[sci.electronics] Minimum requirements for CPU

terryb@cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) (01/16/91)

tdaniel@hubcap.clemson.edu (tod daniels) writes:

> I've just started a project which will require some sort of control device
> which must be capable of collecting data and storing it, then manipulating
> it.
>
> I would like to use an 8085, and I'd like to know what are the bare essential
> for running this chip??  I only need a small amount of RAM, some ROM, a way
> to read brief ASCII data, and a way to poll about four different on/off
> switches.  Would I be better of to find a chip with on-chip ROM, RAM, and I/O
> Or should I go for the 8085 with as many chips as are necessary to make this
> project work??

As a microprocessor, the 8085 was supplanted in price and performance by
the Zilog Z80 quite a few years ago.  In any event, for what you're doing,
you may want to consider a microcomputer such as one of the 8051 family,
which have RAM, I/O, and ROM (if you want) onboard.  Get the MCS-51
family manuals from your local Intel sales office.

jimp@sequent.UUCP (James Pilcher) (01/16/91)

In article <12610@hubcap.clemson.edu> tdaniel@hubcap.clemson.edu (tod daniels) writes:

>I've just started a project which will require some sort of control device
>which must be capable of collecting data and storing it, then manipulating
>it.
>
>I would like to use an 8085, and I'd like to know what are the bare essentials
>for running this chip??  I only need a small amount of RAM, some ROM, a way
>to read brief ASCII data, and a way to poll about four different on/off
>switches.  Would I be better of to find a chip with on-chip ROM, RAM, and I/O??
>Or should I go for the 8085 with as many chips as are necessary to make this
>project work??
>
>If this all seems a little vague, e-mail me for more specs.
>
>Thanks...
>
>	tod daniels -- tdaniel@hubcap.clemson.edu

it seems to me you need an intel 8051. this has 128 bytes of onboard
"registers", is available with eprom, and has 24 bits of i/o ports,
all on one chip. it would give you a much lower chip count, and is
a well proven chip.

helpfully, jimp

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (01/16/91)

In article <12610@hubcap.clemson.edu> tdaniel@hubcap.clemson.edu (tod daniels) writes:
->
->I've just started a project which will require some sort of control device
->which must be capable of collecting data and storing it, then manipulating
->it.
->
->I would like to use an 8085, and I'd like to know what are the bare essentials
->for running this chip??  I only need a small amount of RAM, some ROM, a way
->to read brief ASCII data, and a way to poll about four different on/off
->switches.  Would I be better of to find a chip with on-chip ROM, RAM, and I/O??
->Or should I go for the 8085 with as many chips as are necessary to make this
->project work??

ues an Intel 8051-variant.  Built in (EP)ROM, RAM, I/O ports and a serial
port, plus timers and other neat stuff.

mike
--
Won't look like rain,           Won't look like snow,            | DOD #000007
Won't look like fog,            That's all we know!              | AMA #511250

dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (01/16/91)

In article <50574@sequent.UUCP> jimp@crg1.UUCP (James Pilcher) writes:
>In article <12610@hubcap.clemson.edu> tdaniel@hubcap.clemson.edu (tod daniels) writes:
>>
>>I've just started a project which will require some sort of control device
>>which must be capable of collecting data and storing it, then manipulating
>>it.
>>
>>I would like to use an 8085, and I'd like to know what are the bare essentials
>>for running this chip??  I only need a small amount of RAM, some ROM, a way
>>to read brief ASCII data, and a way to poll about four different on/off
>>switches.  Would I be better of to find a chip with on-chip ROM, RAM, and I/O??
>>Or should I go for the 8085 with as many chips as are necessary to make this
>>project work??
>
>it seems to me you need an intel 8051. this has 128 bytes of onboard
>"registers", is available with eprom, and has 24 bits of i/o ports,
>all on one chip. it would give you a much lower chip count, and is
>a well proven chip.

  Jim is correct. An 8051, or maybe a Motorola part, would solve your
problem more easily, from what I can tell, than the more general 8085.
In the Intel MCS-51 family, though, there are many variants. The later
variants are quite neat, with high function capture/compare timers
and A/D converters and stuff like that.

  The barebones chip, without an on-chip ROM (which would be useless for
you since you need to write your own s/w) is an 8031. A CMOS part is
available also, and is known as the 80C31. The 8032 has an additional
timer on the chip with enhanced baud rate generation, also the '32 has
an additional 128 bytes of RAM for a total of 256 bytes. The MCS-51
family uses distinct code and data address spaces, up to 64k of each.
There are instructions to read code space as data (such as looking up
a table or other constant). There is no 80C32 from Intel; other vendors
may offer such a part. Intel offers the 80C51FA, which is like a CMOS
8032 but has the neat 'Programmable Counter Array', which provides
capture/compare + watchdog + timers/interrupts. Neat chip, about
$10 in small lots. The 80C31 is about $4 in small lots. If you can
get a deal on surplus, programmed 8051 or 8052 chips, these work
equally well with external memory (see below).

  There are 32 bits of I/O on the chip; if you use an EPROM or
ROM part (once again, this may not be practical) you can use all 32 bits.
When using the chip with external program/data memory, you need to
hang an octal latch (one of the following: 74LS373, 74LS573, 74HC373 or
74HC573 - the '573 is the same as a '373 with a better pin-out) off of
Port 0 and use Port 2 as the upper 8 bits of address; effectively reducing
you to 16 bits of I/O. If you use any of the extended functions, like the
on-chip serial port or external interrupts, you give up additional I/O
pins (they're shared). Call up Intel and order the Automotive Handbook
or the Embedded Controller Handbook (2 volume set). The Automotive book
is cheaper than the 2 volume Embedded Controller set, and has all the
salient data. Signetics also sells '51 family parts.

  I've use MCS-51 parts for lots of things; they're pretty good. The
MCS-96 is REALLY neat, but probably overkill for most little things.
(Though an 80C196KA with A/D converter makes a really good lab
 controller... you can measure voltages, period, time, frequency,
 you name it, and the chip is easy to write code for).

--
/*
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*

josef@nixpbe.nixdorf.de (josef Moellers) (01/17/91)

In <12610@hubcap.clemson.edu> tdaniel@hubcap.clemson.edu (tod daniels) writes:

>I've just started a project which will require some sort of control device
>which must be capable of collecting data and storing it, then manipulating
>it.

>I would like to use an 8085, and I'd like to know what are the bare essentials
>for running this chip??  I only need a small amount of RAM, some ROM, a way
>to read brief ASCII data, and a way to poll about four different on/off
>switches.  Would I be better of to find a chip with on-chip ROM, RAM, and I/O??
>Or should I go for the 8085 with as many chips as are necessary to make this
>project work??

I've used the Z8 from Zilog. With the BASIC interpreter (don't know the
exact type), I could build a small system (of limited use) with a Z8 and
a MAX232 and a +5V power supply.
BTW there is a version of the MCS31 chips: 8052-BASIC which also comes
with a BASIC interpreter. You might consider this option , if speed is
uncritical and the lower price of software development jsutifies the
higher chip price.

--
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG |
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixdorf.com	| Abt. STO-XS 113			     |

sjb@dalek.iwarp.intel.com (Seth J. Bradley) (01/20/91)

>In <12610@hubcap.clemson.edu> tdaniel@hubcap.clemson.edu (tod daniels) writes:
>>I've just started a project which will require some sort of control device
>>which must be capable of collecting data and storing it, then manipulating
>>it.
>>I would like to use an 8085, and I'd like to know what are the bare essentials
>>for running this chip??  I only need a small amount of RAM, some ROM, a way
>>to read brief ASCII data, and a way to poll about four different on/off
>>switches.  Would I be better of to find a chip with on-chip ROM, RAM, and I/O??

Why not go with an 8748?  It has plenty of I/O lines, a small amount
of RAM, 1K of EPROM, a clock generator, and it has an instruction
set similar to the 8085.  Its also fairly inexpensive.  Sorry
about not having more detailed information, but its been several
years since I've used the chip.

--
Seth J. Bradley   Address: sjb@dalek.iwarp.intel.com
		       Or: dalek.UUCP!sjb