[sci.electronics] RS-232 powered modems

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (01/21/91)

I've seen small 2400 baud modems that *only* have COM and phone connections.
How do these pull power from the telephone or computer?  I need to make a
box with similar needs (a few LS parts) and of course they need a +5 power
supply.  Is there a +5V line on RS-232C and is it standard with DB25 and DB9
connectors?  Or is there a +12,etc that I could feed into a voltage regulator?

Thanks!

--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (01/21/91)

In article <19983@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>I've seen small 2400 baud modems that *only* have COM and phone connections.
>How do these pull power from the telephone or computer?  I need to make a
>box with similar needs (a few LS parts) and of course they need a +5 power
>supply.  Is there a +5V line on RS-232C and is it standard with DB25 and DB9
>connectors?  Or is there a +12,etc that I could feed into a voltage regulator?

No, there are no power lines. What you can do is use switching diodes to
automatically give you a path to the most positive pin(s) and draw just
a _little_ power from them. It has to be micropower (on the order of 1 mA).

squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada) (01/21/91)

In article <19983@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>I've seen small 2400 baud modems that *only* have COM and phone connections.
>How do these pull power from the telephone or computer?  I need to make a
>box with similar needs (a few LS parts) and of course they need a +5 power
>supply.  Is there a +5V line on RS-232C and is it standard with DB25 and DB9
>connectors?  Or is there a +12,etc that I could feed into a voltage
regulator?

The phone line supplies a small amount of DC bias typically when off-hook.
I know in certain areas it also supplies a small bias even when on-hook.
However, these voltages are NOT meant for use, and should not be used for
driving external circuits.

On the other hand however, the RS-232 standard has connectors for +5V on
its line. It should in serious cases have a +12V line. The modem most
likely makes its connection here. Certain computers (notably non-ibms) and
possibly portables do not support these lines because it in these machines
their power supplies could overheat and breakdown. This is probably no
longer a huge problem since IBM keeps building huge wattage power supplies
and newer circuit boards make better use of less power.

In the MacIntosh world (my niche), the RS-422 interface (a better and
compatable system to RS-232) does not support power lines. This is because
the Mac Plus was VERY prone to power overload with its small power supply.
In the example of the Practical Peripherals Pocket Modem, the Mac version
needs a 9 Volt battery to make it work. This might also be necessary with
any portable computer (pocket modems chief end-user).

Well, I hope that helps :)

Shishin Yamada			Northwestern University
Electrical Engineering		Class of 1991

In article <19983@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>I've seen small 2400 baud modems that *only* have COM and phone connections.
>How do these pull power from the telephone or computer? ...

If you're thinking of the really tiny portable ones, there is generally
a 9V battery tucked in somewhere, I believe.

It is possible to pull a small amount of power from the phone lines, but
this has to be done very carefully.  There have been line-powered modems,
but my impression is that they historically have not been very satisfactory.
The available power is quite small and somewhat variable.

>...s there a +5V line on RS-232C and is it standard with DB25 and DB9
>connectors?  Or is there a +12,etc ...

No.  There is no dependable source of any power voltage on an RS232
connector with 25 pins, much less one with 9.

Some very small leased-line modems draw their power from the RS232 signal
and modem-control lines, but this takes quite clever low-power design.
The total available is measured in individual milliamps.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

In article <2820@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada) writes:

>On the other hand however, the RS-232 standard has connectors for +5V on
>its line.

Er... not as far as I can determine. I've never seen one that did.

grayt@Software.Mitel.COM (Tom Gray) (01/22/91)

:
:If you're thinking of the really tiny portable ones, there is generally
:a 9V battery tucked in somewhere, I believe.
:
:It is possible to pull a small amount of power from the phone lines, but
:this has to be done very carefully.  There have been line-powered modems,
:but my impression is that they historically have not been very satisfactory.
:The available power is quite small and somewhat variable.
:

The telephone loop supplies power at a nominal voltage of 48V (max 56, min 42).
The DC resistance of the loop will vary from 0 to 1800 ohms.

During an active call (line off hook) you may draw up to 40mA from the loop
at whatever voltage the loop is going to give you (remember the loop resistance).
When the line is inactive, you may not draw more than 3 or 4mA from the loop
Drawing more than this will falsely start a new call.

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) (01/22/91)

In some article, someone writes:
>:It is possible to pull a small amount of power from the phone lines, but
>:this has to be done very carefully.

"The Art of Electronics" (Horowitz and Hill) describes in detail how much
power can be extracted from phone lines, how to do it, and how to design
low-power circuits in general.

And, to kill two birds with one stone, here's my book review:
I just got "The Art of Electronics" (2nd ed.) on the net's recommendation.
It's crammed full of useful information and is interesting to read.  It
covers nearly everything (e.g. transistors, op amps, digital, computer
interfacing, amplifiers, high frequency, low power, measurement, high
accuracy)  It's low on theory and concentrates on practical circuits,
advice, and techniques.  It moves too quickly to be an introductory book,
but would be great for anyone else.  I give it a thumbs up, even though
it's expensive ($50).

Ken Shirriff			shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (01/22/91)

In article <6128@healey>, grayt@Software.Mitel.COM (Tom Gray) writes...
>In article <1991Jan21.025151.6524@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>:In article <19983@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>:>I've seen small 2400 baud modems that *only* have COM and phone connections.
>:>How do these pull power from the telephone or computer? ...
>:
>:If you're thinking of the really tiny portable ones, there is generally
>:a 9V battery tucked in somewhere, I believe.
>:
>:It is possible to pull a small amount of power from the phone lines, but
>:this has to be done very carefully.  There have been line-powered modems,
>:but my impression is that they historically have not been very satisfactory.
>:The available power is quite small and somewhat variable.
>:
>
>The telephone loop supplies power at a nominal voltage of 48V (max 56, min 42).
>The DC resistance of the loop will vary from 0 to 1800 ohms.
>
>During an active call (line off hook) you may draw up to 40mA from the loop
>at whatever voltage the loop is going to give you (remember the loop resistance).
>When the line is inactive, you may not draw more than 3 or 4mA from the loop
>Drawing more than this will falsely start a new call.

    FCC Part 68 specifies this for the United States.  I believe the on-hook
impedance must be greater than 10 megohms.  I have designed products that
incorporate "line sniffers" that detect loss of the -48V on-hook voltage.  The
strategy is to slowly charge a low leakage capacitor thru a 10 megohm resistor
and discharge it rapidly thru a coupling transformer or optocoupler.  The
whole cycle takes a few seconds.  Interestingly, this all falls apart when the
phone line is shared; the off-hook voltage is not enough to detect reliably.
So we added special loop current relays to detect the off-hook condition.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada) (01/22/91)

	I might be wrong about that RS-232 and power supply. I remember
working on the IBM way back when (and frying a homebrew periapheral
interface adapter). At that time it was on a big IBm with a 25 pin RS-232
port. I do not think the 9 pin RS-232 port has the same thing.

	I could very well be wrong (and thinking of the IBM's parallel port
since I worked with that too). It is hard because I remember how tough it
was to come up with spec sheets for the RS-232 pinouts at the time.
Anyways, now I am a dedicated Mac User with its RS-422 ports that are
downward compatable with RS-232.

	In more enlightening (and accurate) news, I just picked up a
Practical Peripherals promo sheet about their new modems. In particular the
Practical Pocket Modem (2400PPM) says the following:

	"...Thanks to its remakable design, no-fail power comes directly
from a RS232 port and the telephone line; you never have to find a wall
outlet or change batteries.... Mac users will need a separate 9V battery
adaptor included in the optional Macintosh package."

	I know for SURE that Mac doesn't support any power lines since the
Mac Plus. The Mac Plus and earlier supported +5V on their 9 pin serial
lines (very similar to RS-232 nine pin standard, and I believe the same
pinout too). More recent macs drop this because of third party use that
damaged many weak Mac Plus power supplies.

	Having thought about storing power on such a small modem poses
problems, as a storage device has to be extremely small. Also, if taken
from the phone line when "off-hook" (a DC voltage is assumed), you'd have
to look out for the 80-100 Volts AC that occur during ringing. If it was
drawn from the RS-232 data/hankshake lines, it would need a method of
tapping, filtering, and stabilizing the power. It would seem to me that
tapping from the DTR line would be the BEST bet (if there's no power line)
since it could be turned on/off at will from the computer and is not used
in modems without flow control. In this case, the 2400PPM seems to be a
standard 2400 bps without data compression/error control, which means it
probably doesn't require DTR handshaking. Please note, I am only guessing...

	Anyways, I do know of a more probable and better source of
information. You could try "GO PPIFORUM" on Compuserve or even the
"comp.dcom.modems" news group.

Shishin "Squish" Yamada		Squishy@Casbah.Acns.Nwu.Edu
Northwestern University		Electrical Engineering Class of 1991

PS: If anyone has a text of RS-232 standards (25/9 pin), I would appreciate
an e-mail. For sake of conscience, I'd like to see again what was on those
specs.

olson@bootsie.uucp (Eric K. Olson) (01/23/91)

The Farallon (sp?) MacRecorder is a little 8-bit 22 KHz digitizer that
plugs into the Macintosh serial port and draws its power from the
Modem Control lines (DSR/DTR)!

I considered doing this, but I wanted the modem control lines for data.

-Eric

--
Eric K. Olson, Editor, Prepare()      NOTE:     olson@bootsie.uucp doesn't work
Lexington Software Design             Internet: olson@endor.harvard.edu

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (01/23/91)

In <2820@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada) writes:

>In article <19983@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>>I've seen small 2400 baud modems that *only* have COM and phone connections.
>>How do these pull power from the telephone or computer?  I need to make a
>>box with similar needs (a few LS parts) and of course they need a +5 power
>>supply.  Is there a +5V line on RS-232C and is it standard with DB25 and DB9
>>connectors?  Or is there a +12,etc that I could feed into a voltage
>regulator?

CMOS parts and clever power circuitry are needed here to draw power from the
RS-232C and/or the phone line.

>The phone line supplies a small amount of DC bias typically when off-hook.
>I know in certain areas it also supplies a small bias even when on-hook.
>However, these voltages are NOT meant for use, and should not be used for
>driving external circuits.

However some products use the phone line for power. The phone company would not
be happy with any large load on the wires, and indeed the equipment which
attempted to load the wires too much would be unreliable or simply wouldn't
work. There are probably recommendations for maximum permissible loading of the
phone lines.

>On the other hand however, the RS-232 standard has connectors for +5V on
>its line. It should in serious cases have a +12V line. The modem most
>likely makes its connection here. Certain computers (notably non-ibms) and
>possibly portables do not support these lines because it in these machines
>their power supplies could overheat and breakdown. This is probably no
>longer a huge problem since IBM keeps building huge wattage power supplies
>and newer circuit boards make better use of less power.

Some "RS-232C" ports have power connections but the vast majority don't. On some
newer systems which use RTS/CTS handshaking (as opposed to DTR/CTS), it may be
possible to draw power from DTR depending on current drive capabilities of that
signal. DTR is in these cases at a steady positive level, either all the time
the computer is switched on or whenever the serial port is open.

>needs a 9 Volt battery to make it work. This might also be necessary with
>any portable computer (pocket modems chief end-user).

I have used a portable modem and use portable computers. I don't intend to use
the portable modem much on batteries because the modem fails instananeously as
soon as the batteries hit a certain voltage. What I'd really like to use is a
modem (2400 bps or more) that draws all its power from the phone lines (at least
while online), using a high level at DTR to switch the modem on. Does anyone
know about such creatures?
--
Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Nico Garcia) (01/26/91)

>In article <19983@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>>supply.  Is there a +5V line on RS-232C and is it standard with DB25 and DB9
>>connectors?  Or is there a +12,etc that I could feed into a voltage
>regulator?

Ummm, I'm looking at a listing of the EIA signals from a Maxwell modem right
here. It says pin 9 is +Testing Voltage, Pin 10 is -Testing Voltage. Now, if
the *terminal* is wired appropriately, there could indeed be a voltage source
there. I've got one of the old phone line modems, though, 1200 baud and
almost indestructible. I kinda like it. Runs off the "off-hook" current,
which is supposed to be about 10-15 volts across a 600 ohm telephone load.

--
			Nico Garcia
			Designs by Geniuses for use by Idiots

In article <1010@eplunix.UUCP> raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Nico Garcia) writes:
>Ummm, I'm looking at a listing of the EIA signals from a Maxwell modem right
>here. It says pin 9 is +Testing Voltage, Pin 10 is -Testing Voltage. Now, if
>the *terminal* is wired appropriately, there could indeed be a voltage source
>there...

Those test voltages are usually run through something like a 1k resistor so
you can't accidentally fry things by misconnecting them.  This also severely
limits their usefulness as power sources, assuming your device generates them
at all.  (Many [most?] professional-grade modems do, but I doubt that many
terminals do.  PC-market modems are anyone's guess.)

As I said before, but not emphatically enough:  there is *no* pin on a
standard RS232 connector which is guaranteed to be able to supply a serious
amount of power.  Some devices do put power pins on RS232 connectors; this
is useful if you've got it, but it's not dependably available on a random
RS232 connector.  The standard RS232 pins are all signal pins except for
those two test voltages.
--

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan21.142804.5726@uhura.neoucom.EDU> wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>>>On the other hand however, the RS-232 standard has connectors for +5V on
>>>its line.
>>
>>Er... not as far as I can determine. I've never seen one that did.
>
>There are a few non-standard computers that supply power on their
>COM ports, the Amiga series from Commodore, for example.  In fact
>the Amiga is a bit of a problem because there is enough oomph on
>the COM port to toast improperly wired items, though normal modems
>usually have Commodore's pin uncommited.

Just a minor correction:  This was true of the original Amiga-1000, but
not of the whole series.  The Amiga-2000 has a nice, well-behaved serial
port that is electricaly very similar to the one on PCs and other machines.
I believe this is true of the 500 and 3000 machines as well.

The 1000 did have all sorts of weird signals on pins that were unused on
"standard" RS232.  These signals are available on some sort of auxiliary
pin header inside the 2000, so an adaptor is available to create a port
that looks like the one on the 1000.  I think there were problems with the
nonstandard signals, so thats why they changed on the later models.

Incidently, the parallel port was also revised so that the later models can
use standard IBM-PC printer cables, while the A1000 could not.

Steve Tell       tell@.cs.unc.edu      919 968 1792     #5L Estes Park apts
CS Grad Student, UNC Chapel Hill.                       Carrboro NC 27510