[sci.electronics] Wanted: Theremin Schematic

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) (01/12/91)

vic spicer asks:

>Would anyone know where I can find schematics for the
>antenna-based [theremin] unit? An article in a "common" hobby
>periodical like Radio Electronics, Popular Electronics, Electronics Today
>etc. would be fine as I have access to microfilm back issues.

Vic, if you have a full-featured library, with microfilmed back
issues, you probably also have the Readers' Guide available...
Finding a specific construction article like this might be a
little hard through the RG indices, but it *would* direct you
to annual or longer-period index of articles in the particular
magazine...

Also, be prepared to find the project uses these wierd
glass-enclosed high voltage FETs, with little lamps inside!  :{)

Actually, if you find some good ones, why don't you post the
particulars back to the Net? I'm sure a number of us would
be interested, if only for historical value.

Dave

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (01/12/91)

>vic spicer asks:
>
>>Would anyone know where I can find schematics for the
>>antenna-based [theremin] unit? An article in a "common" hobby
>>periodical like Radio Electronics, Popular Electronics, Electronics Today
>>etc. would be fine as I have access to microfilm back issues.

The liner notes for the CD "The Art of the Theremin" contains the
schematic.  Delos D/CD 1014, Clara Rockmore is the artist.  However,
the schematic only seems to have some tube numbers and none of the
other component values are given.
--
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000

mbl@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marc LoCascio) (01/13/91)

>Would anyone know where I can find schematics for the
>antenna-based [theremin] unit?

If anyone in the Boston area is interested in this, there's a book
called something like Electronic Musical Instruments or some such from the
60's or early 70's, a copy of which has been among the used music books
at Harvard Book Store in Harvard Sq the last few times I was there.  In it
are schematics for the Moog transistorized theremin from the 60's, the
Mellotron, and a bunch of electronic organs and such.  Most of the stuff is
pretty ancient (e.g. not even up to modular synthesizers), but the theremin
and Mellotron stuff was fun to look at.

	Marc	(mbl@media-lab.media.mit.edu)

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (01/14/91)

>Would anyone know where I can find schematics for the
>antenna-based [theremin] unit?
----------
Popular Electronics did a cover story on them back in the
60-70's. The Beach Boys used one in the background for
the song "Good Vibrations".

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne

weath@sundww.Eng.Sun.COM (David Weatherford) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan11.212851.5122@ccu.umanitoba.ca> vspicer@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>Hello net world
>	A theremin, I'm told, is a primative electronic music device
>controlled by the movement and proximity of a human being to its sensors.
>The mode of sensing is either by antennas (capacitive effect?) or by
>shadows cast on photodetectors. One sensor controls volume, the other
>controls frequency of a simple oscillator. Would anyone know where I can find
>schematics for the antenna-based unit? An article in a "common" hobby
>periodical like Radio Electronics, Popular Electronics, Electronics Today
>etc. would be fine as I have access to microfilm back issues.
>
>thanks
>						vic spicer
>vspicer@ccu.umanitoba.ca

I have a copy of the January 1961 issue of "Electronics World," which
features a transistorized theremin on the cover and contains an article
by Robert Moog on how to build your own.  If you can't locate it, I'd be
willing to photocopy the article for you (5 pages).  The publisher was
Ziff-Davis, One Park Avenue, New York.  I have no idea whether they are
still in business, or where to begin looking for a 30-year-old back issue,
but it looks like it would be fun to play with (if you like winding your
own coils).

Dave Weatherford
weath@Eng.Sun.COM
(415) 336-3143