[sci.electronics] ANOTHER house wiring question

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (01/12/91)

The radio shmuck testers seem to say, and a volt meter seems
to prove, that there is an AC potential between hot and ground
and hot and neutral, but there is no potential between neutral
and ground.

Now ground and neutral clearly are not the same thing. I would
expect negative side effects were I foolish enough to hook
a light bulb between hot and ground.

But wait! In AC, every half cycle the current goes the other
way! So why isn't there a potential between neutral and ground?
Inquiring minds want to know!

What, exactly is the theory here? Ground is connected (basically)
to a big pipe in the dirt, and hot and neutral go up to the pole,
but some more details for a complete software weenie would be
great.

--
Nick Sayer              | Think of me as a recombinant    | RIP: Mel Blanc
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us | Simpson: Homer's looks, Lisa's  |   1908-1989

In article <kJhTxoE@quack.sac.ca.us> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:
>What, exactly is the theory here? Ground is connected (basically)
>to a big pipe in the dirt, and hot and neutral go up to the pole,
>but some more details for a complete software weenie would be
>great.

The current flows through hot and neutral.  Ground is strictly for safety
purposes and never (deliberately) carries current.

Neutral is normally grounded at the pole.  Note, however, that with tens
or hundreds of amps of current flowing in neutral, it is *not* at ground
by the time it gets to you.  V=IR, and the wire's R is not zero.  Neutral
can be very close to ground in a house that isn't pulling much current.
(Beware, this can change unpredictably, e.g. when your housemate puts
a load of washing into the dryer.)  It can be several volts above ground
in upper floors of an apartment building; I've measured it.  Neutral is
not *as* dangerous as hot, but it should never be mistaken for ground.
This is why there is a separate ground pin, for safety.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

k3tx@wells.UUCP (Dave Heller) (01/13/91)

In article <kJhTxoE@quack.sac.ca.us>, mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:
> The radio shmuck testers seem to say, and a volt meter seems
> to prove, that there is an AC potential between hot and ground
> and hot and neutral, but there is no potential between neutral
> and ground.
>
> Now ground and neutral clearly are not the same thing. I would
> expect negative side effects were I foolish enough to hook
> a light bulb between hot and ground.
>
> But wait! In AC, every half cycle the current goes the other
> way! So why isn't there a potential between neutral and ground?
> Inquiring minds want to know!
>
> What, exactly is the theory here? Ground is connected (basically)
> to a big pipe in the dirt, and hot and neutral go up to the pole,
> but some more details for a complete software weenie would be
> great.
>
> --
> Nick Sayer              | Think of me as a recombinant    | RIP: Mel Blanc
> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us | Simpson: Homer's looks, Lisa's  |   1908-1989
> N6QQQ  [44.2.1.17]      | brains, Bart's manners, and     |  May he never
> 209-952-5347 (Telebit)  | Maggie's appetite for TV.  --Me |  be silenced.

There should be a continuous hot and return path for the actual
power consumed.

There should also for safety and many other considerations
be a solid GROUND throughout the system.

It is a fact that the so-called NEUTRAL is at ground potential, so
technically shorting Neutral to Ground should be a zero-current affair.

As a practical matter, NO.

The Neutral is at "steady state ground" but may not be at the transient
ground, especially under fault conditions.

Neutral WILL be grounded, but at one place only, generally a ground rod
below the service entrance.  And this should be the only place.

Continuity of ground is most important, however.
Much new construction uses non-metallic (i.e., plastic) junction boxes,
for which grounding is rather difficult.
In my opinion the use of plastic boxes is a damn foolish way
of economizing just a little bit.  However, most contractors use
 the cheapest devices and junk they can get, on the premise that
not every house miswired is going to catch fire (just a few) and
that not every ;house fire does a lot of damage or kills somebody --
just a few, so the hell with it because they got paid for the job
long since.

Suggestion:  what some "professional" electricians do is bad enough,
but the doityourself stuff is often worse.  If you have to ask,
don't try doing it without EXPERT supervision.

K3TX

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/14/91)

In article <kJhTxoE@quack.sac.ca.us>, mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:

> Now ground and neutral clearly are not the same thing. I would
> expect negative side effects were I foolish enough to hook
> a light bulb between hot and ground.

Ground and neutral are hooked together at the electrical
service entrance or on your breaker panel.

> But wait! In AC, every half cycle the current goes the other
> way! So why isn't there a potential between neutral and ground?
> Inquiring minds want to know!

The shift in current direction has nothing to do with it, but
actually there usually is a small potential between ground and
neutral at an outlet, depending on the load and the wire
resistance.

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP

robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) (01/15/91)

In article <kJhTxoE@quack.sac.ca.us> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:
>Now ground and neutral clearly are not the same thing. I would
>expect negative side effects were I foolish enough to hook
>a light bulb between hot and ground.

Ground and neutral are exactly the same thing.  If you were to trace the
wires back to your breaker box, you would find bare wires (ground) and white
wires (neutral) both connected to a grounding strip.  The hot wire's potential
varies from ~170V above ground to ~170V below ground.  The two wires that come
from the pole are both hot, BUT, the sine waves are 180 degrees out of phase
with one another, so when one is at +170, the other is at -170, and if you
connect something to those two, you will have a 340V sine wave.  (values are
peak, not RMS...RMS would be about 120 and 240).

MY QUESTION is, if you don't have 3-wire connections in your house, why
can't you connect the white wire to the ground lug and conuit/boxes, etc???

Rob robf@cs.umr.edu

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (01/15/91)

In article <1948@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) writes:
->Ground and neutral are exactly the same thing.  If you were to trace the
->wires back to your breaker box, you would find bare wires (ground) and
->white wires (neutral) both connected to a grounding strip.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^

anyone know why they choose BLACK for the hot wire and WHITE for
neutral?  I always associated black wires with ground.

mike
--
Won't look like rain,           Won't look like snow,            | DOD #000007
Won't look like fog,            That's all we know!              | AMA #511250

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) (01/15/91)

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
>anyone know why they choose BLACK for the hot wire and WHITE for
>neutral?  I always associated black wires with ground.

I wondered about that too when I saw some North American terminals over here
in Australia. We used RED (now BROWN) = Active, BLACK (now BLUE) = Neutral
and GREEN (now GREEN with YELLOW stripe) and all the terminals had neutral
and active swapped (presumably when the importer installed the Australian
crow foot* plugs). The new colours are the IEC standard.

*	Active  /   \  Neutral	(facing power socket)

		  |  Ground	(10 Amp General Purpose Outlet)

				(15 Amp has larger earth pin)
				(20 Amp has all pins larger)
--
David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (01/15/91)

In article <1948@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) writes:
>In article <kJhTxoE@quack.sac.ca.us> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:
>>Now ground and neutral clearly are not the same thing. I would
>>expect negative side effects were I foolish enough to hook
>>a light bulb between hot and ground.

	One easily seen effect would be the tripping of the GFI (ground-
fault interrupter) on that circuit.  All kitchens, baths, and outdoor
sockets (including sockets in unheated garages) must be GFI-connected
nowadays.  The GFI looks at the current in the HOT minus NEUTRAL
wires, and if the difference is nonzero, it trips just like a
breaker would trip during a short circuit.

>Ground and neutral are exactly the same thing.  If you were to trace the
>wires back to your breaker box, you would find bare wires (ground) and white
>wires (neutral) both connected to a grounding strip.

	Wrong place to look.  The appliances take current from HOT and
return the current through NEUTRAL to complete the circuit, NEVER
putting any current through GROUND except in a sparks-flying fault
condition.  As a result, the far end (away from the breaker panel)
of the NEUTRAL wire will exhibit I*R voltage due to the current
drawn (and a cheap Skilsaw can easily top 50 amperes for a few
milliseconds in normal starting).  The resistance and inductance of
the neutral wire will cause some voltage drop (16VAC is not unheard
of).  Just because ONE end is connected to ground, doesn't mean
the wire is grounded!  The ground wire has no other connections,
barring faults, so connecting one end to ground IS sufficient.

>   The two wires that come from the pole are both hot,

	Miscount!  Three wires come from the pole: two phases of
120 VAC and neutral.  That neutral wire is grounded to the same
water pipe and grounding block in your breaker box as the
ground and neutral wires connect to.  The omission of the neutral
wire would require perfect current balance between 120V appliances
on the two phases (not likely.)  All the houses on the block will
typically have ground connections for that neutral wire, so losing
one connection might not have immediate consequences, though.

I am known for my brilliance,                John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

jws@cica4.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) (01/15/91)

In article <5884@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:

>anyone know why they choose BLACK for the hot wire and WHITE for
>neutral?  I always associated black wires with ground.

 I think it was done that way because the average schmoe associates
black with death, i.e. "don't touch that one, dummy"

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (01/16/91)

Ground and neutral are supposed to be connected together at the transformer.
That's why there's never a substantial potential difference between
ground and neutral.

Incidentally, "every half cycle the voltage goes the other way" has
nothing to do with it. It reverses polarity, but it's still connected
across exactly the same wires.

The power for your house comes out of a 220-volt-center-tapped transformer
winding with the center tap grounded, and connected to Neutral.
Live is _either_ of the other 2 transformer wires, depending on which circuit
of your house you happen to be looking at.

dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (01/16/91)

In article <5884@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
>anyone know why they choose BLACK for the hot wire and WHITE for
>neutral?  I always associated black wires with ground.

The standard of BLACK and WHITE for power probably predates that for other
electronic wiring where BLACK is ground and RED is hot (such as that used in
old vacuum tube devices).

Perhaps a better question is why did the later standards ignore (and violate)
the earlier one(s)?

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (01/16/91)

>Ground and neutral are exactly the same thing.  If you were to trace the
>wires back to your breaker box, you would find bare wires (ground) and white
>wires (neutral) both connected to a grounding strip.  The hot wire's potential
>varies from ~170V above ground to ~170V below ground.  The two wires that come
>from the pole are both hot, BUT, the sine waves are 180 degrees out of phase
>with one another, so when one is at +170, the other is at -170, and if you
>connect something to those two, you will have a 340V sine wave.  (values are
>peak, not RMS...RMS would be about 120 and 240).

Well, they're the "same thing" before you have any current, but they're
definitely NOT the same thing from that point on.

The difference is that the "white wire" neutral is the *intended* return
path for current on the circuit; as such, it is always, at any outlet on
the branch, at some potential above ground due to the effect of such
current and the resistance of the neutral wire (E=IR, right?).  It is
NOT "guaranteed" to be at zero volts.  The "green wire" ground, though,
normally carries no return current, and so is always at a lower potential -
zero, unless some current is flowing in the ground wire due to a fault
condition.  The idea to to give the lowest possible potential on the
"ground" wire in the event that a fault does occur, and so requires this
wire to carry return current.

>MY QUESTION is, if you don't have 3-wire connections in your house, why
>can't you connect the white wire to the ground lug and conuit/boxes, etc???

See why now?  You DON'T want the ground wire to normally be carrying return
current, or else it would be at some potential above "ground "at the outlet.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.142034.5801@mlb.semi.harris.com> jws@cica4.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) writes:
>In article <5884@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
>>
>>anyone know why they choose BLACK for the hot wire and WHITE for
>>neutral?  I always associated black wires with ground.
>>
> I think it was done that way because the average schmoe associates
>black with death, i.e. "don't touch that one, dummy"

US Three-phase color coding:
GReen=GRound
White=Neutral (white is sorta a neutral color, I guess..)
Black=Phase 1
Red=Phase 2
Blue=Phase 3

Working with 50, 100,...,1200 amp AC three-phase services, I have seen
these colors used a whole lot. I have also seen black=ground, red=hot...
in low-voltage DC electronics. They're pretty much different critters,
so the color confusion doesn't bother me much. Kinda hard to confuse black
0000 gauge with black 24 gauge wire :-)

Anyway, this is where the green(or bare)=ground, white=neutral, black=hot
color scheme for three wire AC cables comes from.

--
Disclaimer: Yeah, right, like you really believe I run this place.
John R. Murray              |        "Never code anything

steve@nuchat.sccsi.com (Steve Nuchia) (01/16/91)

In <1948@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) writes:
>Ground and neutral are exactly the same thing.  If you were to trace the

And more dangerous speculation.

It probably doesn't need to be said here, but I'll feel better
if I say it anyway:  If you don't know that you know what
you're doing, don't play around with your wiring.

There.  I do feel better.

Now, I'll lay it all out for reference.  This isn't electronics,
but maybe it will enlighten some, and help others avoid being
lit up :-)

Power wiring is always discussed in nominal RMS, peak is of
interest only when engineering insulation and protection systems.
99.999% of all wiring is done using pre-engineered components which
have their voltage and current ratings tabulated in nominal
RMS terms in catalogs and handbooks and such.

Residential service is normally provided from overhead or buried
high voltage distribution lines through a transformer serving one
or several subscribers.  The distribution is often a 3-phase Y,
but rural branches may have only one power conductor plus the
ground return.  Several other arrangements can be used to suit
the power company's needs.  Distribution lines are typically in
the 15 - 45 kV range.  The distribution circuit is protected by
overcurrent devices and ground-fault detection devices at the
substation, but it takes one heck of a fault to open those.

The subscriber transformer primary is often wired from one phase to
neutral on the distribution side, but phase-to-phase is sometimes
used.  If you have three-phase service (normally the case only
for industrial and large commercial customers) the transformer
primary is attached to all three distribution phases (and maybe neutral).
Autotransformer configurations are also used, I believe.

The residential transformer secondary is a single phase 240 volt
center tapped winding.  The center tap is coupled at the pole
to a ground rod and to the service drop neutral conductor.  This
positively limits the voltage on the service cables, relative
to ground, to a few times the nominal service voltage.  It also
ensures that a core short will draw enough current to open an
upstream protection device.

The three wire single phase service entrance cable passes through the
meter and into the customer's distribution panel.  There the neutral
is again bonded to grounds, including the frame if it is a metal
building.  This limits the voltage present on the interior wiring
relative to ground -- if the service were not gounded the whole
circuit would float.  The rules for what should and should not
be grounded, and where, and how, are complex.  Not terribly
technical, but lots of cases and exceptions have to be dealt with.
In general, neutral and ground are bonded at the service entrance
and kept separate throughout the rest of the interior wiring system.

The cable system from the transformer to the meter, together with
the transformer secondary winding, is capable of delivering some
calculable short circuit current.  There should be an overcurrent
protection device somewhere in the circuit capable of interrupting
that much current.  It is typically in the 10-20 thousand amp
range, and typical residential breaker box panels should have a main
breaker or fuse rated to handle the maximum allowble short circuit
current for a residential service drop.  If the overcurrent protection
device is a fuse there should also be a master disconnect switch.

The distribution panel supplies the two "phases" to the branch
breakers in an alternating pattern.  120V branch circuits are
assigned essentially at random to the two sides of the supply,
240V circuits use dual breakers straddling the two phases.  Due
to I^2R losses it is best to balance the loads as much as possible,
but people seldom bother.  Many breaker boxes are arranged in such
a way that only certain positions will accept a 240V circuit, or it
will only work in certain positions.  If you ever have to work inside
a breaker box you should be able to puzzle out its configuration rules
just by looking at it.

Note that the dual breakers for 240 circuits (and tripples for 3-phase)
are not just two single breakers with their handles wired together.
The trip mechanisms are connected internally so they open both
sets of contacts together more reliably than can be achieved by
tying the handles together.

Examining the interior wiring plant as a circuit, we have several
loops carying varying amounts of current.  Many of those loops involve
the neutral conductor, some are balanced 240V loads.  The neutral
current on any given 120V branch circuit is the same as the supply
current.  The overall current in the service neutral is the difference
of the currents in the two supply wires.

Interior wiring is normally designed with voltage drops in the wires
of no more than a couple of volts, so the neutral at an outlet is
normally very near the ground potential at that outlet.

Ok.  Now it get interesting.  Power system engineers earn their feed
by saving money in normal operation and saving lives and property
in fault conditions.  An electrical distribution system with a fault
looks very little like the nice little circuit model you might think
it should resemble.

Lets take three fault scenarios.

Consider an open neutral in a branch circuit.  That neutral
conductor, on the load side of the fault, now carries 120V with the load
in series limiting the current.  If that condutor is exposed
downstream of the fault a life-threatening hazard exists.  It
bears repeating that the minimum lethal dose of electric current is
in the 20 mA range.  A dangling neutral with a 100W bulb in
series can supply 50 times that (ignoring the fact that the
filament is cold).  A few volts between the cold water supply and the
drain pipe can kill a person in the bath tub.

Consider a fault to neutral -- a common scenario.  Hundreds
of amps flow through a circuit designed for 15, and you get tens
of volts dropped in the neutral.  Not only resistive voltage drop
needs to be considered -- there is a considerable inductance in
the loop.  Now if there are multiple connections between the neutral
and various "ground" points there will be currents flowing in those
grounds, which have non-negligable resistance.  different pieces
of the ground network will be at different potentials, and unless
one controls the geometry carefully (no one does), those pieces may
be close enough together for people to short themselves between them.
Yes, the overcurrent protection device will open, but it will take at
least a few milliseconds and possibly several hundred.

Consider a fault to the chassis of an appliance.  Nah, lets leave
off with the above.  In a ground fault scenario it doesn't make much
difference how the neutral is wired.  That's why we have ground fault
detectors.  By the way, in addition to the ground fault receptacles
now available (and required for bathrooms) you can get ground fault
circuit breakers for most kinds of panels.  Pricey ($40ish) but it
might come in handy sometime.  You can also get breakers with remote
control inputs or (and?) alarm outputs.  Get creative.

The important thing to remember is that you have to forget the
idea that a wire is a node.  Wires are distributed resistive+inductive
circuit elements with several potential failure modes.  And ground
is a network, not a node.  It's a lot like RF.

If any of the above comes as a surprise, you should probably limit
your electrical handy-man efforts to replacing dead parts in existing
circuits and maybe cook-booking low current (<= 20 A) branch circuits.
Find and *use* a cookbook though, don't try to wing it.  And don't
believe the salescritters at the hardware store either.  Some know
what they're talking about, but unless you know what they're talking
about you can't tell them apart from the ones who don't.

If you want to do something that is beyond your certain knowledge,
get out the phone book and call some of the small (ie, one-man)
electricians.  Chances are you can find one who will agree to check
your work (and/or plans).  You save money and still have the comfort
of a journeyman's OK.  Do I need to add that you shouldn't expect
to get his time for free?

Finally, I've probably messed up some of the above.  With probability 1,
I'm misusing some technical terms.  I'm not interested in being corrected
about trivial things, though substantive corrections are most welcome.
This is not a professional opinion.  You get what you pay for.
Be careful out there.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
	"Could we find tools that would teach their own use,

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.223300.8560@cs.uow.edu.au> david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) writes:
>bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
>>anyone know why they choose BLACK for the hot wire and WHITE for
>>neutral?  I always associated black wires with ground.
>
>I wondered about that too when I saw some North American terminals over here
>in Australia. We used RED (now BROWN) = Active, BLACK (now BLUE) = Neutral
>and GREEN (now GREEN with YELLOW stripe) ...

Right, let's have some confusion.  Here is what our booklet on safety
regulations lists for international "standards":
		2 wire cable			3 wire cable
		Live	   Neutral	Live	   Neutral	Earth
Great Britain	Brown	   Blue		Brown	   Blue		Green & Yellow

Canada		Black*	   White or	Black	   White or	Green &
			   Grey			   Grey		Green Yellow

Denmark		Black*	   Blue		Brown or   Blue		Green & Yellow
					Black

Finland		Black or   Blue		Brown	   Blue		Green & Yellow
		Brown

Greece		Anything   Grey		Anything   Grey		Yellow
		except			except
		Grey,			Grey,
		Yellow			Yellow
		or Blue			or Blue

Japan		Black	   White	Black	   White	Red

Poland		Black*	   Blue		Black	   Blue		Green & Yellow

Switzerland	Anything   Anything	Brown	   Blue		Green & Yellow
		except	   except
		Yellow	   Yellow
		and Blue   and Red

USA		Black*	   White or	Black	   White or	Green or
			   Grey			   Grey		Green & Yellow

*Black for live in 2 core cords is now being replaced by Brown.

My list doesn't include Australia, who being upside down use black for
neutral, because it isn't in our book.  So much for our book.  Note that
Japan is listed as using red for earth!  Also note that Switzerland's entry
for 2 wire cable looks nasty - taking this list literally, they could quite
happily use black and white for live and neutral in any way they choose.
In general, black or brown seems to always be live (except in Australia);
blue, white or grey is always neutral; green, yellow or a mixture is always
earth.

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

k3tx@wells.UUCP (Dave Heller) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.035358.28312@nuchat.sccsi.com>, steve@nuchat.sccsi.com (Steve Nuchia) writes:

> And more dangerous speculation.
>
> If any of the above comes as a surprise, you should probably limit
> your electrical handy-man efforts to replacing dead parts in existing
> circuits and maybe cook-booking low current (<= 20 A) branch circuits.
> Find and *use* a cookbook though, don't try to wing it.  And don't
> believe the salescritters at the hardware store either.  Some know
> what they're talking about, but unless you know what they're talking
> about you can't tell them apart from the ones who don't.
>
> If you want to do something that is beyond your certain knowledge,
> get out the phone book and call some of the small (ie, one-man)
> electricians.  Chances are you can find one who will agree to check
> your work (and/or plans).  You save money and still have the comfort
> of a journeyman's OK.  Do I need to add that you shouldn't expect
> to get his time for free?
>
> Finally, I've probably messed up some of the above.  With probability 1,
> I'm misusing some technical terms.  I'm not interested in being corrected
> about trivial things, though substantive corrections are most welcome.
> This is not a professional opinion.  You get what you pay for.
> Be careful out there.
> --
> Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462

The only thing in Steve's posting I take issue with is his
disclaimer.  He hasn't messed up -=- a nice job of describing
what seems to the high tech boys as something as complicated
as a doorbell circuit.

The routing by which some sort of energy is converted to the
juice in our wall plugs, the technology and the work schedules
of ALL those in the industry has to be lived with to be appreciated.

The miracle is that it is kept as dependable as it is, and that
there are so few instances of property damage and injuries associated.

And, really, most of this latter is traceable to the Do-It-Youself-ers
and the lower levels of self-defined professionals.

As in every other essential field, the really good people are hard
to find, but end up being the cheapest.  How do you find them?

Good question.   They work by referral.  Only the people who can't
get referral and repeat business need big advertising, so in general,
the bigger the yellow pages ad the poorer the quality.  (The extreme
is the tradesman or professional with unlisted phone.   It does happen.)

One good caveat:  Don't pay any mind to the UL label on electrical
devices.  Look for the CSA (SA in a broken circle = C).  The Canadians
are much more realistic in deciding what's safe to use than USA.
Please note that many of the cheapie switches and receptacles at the
hardware store LACK the CSA marking.  This is a good indication that
they'd be over priced if they were FREE.

I don't like the idea of the d-i-y doing his own house wiring or
repairs even with cookbook in hand.  I've seen too many bad, and
some VERY bad results.

A competent hands-on engineer certainly should be able to do any
wiring work. Experience and practical engineering skills are
more important than being able to read the cookbook.  But the
general rule should be:  If y ou have to ask, don't try to do it.

ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) (01/17/91)

robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) writes:

>In article <kJhTxoE@quack.sac.ca.us> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:
>>Now ground and neutral clearly are not the same thing. I would
>>expect negative side effects were I foolish enough to hook
>>a light bulb between hot and ground.

Actually, the bulb will work fine.  By using a pig tail lamp (100w) its a good
idea to make sure that the bulb works fine between hot and ground - as
this checks out the ground path to make sure it is a good connection.
Note that is the circuit being tested is a gfi (ground fault interrupter)
this will (should) cause the unit to trip.

>Ground and neutral are exactly the same thing.  If you were to trace the
>wires back to your breaker box, you would find bare wires (ground) and white
>wires (neutral) both connected to a grounding strip.  The hot wire's potential
>varies from ~170V above ground to ~170V below ground.  The two wires that come
>from the pole are both hot, BUT, the sine waves are 180 degrees out of phase
>with one another, so when one is at +170, the other is at -170, and if you
>connect something to those two, you will have a 340V sine wave.  (values are
>peak, not RMS...RMS would be about 120 and 240).

If you check a copy of the NEC (National Electric Code) you will find out
that neutral and ground are not the same thing.
Note that these comments really only apply to the United States code.

Yes it is true (at least in the Chicago area) that the neutral wire upon
entrance to a building is to be "bonded" or tied to the chasis of the
circuit panel.  This is usually done via a small bonding lug that comes
out of the neutral bus bar and gets connected to the chasis of the panel.
A wire then connects from the neutral bus to the street side of the water
pipe (if metallic) or to a series of ground stakes.  This is the ONLY
place that neutral and ground should be in common in the building.

The emt (conduit) or bx sheath, or ground wire of romax (etc.) is not
intended to be a normal current carrying circuit.  It is there as a
safety ground such that if an appliance fails (loose wire, meltdown, etc)
the ground will short out the fuse or breaker and stop any further problems.
The neutral wire is intended to be a normal current carrying circuit
(is sometimes called the return path - although in a.c. its ...).

If you attach a neutral wire to ground anywhere else in your building,
you can create ground loops which I wont go into here.

>MY QUESTION is, if you don't have 3-wire connections in your house, why
>can't you connect the white wire to the ground lug and conuit/boxes, etc???

A very dangerous idea. Besides being illegal (against local and national codes)
it could prove very dangerous.  Many appliances (like washers & dryers)
have their chasis tied to earth ground.  If you tie the neutral wire to
the ground lug on the outlet, you have essentially tied the chasis to
neutral.  Because the neutral wire is current carrying, it is possible
that due to resistance in the wire (IR drop) and/or poor connections that
a voltage drop may exist between the neutral at the outlet and your circuit
panel.  Now if someone (like a small child) brushes up against the chasis and
happens (and it does happen) to touch a water pipe - a nice shock can
be had!

Electrical work is really pretty easy stuff.  And because engineers and techs
have an understanding of electronics - they often think that wiring a house
is the same.  The problem is that there are code laws out there to protect
us from unforseen and misunderstood problems.  If you are not aware of these
practices - PLEASE contact someone who knows.  Like a licenses (but not
necessarily union) electrician.

If you dont know what your doing, don't.

--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (01/17/91)

[ Uh oh, here we go again!  It's my turn, guys, I saw it first! ]

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER.

This idea seems to make it around sci.electronics at least once a year
or so.

                       +------------------------+
                       +------------------------+

> Article <1948@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> From: robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina)

>In article <kJhTxoE@quack.sac.ca.us> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:
>>Now ground and neutral clearly are not the same thing. I would
>>expect negative side effects were I foolish enough to hook
>>a light bulb between hot and ground.

[It will work, but you don't want to run it this way]

>Ground and neutral are exactly the same thing.  If you were to trace the
>wires back to your breaker box, you would find bare wires (ground) and white
>wires (neutral) both connected to a grounding strip.

Neutral exists as a return path for the current.  It is an active part
of the current flow.  Ground, on the other hand, is there for safety.
You should never (NEVER) use ground as a designated return path for the
current.  Ground exists (for among many other reasons) so that if a
device's insulation fails, there is a safe path for current to return
so that the fuse or circuit breaker can trip.  You wouldn't want that
return path to be you...

>MY QUESTION is, if you don't have 3-wire connections in your house, why
>can't you connect the white wire to the ground lug and conuit/boxes, etc???

Have you ever disconnected a piece of conduit that was acting as neutral,
or even touched one while standing on a wet concrete floor?  It's unpleasant,
to say the least, and it surprises the hell out of you!

-j
--
J. Deters
INTERNET:  jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG  We've changed our location, and

gaarder@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Gaarder) (01/18/91)

>>MY QUESTION is, if you don't have 3-wire connections in your house, why
>>can't you connect the white wire to the ground lug and conuit/boxes, etc???

If you did this, and the neutral wire failed open for any reason, all of the
metal parts of 3-prong appliances would become live, not to mention the
outlet boxes, etc.  Painful.  Possibly FATAL.

I once lived in an old farmhouse.  If you've never seen farmhouse wiring,
you don't know what funky wiring means.  Farmers are the original do-it-
yourselfers; they never hire anyone to do anything they can possibly do
themselves.  Splices without enclosing boxes, for example, are common.

Well, one day I finished up the dishes, pulled the chain to shut off the
light, and reached for the faucet to turn off the water.  YOW!!!!!  Hmmm...
light bulb connected between chain & faucet glows to full brightness...
I was lucky to be alive.  After considerable prowling, I found that the whole
kitchen & dining room was wired with romex with a grounding wire.  This romex
was fed from some romex without a grounding wire.  So the grounds
were all connected together, and left floating.  Then, in TWO SEPARATE outlet
boxes, there was a short from the hot to the ground (accidental, not wired
that way).  So *every* outlet box and grounding prong was live.

Steve Gaarder
gaarder@theory.tn.cornell.edu
...!cornell!batcomputer!gaarder

steve@nuchat.sccsi.com (Steve Nuchia) (01/18/91)

In article <896@wells.UUCP> k3tx@wells.UUCP (Dave Heller) writes:
>And, really, most of this [damage] is traceable to the Do-It-Youself-ers
>and the lower levels of self-defined professionals.
>I don't like the idea of the d-i-y doing his own house wiring or
>repairs even with cookbook in hand.  I've seen too many bad, and
>some VERY bad results.

This was an amplification to a comment I had made, but I'm not sure
I completely agree with the radical position.  A generally competent
do-it-yourselfer should be able to follow a good example safely for
the most common types of branch circuits.  The bad results I have seen
have been the result of corner-cutting -- using the wrong size wire,
passing cable through knock-outs without clamps, splicing or tapping
without benefit of box, and overloading existing circuits rather than
running a new one.  With a dose of humility and a willingness to follow
even those rules he doesn't understand the d-i-y can be safe.  The
problem is some of them don't even stop to wonder what the rules are.