[sci.electronics] Tesla Coils

brandenberg@star.dec.com (bleakness...desolation...plastic forks...) (12/09/86)

> Matt Giger (tektronix!reed!shadow) asks about tesla coils...

A tesla coil is simply a series resonant circuit with an
autotransformer's primary winding used as the inductive
component.  Near resonance, the circuit's "Q" produces a
substantial voltage across the transformer.  As for
references, the University of Missouri at Kansas City
once had a copy of Tesla's laboratory notes prior to his
work in Colorado (available on loan).  I also have plans
for a tesla coil.  These were purchased from an outfit
called Huntington Electronics, Inc.  ( Box 9 Huntington Station,
Shelton, Conn 06486 [copyright 1965] ) sometime in the late
'70's.  The plans are for a six foot tesla coil capable of
three foot discharges.  The difficulty in constructing such
a coil is the prevention of dielectric breakdown and the
generation of a high-voltage, high-current variable frequency
power source.  If you're interested in building a less
ambitious coil, my description, basic network synthesis, and
engineering "common sense" will suffice.  If you're simply
interested in the history, you will have some work ahead of
you:  Tesla's notes from his Colorado Lab were (as I recall)
seized by the Government at the time of his death and those
that weren't given to the Czechoslovakian Government are
still sealed away.

				Monty Brandenberg

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (12/09/86)

[this line eater message defeats the 50% rule]
In article <6824@decwrl.DEC.COM>, brandenberg@star.dec.com

> > Matt Giger (tektronix!reed!shadow) asks about tesla coils...
> As for
> references, the University of Missouri at Kansas City
> once had a copy of Tesla's laboratory notes prior to his
> work in Colorado (available on loan).
> ...  Tesla's notes from his Colorado Lab were (as I recall)
> seized by the Government at the time of his death and those
> that weren't given to the Czechoslovakian Government are
> still sealed away.
>
> 				Monty Brandenberg

When I visited the Museum of Natural History in Denver they had
several books on Tesla.  I bought "My Inventions", the autobiography
of Nikola Tesla (published by Hart Brothers in 1982), and it is quite
readable, but doesn't give much technical explanation.  They also had a
large book (as I remember it was 8 1/2 x 11" and about 1" thick) which
was mostly photocopied laboratory notebooks from experiments in his
Colorado Springs Lab.  You might get some help from the museum bookstore.

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (12/10/86)

In article <6824@decwrl.DEC.COM>
			brandenberg@star.dec.com (Monty Brandenberg) writes:
...edited...
>                                          If you're simply
>interested in the history, you will have some work ahead of
>you:  Tesla's notes from his Colorado Lab were (as I recall)
>seized by the Government at the time of his death and those
>that weren't given to the Czechoslovakian Government are
>still sealed away.
>
>				Monty Brandenberg

Would anyone know WHY the government would do this?  I don't remember
anything about Tesla coils or his form of 'broadcast' power that is
especially dangerous, or useful in war.  As for the potential of using
it for broadcast power, I remember that either it didn't work too well,
or there was no way to keep unauthorized persons from tapping into the
supply without paying.  (Not sure which it was, might be both!)

--

					Edwin Wiles
					Net Express, Inc.

mwm@cuuxb.UUCP (12/10/86)

In article <221@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>In article <6824@decwrl.DEC.COM>
>			brandenberg@star.dec.com (Monty Brandenberg) writes:
>...edited...
>>                                          If you're simply
>>interested in the history, you will have some work ahead of
>>you:  Tesla's notes from his Colorado Lab were (as I recall)
>>seized by the Government at the time of his death and those
>>that weren't given to the Czechoslovakian Government are
>>still sealed away.
>>
>>				Monty Brandenberg
>
>Would anyone know WHY the government would do this?  I don't remember
>anything about Tesla coils or his form of 'broadcast' power that is
>especially dangerous, or useful in war.  As for the potential of using
>it for broadcast power, I remember that either it didn't work too well,
>or there was no way to keep unauthorized persons from tapping into the
>supply without paying.  (Not sure which it was, might be both!)
>--
>					Edwin Wiles

I seem to recall hearing the story of the time Tesla built a gadget for
a party that was designed to find the resonant frequency of the main crossbeam
supporting his house -- the Idea was to have the whole house vibrating
by the time the party was in full swing.  It apparently worked a little too
well, and found the resonant frequency of the rock vein his house was sitting
on, and knocked down the fire house accross the street.  Supposedly he
destroyed that particular part of his notes; but these and other gadgets
he designed could potentially have been used for weapons.

Of course, I don't know how accurate the story is, I heard it about 3rd hand.
--
 Marc Mengel			"All that is gold does not glitter
 ...!ihnp4!cuuxb!mwm		 Not all those who wander are lost

brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) (12/11/86)

Back about 1963, Popular Electronics magazine had some really nice Tesla
coils in a pair of companion articles called "Big TC" and "Little TC".

We built them in high school electric shop, using a lathe to wind the
coil on Big TC.  They worked really GREAT!  Maybe your library has back
issues (microfilm, perhaps)?

Especially good was connecting the top of the Big TC coil to the
doorknob of the classroom door - so that anybody attempting to come in
drew a big arc to his fingers.  Worked especially well with the
principal.

Yes, I'm still alive.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

	decvax\ 	brian@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
	ihnp4  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

   "There is more harmony in films than in life."
	- Francois Truffaut

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (12/12/86)

In article <221@netxcom.UUCP>, ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
> In article <6824@decwrl.DEC.COM>
> 			brandenberg@star.dec.com (Monty Brandenberg) writes:
> ...edited...
> >                                          If you're simply
> >interested in the history, you will have some work ahead of
> >you:  Tesla's notes from his Colorado Lab were (as I recall)
> >seized by the Government at the time of his death and those
> >that weren't given to the Czechoslovakian Government are
> >still sealed away.
> >				Monty Brandenberg
> Would anyone know WHY the government would do this?  I don't remember
> anything about Tesla coils or his form of 'broadcast' power that is
> especially dangerous, or useful in war.  As for the potential of using
> it for broadcast power, I remember that either it didn't work too well,
> or there was no way to keep unauthorized persons from tapping into the
> supply without paying.  (Not sure which it was, might be both!)

Read the New York times around the 1950's.  I forgot the date, but
sometime around then he proposed construction of a "death ray" that
could knock airplanes from sky, and destroy huge armies easily.
It kinda sounds like todays SDI program.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

Kirk (about Spock): "He took too much LDS in the 60s"

In article <221@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>>  Tesla's notes from his Colorado Lab were (as I recall)
>>seized by the Government at the time of his death and those
>>that weren't given to the Czechoslovakian Government are
>>still sealed away.
>>
>Would anyone know WHY the government would do this?  I don't remember
>anything about Tesla coils or his form of 'broadcast' power that is
>especially dangerous, or useful in war.  As for the potential of using
>it for broadcast power, I remember that either it didn't work too well,
>or there was no way to keep unauthorized persons from tapping into the
>supply without paying.  (Not sure which it was, might be both!)

'Broadcast' power was only ONE of many, many, inventions that Tesla was
working on.  There were rumors of some kind of 'death ray' type technology
that were never substantiated, as well as various other ideas that I suppose
could be applied in wartime.

In addition, 'broadcast' power could possibly have an effect of a Radio
blackout, a powerful enough Tesla power transmitter might be designed that
would have the effect of generating enough noise worldwide that would make
radio communications difficult.

It is interesting to note, that Tesla, recently credited with the invention
of radio (rather than the previously believed Marconi) lived at a time and
with appropriate knowledge to make minute measurements on the 'background'
radio emmisions of the Earth.  You may have heard the radio transmissions
from Saturn picked up by Voyager.  The Earth emits radio noise too, but
unfortunately, we could never now get all the radio and TV stations, and
CB radios to SHUT UP long enough to make much in the way of measurements
of the Earths background emissions.

From such measurments, and from observations of lightning activity at
Colorado Springs (something like the most electrically active place on the
face of the Earth), he deduced the resonant frequency of the Earth itself
(I don't remember what it is exactly, but somewhere between 0 and 1 hertz).

Using this knowledge, he designed his 'power without wires' system, that
may have worked effectively by inducing the Earth's magnetosphere into
resonance.  With such a system, one could sink an antenna into the ground
anywhere on the surface of the Earth, and tap into this source of power.
Or at least so Tesla thought.

Whether or not this scheme would actually work, we may never know.  It's
kind of too late now, as it is probably incompatible with our present use
of radio frequency transmissions, as such a power transmission system
would most likely wreak havoc on radio and T.V. all over the world.
It is certain that Tesla was convinced of its viability, though his
financial patron J. P. Morgan pulled the plug, because there was no
economic advantage to 'free' power (and how do you 'meter' peoples
use of power, when all they have to do is sink a simple antenna?).

Not only that, it is not clear in my mind that enough 'antennas' tapping
into this 'seemingly limitless' source of 'free' energy, wouldn't actually
tax the 'exiteing circuit' i.e. the Tesla coil driving the resonant tank
circuit (the Earth).

But, it is fun to think about.  I wonder if there will ever be a human being
on this earth who has the kind of understanding of 'resonance' that Tesla
must have had.  He demonstrated the ability to virtually raze buildings to
the ground with a small tapping device that would cause the resonance to
build up in a building to the point of collapse.  How he knew where to 'tap'
on a building, and at what frequency is beyond me, but it is sure interesting
to think about such things.

For more information on Nikola Tesla, read 'Man out of Time' by Margaret Cheney
one of the better Tesla biographies, (and perhaps the only one still in print).
It recounts the 'war' between Tesla and Edison over AC vs DC power, (Edison
publically electrocuted various animals with AC to show how *dangerous* it
was, including dogs, a horse and an ELEPHANT! {I've seen the elephant on
film}) and various anecdotes involving his friendship with Samuel Clemens.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (12/14/86)

In article <2293@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) writes:
>Especially good was connecting the top of the Big TC coil to the
>doorknob of the classroom door - so that anybody attempting to come in
>drew a big arc to his fingers.  Worked especially well with the
>principal.
>
>Yes, I'm still alive.

But is the principal?  :-)

		-Ed

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (12/15/86)

In article <1254@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>Using this knowledge, he designed his 'power without wires' system, that
>Whether or not this scheme would actually work, we may never know.  It's
>kind of too late now, as it is probably incompatible with our present use
>of radio frequency transmissions, as such a power transmission system

It also might be incompatible with the grounded metal-frame buildings
and grounded utility poles (telephone, as well as the power grid).
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon   Minn Ed Comp Corp  {quest,dayton,meccts}!mecc!sewilco
(612)481-3507           sewilco@MECC.COM       ihnp4!meccts!mecc!sewilco

    "How do you feel?"

In article <749@randvax.UUCP>, edhall@randvax.UUCP writes:
>In article <2293@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) writes:
>>Especially good was connecting the top of the Big TC coil to the
>>doorknob of the classroom door - so that anybody attempting to come in
>>drew a big arc to his fingers.  Worked especially well with the
>>principal.
>>Yes, I'm still alive.
>But is the principal?  :-)
>		-Ed

I highly doubt that a high-frequency, low-current electrical current
(100KHZ+) such as produced by a Tesla Coil would be likely to produce
a fatal shock, because of "skin effect" (high-frequency currents would
not pass near the heart).  But it would sure be startling :-).
|            dan levy            |  my own and are not at all those of my em-
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
                                        allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (08/18/87)

Someone requested sources of Tesla Coil literature.

                      Lindsay Publications
                      PO Box 12
                      Bradley, IL 60915-0012
                      tel. (815) 463-3668

has  a Technical Books Catalog which features a "lost technology"
series  of  reprinted  rare  books  on  Tesla  Coils,  electrical
machinery,   storage  batteries,   metal  work,   heat   engines,
alternative energy, physics experiments, and includes such arcane
topics as perpetual motion, embalming, how to make moonshine, and
even  a calculus comic book.   I've been well-pleased with  their
fast service.

--
Frank Reid
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) (08/20/87)

There used to be a Tesla Coil Builders Accociation active. I have some of
their newsletters (from '82 and '83), which contain a number of construction
info. I don't know if they are still active - try contacting

               Harry Goldmann
               RD3 BOX 181
               Glens Falls
               N.Y. 12801

(Note - this address is a few years old and may be incorrect)

Also - another old address

               Tesla Book Co.
	       c/o 1580 Magnolia Ave.
               Milbrae, CA 94030

--
Fridrik Skulason  Univ. of Iceland, Computing Center
       UUCP  ...mcvax!hafro!askja!frisk                BIX  frisk

                     "This line intentionally left blank"

dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) (08/22/87)

In article <275@askja.UUCP> frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>               Tesla Book Co.
>	       c/o 1580 Magnolia Ave.
>               Milbrae, CA 94030

The above address is incorrect.
The Tesla Book Co. has moved to:

		Tesla Book Co.
		B.O. Box 1685
		Ventura, CA 93001
		(805) 643-0432

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

ras2@engr.uark.edu (Richard A. Smith) (01/24/91)

	I am in the process of building a Tesla coil and I would like to hear
from all of you experimenters that have already done so.  Advice, problems,
experiences, resources, plans, etc.  I am using a neon sign transformer of
15KV to start with and going form there.  Right now I am building the Cap.
that I will need to fire the spark Gap.

My schematic looks like this:

   ---------------)  (-----------|
  *  +        |   Spark Ga      |        *
  *       |                     |        *
  *           |         Primar  *        * Secondary
  * 15kv    =====               *        *
  *         =====               *        *
  *           |                 *        *
  *  -        |                 *        *
  *           |                 *        *
  ------------------------------

My Cap is sheet of plexiglass with Al foil on the outsides and cardboard to
cover the foil.  My peliminary ideal calculations show that I should get
about .048 uF from it.

My plans are to measure the cap at the Lab and also the inductance of the
primary (6 turns of #12 wire 6" in diameter) and the sign transformer.
calculate the resonant freq. and wind the secondary to match.

Does anybody know the capacitance of #24 magnet wire wraped around a piece
of sched 40 3 1/2" PVC per unit foot?  I have eqns for the Inductance but
not capacity.

Does anybody see anything wrong with this design?  Have a better Design?
PLEASE tell me about it.

Also the names of any books about the experiments of Nikola Tesla would
be appeacated too.

Thanks in advance
Richard
-
--
Richard A. Smith                      | Dont look at me, I'm still an
ras2@engr.uark.edu                    |    undergrad!!