[sci.electronics] Digital Score Board

cdimick@javelin.es.com (Clint Dimick) (01/19/91)

I am in need of a digital scoring system for use in an old pinball machine.
A friend is redesigning the entire machine and would like to replace the
old mechanical scoring system with a modern, LED display of about 6-7
digits.  What type of circuitry are we looking at here, both to drive the
display, compute the math, and correctly award point values for different
things (bumpers, targets, etc.) which are hit in the playfield?  IMHO, I
think this is quite a big project to tackle, but I thought it'd be worth
the effort to see what kind of suggestions I'd receive.  Thanks in advance,

		- Clint
--
 The Land of No Return        __ bow  ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
     (801) 485-6879       \__/oo) wow | ._| . . ._| . | . . | . ._| . | . |

agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan19.023554.13903@javelin.es.com> cdimick@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>I am in need of a digital scoring system for use in an old pinball machine.
>A friend is redesigning the entire machine and would like to replace the
>old mechanical scoring system with a modern, LED display of about 6-7

Don't do it ! It's like replacing the hands of an antique clock with 'a modern, LED
display'! The charm of a pinball machine is in the vibration you feel from all those
solenoids clunking away - and the electromechanical counters are just as important
as the buffers. It was a sad day when the manufacturers started updating them. If
you have a REAL pinball machine, restore and cherish it - don't ruin it!

-adrian

Adrian Godwin                                        (agodwin@acorn.co.uk)

cdimick@javelin.es.com (Clint Dimick) (01/23/91)

agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) writes:

>Don't do it ! It's like replacing the hands of an antique clock with 'a modern, LED
>display'! The charm of a pinball machine is in the vibration you feel from all those
>solenoids clunking away - and the electromechanical counters are just as important
>as the buffers. It was a sad day when the manufacturers started updating them. If
>you have a REAL pinball machine, restore and cherish it - don't ruin it!

>-adrian

I would normally agree with you, but in this case, the old machine is in really
sad shape.  It was purchased by some copier repairman before my friend got
it, and had done some extensive damage to it.  Included in this list are the
drilling of new holes throughout the playfield, removal of 2 sets of flippers,
attempted addition of more slingshot bumpers, and total scratch-up of the
original playfield art.  Basically, the thing will be used for a case, legs,
and plunger.  He plans on replacing the entire playfield with a new board
and starting the design from scratch.  Lastest development: use an old Apple
][e for the driver.  Any suggestions, comments on this?  To me, it would seem
that the Apple could handle the switch detection, but does there exist any
type of I/O card capable of handling some 30 switches?  Could the scoring
display be controlled by the Apple as well?

		- Clint
--
 The Land of No Return        __ bow  ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
     (801) 485-6879       \__/oo) wow | ._| . . ._| . | . . | . ._| . | . |
Help Poopie find the bone!(  -\/ woof ._._._|_._._._|_._|_|_._._._._|_._|_. )=(
cdimick@javelin.sim.es.com//  \\  (Damn I'm hungry!)

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (01/25/91)

	Hmmm an apple ay. Well if you know how to program an apple ie apple //
then you have the ability to produce some wild pinball machine, that would
be original. The apple will perform all the task you require with ease.
If I were doing it, I would buy an apple clone Or original, remove the case
mount the motherboard and power supply in the pinball machine. Design a digital
input output card, consisting of a series of multiplexers, ie 6x74ls154.
The price of apples makes this project a reality, and with the flexibility
of programming, makes it truley custom.

	The apple will have to run solinoids and led displays. I would also
include a sound processor. A simple multivoice spu will cost about $20.
The card will have approx 64 digital outputs. If you wish to run solinoids
then you will require a darlington transistor and a diode. To run leds you will
require a similar set up, but a single IC will run and entire display.

	The apple will require inputs also. This can be done on the same card,]
using a.. say, 32 to 8 multiplxer, which is 2 74ls154. These will detect the
ball when it rolls over silver trigger sections next to the soilnoids.

	This little project should provide you with heaps of fun for while.
If the machine is old, and not worth restoring, the go ahead do it.

					Steve h