[sci.electronics] Light-Dimmer Noise, was Re: Ferrite Beads

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Nico Garcia) (01/23/91)

In article <4931@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:
> Sorry about last message.  Does anyone know if ferrite beads can
> reduce the RF noise from light-dimming devices?

We avoided the whole issue and replaced the SCR light-dimmers with the
bulky, hairy old linear light dimmers. They work great and don't make
the occasional buzzing noise of the SCR's, which was a problem for our
audio experiments.

--
			Nico Garcia
			Designs by Geniuses for use by Idiots

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (01/23/91)

In article <1007@eplunix.UUCP> raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Nico Garcia) writes:
>In article <4931@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>> Sorry about last message.  Does anyone know if ferrite beads can
>> reduce the RF noise from light-dimming devices?
>
>We avoided the whole issue and replaced the SCR light-dimmers with the
>bulky, hairy old linear light dimmers. They work great and don't make
>the occasional buzzing noise of the SCR's, which was a problem for our
>audio experiments.

How do the "linear" ones work?  A rheostat would be too hot, and a
variac too expensive (not really) -- and both are too large to fit in a
standard domestic switch-box.