[sci.electronics] New Magazine: Elektor Electronics USA ?

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (01/03/91)

Just got a mail advertisement for a new magazine called
Elektor Electronics USA.  This appears to be a US edition
of a Dutch magazine.

The blurb has some claims like "Twelve engineers go to work in
Holland every day just to develop for your enjoyment the
very latest in electronic projects".  And "Unlike other
magazines ... written by professionals".

Is this a magazine or a fancy catalog?  And is it worth
the $20 introductory price?

(Elektor Electronics USA
PO Box 876
Peterborough, NH  03458-0876)
^^^
Hmm, is this Wayne Green or Byte ...

markz@ssc.uucp

gonzalez@bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) (01/04/91)

In article <724@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>Just got a mail advertisement for a new magazine called
>Elektor Electronics USA.  This appears to be a US edition
>of a Dutch magazine.
>
>The blurb has some claims like "Twelve engineers go to work in
>Holland every day just to develop for your enjoyment the
>very latest in electronic projects".  And "Unlike other
>magazines ... written by professionals".
>
>Is this a magazine or a fancy catalog?  And is it worth
>the $20 introductory price?

I filled out their bingo card from a deck sent to me by one of the trades.
I received my free issue last month.  It seems to be a cross between
Elementary Electronics (*lots* of simple single-page projects) and
Stereophile (*lots* of ads for high-end audio suppliers; many from northern
New England).  There are several more-involved projects, but they're for
things like TV decoders for European standard broadcasts, etc.  that don't
do us much good.  They use odd symbols in some of their schematics, and use
the European standard of commas as decimal points and spaces between
decimal digit triplets (i.e. 1,000.50 -> 1 000,50).  They note in the
beginning of the magazine that it as an attempt to "internationalize"
electronics.

I'll be canceling the subscription.  By the way, they didn't specify a price
on the bingo card, but the invoice I received was for $28, not $20.

What I'm looking for is a magazine that talks about design and assmebly
techniques.  What comes to mind are things like an article I once saw in
Byte, in which the author discussed his practice of bending the pins on
wirewrap sockets outward, gluing the shoulders to the prototyping board.
This allowed wires and components to be on the same side of the board,
saving space (a problem in his application).  Circuit Cellar Ink *may* be
what I'm looking for; the one issue of Midnight Engineering I looked at was
disappointing.  I also got a letter from a comapny in Connecticut that is
offering a loosleaf binder of such information for $40 or $50, with periodic
updates of unspecified length at the rate of $0.25 per page.  Ouch.

				-Jim.

ken@csis.dit.csiro.au (Ken Yap) (01/04/91)

>Just got a mail advertisement for a new magazine called
>Elektor Electronics USA.  This appears to be a US edition
>of a Dutch magazine.
>
>The blurb has some claims like "Twelve engineers go to work in
>Holland every day just to develop for your enjoyment the
>very latest in electronic projects".  And "Unlike other
>magazines ... written by professionals".
>
>Is this a magazine or a fancy catalog?  And is it worth
>the $20 introductory price?
>
>(Elektor Electronics USA
>PO Box 876
>Peterborough, NH  03458-0876)

Elektor is actually one of the best mags I have seen for construction
projects, at least in the versions I have read (English and French). I
used to subscribe but got frustrated not having the time to tinker so I
let my subscription lapse. Post a review if you subscribe.

Now my request: is there a Dutch reader of this newsgrouo who can send
me the subscription details for the Dutch edition? I got tired of the
trend towards more general info and news articles in the UK edition
which I felt were mostly posturing. I want pages filled with projects,
not with articles about how a British firm is one of the leaders in
co-generation technology, etc.  Thanks in advance.

	Ken
	ken@csis.dit.csiro.au

dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr David Morning) (01/04/91)

This is a genuine electronics magazine. It first appeared in the UK about 15
years ago. It has built itself a reputation for good projects over the years.
It's worth a look.

Dave

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (01/06/91)

In article <61847@bbn.BBN.COM>, gonzalez@bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) writes:
> I received my free issue last month.  It seems to be a cross between
> Elementary Electronics (*lots* of simple single-page projects) and
> Stereophile (*lots* of ads for high-end audio suppliers; many from
> northern New England).

One of the many email replys I got said that Elektor USA was published
by the Audio Amateur publisher.  Which I think was the publisher of
the late Computer Smyth.

> What I'm looking for is a magazine that talks about design and assmebly
> techniques.  What comes to mind are things like an article I once saw in
> Byte, in which the author discussed his practice of bending the pins on
> wirewrap sockets outward, gluing the shoulders to the prototyping board.
> This allowed wires and components to be on the same side of the board,
> saving space (a problem in his application).

Two possibilities.  The catalogs for the hardware manufacturers.
Vector, Robinson Nugent, Augat.  The same side wire wrap sockets
were/are a catalog item from one of the socket manufactuers, but
finding a stocking distributor is one of life's little challenges.
All sorts of neat stuff is designed, but finding it can be difficult
or expensive.  But often if you know it can be done, you can improvise.

One example is insulation displacement breadboard sockets, 3M scotchflex
or vero.  The next time I need to stock up, I'm going to check out
the prices on the insulation displacing .1 inch single row header connectors
from molex/methode/panduit.  Should be a good fit to a wire wrap socket and
quite a bit more rugged.

The other source are the trade magazines for the electronics assembly
business.  Electronic Packaging and Production (the current title
may be Electrionics, not sure) and it's competitors.

> Circuit Cellar Ink *may* be  what I'm looking for;

I recommend it.

> the one issue of Midnight Engineering I looked at was  disappointing.

I have to agree.  Some really neat stuff, weighted down with a
60 percent load of articles like  "You too can achive yuppiedom if you
follow the 7 fold path of Correct Marketing".  Makes the noise
level too high.

markz@ssc.uucp

josef@nixpbe.nixdorf.de (josef Moellers) (01/07/91)

In <724@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:

>Just got a mail advertisement for a new magazine called
>Elektor Electronics USA.  This appears to be a US edition
>of a Dutch magazine.

>The blurb has some claims like "Twelve engineers go to work in
>Holland every day just to develop for your enjoyment the
>very latest in electronic projects".  And "Unlike other
>magazines ... written by professionals".

>Is this a magazine or a fancy catalog?  And is it worth
>the $20 introductory price?

>(Elektor Electronics USA
>PO Box 876
>Peterborough, NH  03458-0876)
>^^^
>Hmm, is this Wayne Green or Byte ...

>markz@ssc.uucp

The ELEKTOR magazine I know of here in Europe (it is, at least,
published in Germany and Holland) is IMHO not worth the paper printed
on. It is nice for kids who want to have a go with their new soldering
iron but
- "the very latest in electronic projects" are
  = digital clocks (virtually every issue has one)
  = dimmers (same)
  = chimes (same)
- in order to build one of their "projects", You need at least three of
  their issues:
  = the one which carries the original project
  = the one which carries the errata (corrections)
  = the one which carries more corrections.

As a side note: the Dutch edition of ELEKTOR uses it's very own
orthography: they consistently write certain words as they are spoken:
best example, as it occurs most often: "type" (e.g. ... of a transistor)
is spelled "tipe" by them, they'll probably spell it "taip" in the US B-{)

--
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG |
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixdorf.com	| Abt. STO-XS 113			     |

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (01/09/91)

> I received my free issue last month.  It seems to be a cross between
> Elementary Electronics (*lots* of simple single-page projects) and
with automatic membership in the Bill Gates Fan Club.

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (01/09/91)

}
}The blurb has some claims like "Twelve engineers go to work in
}Holland every day just to develop for your enjoyment the
}very latest in electronic projects".  And "Unlike other
}magazines ... written by professionals".
}
}Is this a magazine or a fancy catalog?  And is it worth
}the $20 introductory price?
}
}(Elektor Electronics USA
}PO Box 876
}Peterborough, NH  03458-0876)

Isn't there something like, "Send no money now.  If, on receipt of your
first issue you are not COMPLETELY SATISFIED, return our invoice with the
word CANCEL written across it.  In any case, the trial issue is yours to
keep."

Well, "in any case", I wouldn't send them one thin dime until I had the
first issue in my hand.

--

Norm Strong  (strong@tc.fluke.com)
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144

SONDRICK@HASARA11.BITNET (Rick Jansen) (01/09/91)

I'm a subscriber of the Dutch 'Elektuur', which is as far as I know
part of a European magazine-group. In Germany the magazine is
called 'Elektor'.

I quite like Elektor/Elektuur. It has good projects, ranging from
a do-it-yourself modular synthesizer (years ago) to lasers, radio,
computers, audio etc. Both big and small projects are published.
Once a year they have an issue with ca. 100 nifty circuits,
compiled from manufacturers' datasheets and research of their own.

Rick.                                       (:>
                                          ~(_)~
- - - - - - - - cut here - - - - - - - - - ""- - - - - -
Rick Jansen                  | e-mail: SONDRICK@HASARA11
SARA User Support Department |         Rick@SARA.NL

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (01/10/91)

In article <736@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:

   > techniques.  What comes to mind are things like an article I once saw in
   > Byte, in which the author discussed his practice of bending the pins on
   > wirewrap sockets outward, gluing the shoulders to the prototyping board.
   > This allowed wires and components to be on the same side of the board,
   > saving space (a problem in his application).

Speaking of wire wrap hacks : I don't know if this is original, but my
circuits usually involve both DIP chips and discretes. Small discretes
like 1/4 W resistors, plastic transistors, small caps, can be directly
inserted into a wire wrap socket. If they seem insecure, a touch of
solder (before inserting the socket into the board) keeps them in place.
The larger components (such as 1N4000 series diodes and large caps), I
directly wire-wrap to. That is, I insert the device into the board,
without the benefit of a socket. It's certainly not as good a contact
as wrapping to square posts, but  it's usually adequate.

Anyone else have more WW hacks ? My biggest problem is getting the right
length of wire. I've been disappointed with a couple of wire strippers, so
I use precut lengths. Anyone know a reliable wire stripper ?

   ... Midnight Engineering ...
   I have to agree.  Some really neat stuff, weighted down with a
   60 percent load of articles like  "You too can achive yuppiedom if you
   follow the 7 fold path of Correct Marketing".  Makes the noise
   level too high.

Well, the stated goal of ME was to help engineering entrepreneurs, not
being a strict hobbyist magazine. I've gotten some useful stuff out of
the non-technical articles in ME.

Regards,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

michael@vk2bea.UUCP (Michael G. Katzmann) (01/11/91)

In article <724@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>Just got a mail advertisement for a new magazine called
>Elektor Electronics USA.  This appears to be a US edition
>of a Dutch magazine.
>
>The blurb has some claims like "Twelve engineers go to work in
>Holland every day just to develop for your enjoyment the
>very latest in electronic projects".  And "Unlike other
>magazines ... written by professionals".
>
>Is this a magazine or a fancy catalog?  And is it worth
>the $20 introductory price?

I used to read this magazine (the version printed in the UK) about 10 years
ago. IMHO it was one of the best magazines of its type around. Very clever
and well thought out circuits that work. Generally they were not as detailed
as the WW projects but the quality of E&WW (Electronics and Wireless World)
has deteriorated over the last few years. (A distressingly general trend).

I'll certainly look out for it here in the states!

--
Michael Katzmann	  >	Broadcast Sports Technology Inc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~	 <	Crofton, Maryland. U.S.A

In article <JON_SREE.91Jan9123228@world.std.com> jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:
>The larger components (such as 1N4000 series diodes and large caps), I
>directly wire-wrap to. That is, I insert the device into the board,
>without the benefit of a socket. It's certainly not as good a contact
>as wrapping to square posts, but  it's usually adequate.

This is a recipe for long-term unreliability.  All it takes is a little
bit of oxidation between the device pin and the wrapped wire.  You aren't
really wire-wrapping at all:  those sharp-edged square posts are *important*
to wire-wrap, because they bite into the wire and form solid gas-tight
contacts that are reliable forever.  (The bites are why you shouldn't
re-wrap wire.)  I'd strongly advise adding a bit of solder to make the
contacts reliable, at least if the gadget is meant to last.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry