[sci.electronics] solar cells

joehol@microsoft.UUCP (Joseph HOLMAN) (11/06/90)

	I'm looking for a supplier of Solar Cells, other than Radio Shack.
	(i've got their price already...)

	Can somebody out there give me a telephone # ???

	Joe Holman

	uunet!uw-beaver!microsoft!joehol
	joehol@microsoft.uucp

	206-936-8921.

ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) (12/18/90)

 I am intrigued by solar methods of generating power. What I
would like to know, is what is keeping this method from becoming
the cleanest power generating method available?

0> How does a solar cell work? How do they work in arrays?
   Are they high current/low voltage sources or vice-versa?

1> How good is the regulation of a cell over a variable load?
   Meaning, if there was no regulation circuitry after the cell
   output, what will happen?

2> What are these cells made of? How is this different from the
   photo-voltaic effect? Is it any different?

2a>Do these cells work on light energy? Or is it heat? Infra red?

3> Typically, what is the efficiency of such a cell?

4> Where can I get a solar array? What are the different prices
   that I would expect to pay?

5> Is any company active in this research?  What kind of results
   are they having?

   I'd appreciate anyone helping me to find the answer to these
questions and more. It all started when I read that all that is
required is that about 2% of the energy incident on the earth (from
the sun) is sufficient to meet all human power needs for the next
century. How realistic is this? We do have a lot of sun in the
Sahara, you know.....

                                            --Shailendra

--
 Physical:  Shailendra Save,      Logical:  ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu
            2303 Conger Baits II,    UUCP:  ...!umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!ssave

In article <1990Dec17.190857.16559@engin.umich.edu> ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) writes:
> I am intrigued by solar methods of generating power. What I
>would like to know, is what is keeping this method from becoming
>the cleanest power generating method available?

(1) Solar cells are expensive to make and don't last forever.  (Also, the
	production processes are not particularly "clean" and the more
	advanced cells are often hazardous wastes when they are retired.)

(2) Extensive energy storage or extensive long-range power transmission --
	difficult and expensive either way -- is needed to cope with
	outages due to night and cloud.

(3) Solar energy is thinly spread and very large collecting areas are needed.

(4) Large-scale solar power seriously changes the heat balance of the
	surrounding area, so it is not completely clean.  In particular,
	desert areas normally reflect most sunlight back out into space,
	but when paved with solar cells, most of the energy is released
	as heat into the biosphere instead.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.210436.10601@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
->(1) Solar cells are expensive to make and don't last forever.  (Also, the
->	production processes are not particularly "clean" and the more
->	advanced cells are often hazardous wastes when they are retired.)
   Yet, the prices are falling as we speak.  There is no reason why the pure
      silicon-based PVs can not last "forever" -- there is nothing to break
      down within the cell itself.  It's true that creating PVs are not
      100% "clean", but then neither is any power generation source, from
      "hydro to nuclear."  It takes alot of "dirty" manufacturing to make
      computers -- will you stop using them?
->
->(2) Extensive energy storage or extensive long-range power transmission --
->	difficult and expensive either way -- is needed to cope with
->	outages due to night and cloud.
     New battery storage technologies are being made, along with other methods
       holding energy over time -- underground storage, etc.  There are even
       experimental "reverse" PVs that store energy during daylight and release
       it at night.
->
->(3) Solar energy is thinly spread and very large collecting areas are needed.
->
      PVs work in Alaska... Very large collecting surfaces are only needed for
       the production of very high amounts of energy.  A typical home could be