[sci.electronics] Need HDTV Specs

hcooper@esunix.UUCP (Hardware Support) (01/22/91)

Just what it says, I need a pointer (or email) on the timing specs for
HDTV (yes, I know US won't have a standard till 1993), primarily the
Japanese format currently being used.  I need detailed info on line
count, field timing, sync signals and waveforms.  Also, if anyone has
some data on HDTV recording equipment, this would be extremly usefull as
well.

Thanks for the time

Harrison Cooper  N7KST
Evans & Sutherland
Flight Simulation Division

600 Komas Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84158
(801) 582-5847

robe@cbnewsl.att.com (robert.g.egan) (01/24/91)

In article <2301@esunix.UUCP>, hcooper@esunix.UUCP (Hardware Support) writes:
> Just what it says, I need a pointer (or email) on the timing specs for
> HDTV (yes, I know US won't have a standard till 1993), primarily the
> Japanese format currently being used.  I need detailed info on line
> count, field timing, sync signals and waveforms.  Also, if anyone has
> some data on HDTV recording equipment, this would be extremly usefull as

I would look up in the library, the IEEE periodicals on Communications and
Broadcasting, the SMPTE Journal and its 240M Standard for 1125/60 system.
There is a new book available called HDTV Advanced Television for the 1990s
by K.B. Benson and D.G. Fink from McGraw-Hill ISBN 0-07-020983-9 for about $40.
Its technical, written for engineers and scientists.

hughes@star.dec.com (Gary Hughes - VMS Development) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.125006.24528@cbnewsl.att.com>, robe@cbnewsl.att.com (robert.g.egan) writes...
>I would look up in the library, the IEEE periodicals on Communications and
>Broadcasting, the SMPTE Journal and its 240M Standard for 1125/60 system.
>There is a new book available called HDTV Advanced Television for the 1990s
>by K.B. Benson and D.G. Fink from McGraw-Hill ISBN 0-07-020983-9 for about $40.
>Its technical, written for engineers and scientists.

In addition to IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, the Transactions on Consumer
Electronics has a lot of material on HDTV. Both series of transactions have had
special issues devoted to HDTV in recent years. The most recent issue of Trans
on Broadcasting has papers on Digicipher and HD-MAC for example. IEEE will sell
these to members and nonmembers.

I don't recall seeing anything recently in their communications oriented
publications lately. There was a recent issue of Proceedings of the IEEE on
satellite communications, and some of the papers address issues related to
satellite delivered HDTV.

I've flipped through that book and it looks good. It appears to have used a lot
of material from the above IEEE publications (or maybe all HDTV diagrams look
alike :-) ). It might be simpler to buy it than getting the other publications.

gary
hughes @star.dec.com