[sci.electronics] Hobby

gmuthu@cbnewse.att.com (gan.muthumalaiappan) (01/05/91)

Hi,

Could anyone out there suggest good books, magazines, projects, etc. in
electronics. I want to develop a interest in "hobby electronics"
and of course, have some fun. To begin with, please recommend a
refresher book on electronics.

Thanks,

Gan Muthu
att!ihlpy!gmuthu
708-979-3488

gmuthu@cbnewse.att.com (gan.muthumalaiappan) (01/16/91)

Hi,

Sorry for posting it again. Hope someone will answer.

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (01/17/91)

/ hpsad:sci.electronics / gmuthu@cbnewse.att.com (gan.muthumalaiappan) / 10:41 am  Jan 15, 1991 /
Hi,

Sorry for posting it again. Hope someone will answer.

Could anyone out there suggest good books, magazines, projects, etc. in
electronics. I want to develop a interest in "hobby electronics"
and of course, have some fun. To begin with, please recommend a
refresher book on electronics.

Thanks,

Gan Muthu
att!ihlpy!gmuthu
708-979-3488
----------

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (01/17/91)

Sorry about the reposting..

Quick answer:
easy, fun construction projects: look for books by Forrest Mims and
also books published by Howard Sams or TAB.  Some Mims books are at
Radio Shack, also look in electronics stores.

Magazines:
Popular Electronics
Radio-Electronics (a little more advanced)
hands-on Electronics (very basic - or was this incorporated into one of the
                       others?)

For Digital, you may want to check out the TTL handbook and the CMOS
handbook, both by Don Lancaster.

For solid electronics info, try 'The Art of Electronics' by ..Hill?
                                                              Horowitz?

There used to be a mag called "elementary electronics," that was very
basic, but I fear it is no more.

My advice:  Subscribe to 'Popular Electronics,' and buy some of the books
listed in mailorder in back.  Get a good electronics reference, like
'The Art of Electronics.'

An introductory course is also probably available at a local college...

Good luck!

lpdjb@brahms.amd.com (Jerry Bemis) (01/22/91)

In article <787@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>In article <1840029@hpsad.HP.COM>, smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) writes:

Radio Shack has a few experimenter kits in there catalog.
You can build hundreds of electronics projects with them.
It will come with a book of projects that should include
everything you need to know.  RS will need to order it for
you. At least I didn't find one on there shelf at Christmas.
I think this would be better then mag. projects!

It looks like the old Heathkit experimenter board I used
as a kid.  My Heatkit kit told how the circuts work and what to look for
if it doesn't work.  It had about 40 components mounted on it, and came
with color coded wires of 3" - 10" lengths.
I almost dug mine out of my parents basement last time I was there.
Heathkit doesn't make them any more.
This kind of kit gave me a good start.  I had my Ham novice ticket
when I was 12.

~ Jerry Bemis  Sunnyvale, CA (408) 749-3327  (800) 538-8450 x43327  ~
~ >INTERNET LPDJB@brahms.amd.com                                    ~

dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (01/22/91)

In article <787@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>Hands-On Electronics was renamed to Popular Electronics a couple of
>years ago when Gernsback (Radio-Electronics) got the name.
>
>The original Popular Electronics was killed off by Ziff-Davis around
>1984.  It mutated into a computer mag (Computers and Electronics)
>which died.
>Elementary Electronics, Radio-TV Experimenter, Electronics Illustrated,
>and Electronics World are all dead and gone for 15 or 20 years.

Electronics World was absorbed by Popular Electonics sometime in the late
'60s or early '70s.

My memory is getting vague but I think that Radio-TV Experimenter was
once Radio-TV News and maybe also Radio Craft but now it is called
Radio-Electronics.

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne

spcecdt@deeptht.santa-cruz.ca.us (John DuBois) (01/23/91)

In article <787@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:

+Elementary Electronics, Radio-TV Experimenter, Electronics Illustrated,
+and Electronics World are all dead and gone for 15 or 20 years.

     I think Elementary Electronics was still around ca. 1983...

--
John DuBois	spcecdt@deeptht.santa-cruz.ca.us	KC6QKZ