[sci.electronics] Digital frequency display for analog tuner possible?

duncan@zygot.ati.com (James R. Duncan) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan19.012221.2484@Solbourne.COM> kucharsk@Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
>He's recently inherited a Heathkit shortwave radio which works well for him but
>it's got the old "slide-rule" type tuning.  He wants to know if there's any
>way you can build any type of quasi-accurate digital frequency display for
>the tuner, based on the frequency being received.

I have an old Hallicrafters S-76 which I converted to 100% solid state
(including synchronous detection!).  What I did on this fun little toy
was add a simple FET buffer stage to the first LO and then plug in a
counter.  Being more of an RF person than a digital person, I ran out
of gas before creating some sort of method to subtract the 1,650 khz IF
frequency from the counter reading.  Nevertheless, this counter, which
I unplug and use for other things when necessary, works fine as a dial
frequency indicator (except for the constant +1650 kHz readout!).

--
            w  ["]                           | WA6MBV
            |___|_____..duncan@zygot.ati.com | Jim Duncan

dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan19.012221.2484@Solbourne.COM> kucharsk@Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
>He's recently inherited a Heathkit shortwave radio which works well for him but
>it's got the old "slide-rule" type tuning.  He wants to know if there's any
>way you can build any type of quasi-accurate digital frequency display for
>the tuner, based on the frequency being received.

A quick scan of some old magazines shows three references to building a
digital dial. All are old. The last used the fewest ICs and had an easy way
to program the offset between the LO and IF frequencies. It said that it
should be used only on single conversion radios but I imagine that you could
program it for the combined offset if you knew both IF and LO frequencies.

	Build Your Own Digital Dial
	73 magazine
	July, 1978 p 66

	Digital Frequency Readout for Shortwave Receivers
	Popular Electronics
	February, 1977 p 49

	Digital Frequency Display
	Radio-Electronics Special Projects
	Vol. 1 No. 1 Winter, 1980 p 65

		While this last is 10 years old you might try writing to
		the address given in the article:

		Technico Services
		P.O. Box 20HC
		Orangehurst Station
		Fullerton, CA 92634

		They would provide a set of PC boards and assembly plans
		if you order the Model 83SW display set for $14.00.

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne