[sci.electronics] Electronic shutter

simpson@sunee.waterloo.edu (KFS Lam) (01/10/91)

Hello, everybody. I am currently designing a robot vision system.
I have a choice either use a cheap CCD sensor with a fast shutter
or a expensive CCD sensor with a storage area. Is anyone out there
has information on electronic shutter? I don't want those that
has mechanical parts. The shutter has to be pure electronics.
It is like a LCD screen which turns black when polarize. Is there
such a thing exist? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

					simpson@sunee.waterloo.edu

\*==================================================================*\
   "You want a signature? But I don't have a signature to give you."

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.200258.9437@sunee.waterloo.edu> simpson@sunee.waterloo.edu (KFS Lam) writes:
>The shutter has to be pure electronics.
>It is like a LCD screen which turns black when polarize. Is there
>such a thing exist? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, they do exist - try Edmund's Scientific.

The videocamera I now use has a High Speed Shutter switch that seems
to do the trick.  I have a hunch that it's a feature of the CCD.

--kyler

hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com (01/15/91)

In article <3493@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>In article <1991Jan9.200258.9437@sunee.waterloo.edu> simpson@sunee.waterloo.edu (KFS Lam) writes:
>>The shutter has to be pure electronics.
>>It is like a LCD screen which turns black when polarize. Is there
>>such a thing exist? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Yes, they do exist - try Edmund's Scientific.

There may be others but all of the LCD 'shutters' I've seen turn
translucent, not opaque when energized. This may be a problem with the
CCD.

John