    Matthew Kleinmann  300 - 14400 HST & V32  ==
==                                Curator                              ==
==  The Alchemists' Guild     (607) 277-7979    Alchemy International  ==

grayt@Software.Mitel.COM (Tom Gray) (01/15/91)

"
"If possible, a source for the part would be really nice...
"
"Thanks
"-Doug
"apollo@raven.bu.edu

Telephone switching used to use a device like this. Check some of the
telephone interconnect companies in your area/. They may have
a Rotary Switch lying around in their junk bin. You could
also ask them if they have a Strowger or XY switch. A little work
would make these do what you want.