[sci.electronics] Impedance of a diode ?

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (01/22/91)

Hi,

A rather curious query : what is the audio frequency impedance of
a reverse biased diode ?

Off-hand, one would say, it's high, but just how high ?

Specifically, for a small signal diode like 1N4148, between 0 - 70 C,
with about 2.5 V or more of reverse bias, is the small signal audio
impedance at least > 1 Meg ? 10 Meg ? I don't need an exact number,
just a minimum, to see if it interferes with other circuitry.

Where does one look for such info ? Diodes and transistors are just
there, one dosen't usually look at data books for them, so I
realize I have many many chip data books, but none for discretes.

Thanks,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (01/22/91)

In article <JON_SREE.91Jan21215810@world.std.com> jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>A rather curious query : what is the audio frequency impedance of
>a reverse biased diode ? Off-hand, one would say, it's high, but
>just how high ?
>
>Specifically, for a small signal diode like 1N4148, between 0 - 70 C,
>with about 2.5 V or more of reverse bias, is the small signal audio
>impedance at least > 1 Meg ? 10 Meg ?

TI's datasheet (1966, revised 1973) for the 1N4148 sez that the
max capacitance is 4 pF and the max leakage current at 100C is 3
microamperes (with 20V of reverse bias).  Leakage current at room
temp is 0.025 microamps.

So a crude model would be a 6.7Megohm resistor in parallel with a
4pF capacitor.  At 20kHz, 4pF has a capacitive reactance of 2 Megohms.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (01/23/91)

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>A rather curious query : what is the audio frequency impedance of
>a reverse biased diode ?

>Off-hand, one would say, it's high, but just how high ?

>Specifically, for a small signal diode like 1N4148, between 0 - 70 C,
>with about 2.5 V or more of reverse bias, is the small signal audio
>impedance at least > 1 Meg ? 10 Meg ? I don't need an exact number,
>just a minimum, to see if it interferes with other circuitry.

You can calculate it from the diode equation by measuring the
saturation current for the diode in question--that will get you the
resistive component.  I think you will find that the most significant
component at audio frequencies, however, is the capacitance, which
will be in the low-megohms region above a kilohertz.

Diode equation:

    I=Isat * (e^(qV/kT)-1)

Differentiate with respect to V to find dI/dV; invert for small
signal resistive component.  Isat you can measure as essentially the
current at about half the reverse breakdown voltage, but as you can
see from the equation, the exact voltage you measure it at isn't
critical.  (V is negative at that point, and will be many times
larger than kT/q)  This should be fine for most signal and power
diodes, but watch your step for things like tunnel or PIN diodes...

In practice, resistive leakage paths will far outweigh the contribution
of the diode equation, also, at the voltages you mention.  V of -2.6
volts is about 100 times larger than kT/q at room temp, so you get
an e^-100 which is pretty small...  It may well come down to how clean
your construction is, as far as resistive components go.

verive@tellabs.com (Jeff Verive) (01/23/91)

In article <JON_SREE.91Jan21215810@world.std.com> jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>A rather curious query : what is the audio frequency impedance of
>
>Specifically, for a small signal diode like 1N4148, between 0 - 70 C,
>with about 2.5 V or more of reverse bias, is the small signal audio
>impedance at least > 1 Meg ? 10 Meg ? I don't need an exact number,
>just a minimum, to see if it interferes with other circuitry.

I checked my National Semiconductor data book, so here goes.

The reverse capacitance for the 1N4148 is about 1.5 pF at 2.5V (don't
know the measurement frequency - probably 1 MHz.)  Assuming an upper
frequency limit of 20kHz for audio, the impedance will be approximately
equal to the capacitive reactance in parallel with the leakage impedance.
From Xc = 1/(2*pi*f*C), Xc is about 5.3 Meg.  Leakage current is harder
to determine (graph only goes down to 5 Volts, so I'll use that value.)
At 25 degrees C, leakage current is about 8 nA (the graph actually shows
8 mA, but the 'm' in 'mA' is a typo!).  The value decreases at lower
temperatures and increases at higher temperatures.  If we allow the
current to double every 10 degrees, then from 25 to 75 degrees, the
current will be increased by a factor of 32 (this is a common approx.
to the temperature coefficient of *reverse* biased silicon semi's), to
a value of approx 250 nA (32*8=256).  The impedance due to reverse leakage
is then, from Ohm's Law, E/I = 2.5V/250 nA = 10 Meg.
Applying basic complex math, the dynamic impedance is about 3.7 Meg.
Based on the assumptions above, this should be somewhat of a lower limit,
so this can be treated as a minimum.
It is interesting to note that the diode's capacitance is so low that
the circuitry around it (wiring, etc.) is far more likely to affect
the reactance of the circuit's nodes.

**   Jeff  Verive  |  If they ever stop making those little candy flowers **
**   259371048378  |  for birthday cakes, I shall lose my will to live.   **

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (01/23/91)

A reverse-biased diode will have an appreciable impedance at audio frequencies,
because the main mechanism is junction capacitance, which decreases as more
reverse-bias is applied.

You can measure it by connecting a DC source, audio generator, diode, and
a variable resistor, all in series. Set the audio generator to, say, 0.1v p-p,
and adjust the resistor until the voltage across the resistor is 0.05v p-p.
Measure the resistance; it equals the diode's impedance *at the measured
frequency*. Try varying the frequency. I've never measured the impedance
of diodes before, but I would expect it to be near a megohm at 1Khz.

Now forward-bias the diode and repeat the experiment. Neat eh ? Diodes
make nifty (but sometimes noisy) analog switches.

----> NOTE ! Use a scope with a 10X probe to reduce loading effects. You
should parallel the variable resistor with the scope (1M or 10M) when
you measure it. Otherwise, you'll have to do some calculations (not hard).

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (01/24/91)

In article <5170101@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:

Thanks to Tom and to others who replied in this newsgroup. I also
received several replies by email. The summary is
that, from data books, and from theoretical calculation, the
impedance is better than a few megohms.

The leakage current is, according to one email response I got,
25nA max at 20 volts, 5000 at 75 volts (from a National Semi databook)
Assuming a linear slope, the dynamic impedance is 55V/5uA = 11 Mohm.
The actual dynamic impedance will be better because the exponential
curve will lie below the straight line approximation.

The capacitance of the reverse biased junction, according to one posted
response, is 1.5 pF at 2.5V. In that case, Xc is 5.3Mohm, for 20KHz.
Actually I only care about telephone line bandwidth (4KHz, max),
so the impedance is greater.

In my application there are 2 of these reverse biased diodes, in
parallel, sharing voltage with a 220K resistor. So it seems that the
parallel combination of two 1N4148's is negligible compared to 220K.

Thanks again,