[sci.electronics] pcb construction

scafidi@aramis.rutgers.edu (John Scafidi) (01/23/91)

Recently I got some information in the mail from HTE Corporation in
San Diego. They sell a pcb prototyping system that enables you to make
single, double and multilayer printed circuit boards. It consists
mainly of a plotter that draws the traces on the pcb with an etch
resistant ink. The plotter also has a drilling attachment to drill the
holes and vias. The system also includes a tank for the sodium
persulphate etchant.

The boards it produces are not plated thru holes. So soldering must be
done on each side of the board. How reliable and how inconvenient is
this?

Multilayer boards are made by first making a double sided board and
then making layers on flexible laminates and then soldering the layers
to one side of the double sided board.

I would appreciate if any fellow sci.electronics netters who are
experienced in making pcbs would comment on this system. Of course,
I would like to hear from anyone who has the HTE system. But this is
a new product and I'm not sure that anyone who owns a system will have
access to the net.

Any comments posted to this newsgroup or emailed to me will be greatly
appreciated.

John Scafidi
Integrated Systems Lab
Rutgers University
(908) 932- 5172

lpdjb@brahms.amd.com (Jerry Bemis) (01/23/91)

I would like info on this system too!

I saw a milling mach. fot 2 sided boards for $15k. (too much for me)
 I found my TEC200 doesn't work with some copiers.   Either the plastic
gets stuck or the toner doesn't melt off.

In article <Jan.22.14.13.10.1991.28324@aramis.rutgers.edu> scafidi@aramis.rutgers.edu (John Scafidi) writes:
>Recently I got some information in the mail from HTE Corporation in
>San Diego. They sell a pcb prototyping system that enables you to make
>single, double and multilayer printed circuit boards. It consists
>mainly of a plotter that draws the traces on the pcb with an etch
>resistant ink. The plotter also has a drilling attachment to drill the
>holes and vias. The system also includes a tank for the sodium
>persulphate etchant.
>
>I would appreciate if any fellow sci.electronics netters who are
>experienced in making pcbs would comment on this system. Of course,
>I would like to hear from anyone who has the HTE system. But this is
>a new product and I'm not sure that anyone who owns a system will have
>access to the net.
>
>Any comments posted to this newsgroup or emailed to me will be greatly
>appreciated.

~ Jerry Bemis  Sunnyvale, CA (408) 749-3327  (800) 538-8450 x43327  ~
~ >INTERNET LPDJB@brahms.amd.com                                    ~

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Last First) (01/23/91)

In article <Jan.22.14.13.10.1991.28324@aramis.rutgers.edu> scafidi@aramis.rutgers.edu (John Scafidi) writes:

>Recently I got some information in the mail from HTE Corporation in
>San Diego. They sell a pcb prototyping system that enables you to make
>single, double and multilayer printed circuit boards. It consists
>mainly of a plotter that draws the traces on the pcb with an etch
>resistant ink. The plotter also has a drilling attachment to drill the
>holes and vias. The system also includes a tank for the sodium
>persulphate etchant.
>
>The boards it produces are not plated thru holes. So soldering must be
>done on each side of the board. How reliable and how inconvenient is
>this?
>
>Multilayer boards are made by first making a double sided board and
>then making layers on flexible laminates and then soldering the layers
>to one side of the double sided board.
>
>John Scafidi
>Integrated Systems Lab
>Rutgers University
>(908) 932- 5172

Well, I used to work for HTE, so you might consider my opinion
biased, but then again, I have experience with the system.

The guys at HTE have made tons of boards with the system, and I have
made a few myself.  The lack of plated thru holes is not that much
of a hassle - many people who can't afford plated holes for their
project or prototype do without.  First, you need a sharp soldering
iron tip, so you can get around the components on the top side.
And, when I'm designing a double sided board with no plated holes, I
make an additional hole just out from the IC pin that must be
soldered on both sides.   Then, instead of melting your IC socket,
you just make the connection to the other side by soldering a wire
in the hole on both sides.  Make sense?

The multi layer boards are a different story.  I've seen a bunch
already made, and they use the flex circuit material for other
things, but I can't personally comment on it.  Again, they do it
in-house a lot, so I'd say you have a good chance of being able to
duplicate the feat.

Since they use the thing themselves for in house projects, I would think its a
reasonable product!

Greg Bell

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu