[sci.electronics] deer deterrant

rick@sdl.scs.com (Rick Sedlak) (01/25/91)

A friend of mine is being troubled by deer eating the shrubbery around
his property.  A scarecrow has failed to keep them away. Throwing stones
or running at them to scare them away only gets them to move out of range.
He's not the hunting type, so he doesn't want to do away with them, he
just wants them to stay clear of his property.

Does anyone know of any pest control product or method that would keep
deer away from your property?

I understand that there is an ultrasonic whistler that you can attach to
your car, but doesn't this only get their attention when your at a greater
distance from them while driving to give them a greater opportunity to stay
clear of your car?

I understand that there is a product which is supposed to keep rodents away,
which I think works using ultrasonics as well.

Does anyone know if ultrasonic stimulus is effective as a deterrant on deer?
If so,  what frequencies are effective?

It has been suggested to me that the scent of a predator would do the trick,
like bear or wolf, etc.  Also, a friend tells me that scent of human definately
works, if you collect some human hair cuttings (barber or beautician sweepings)
and hang out some stockings filled with the cuttings on the perimeter of the
land in question.

I would greatly appreciate any response from the net community on any deer
deterent products or methods.

Thanks.

-- Rick
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|  Richard J. Sedlak                  |  Mentor Graphics                |
|  UUCP     : <world>!uunet!sdl!rick  |  Silicon Design Division        |
|  Internet : rick@sdl.scs.com        |  15 Independence Boulevard      |
|  Phone    : (201) 580-0102 x263     |  Warren, NJ 07060               |
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

[...]

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (01/25/91)

Our local arboritum had trouble with an exploding deer population
devoring the young trees.  The solution is decidedly low
technology.  They hung dozens of trial-size (i.e. like the bars you
see in airplane lavalotries) bars of Ivory and Life Buoy soap on
strings from the tree brnaches.  The deer were attracted by the
sweet smell of the soap, took a nibble or two and Y-u-c-k!!  Boy
these trees sure taste awful!  The soap, of course, has no long
term deleterious physiological effect on the deer.

To prolong the life of the soap bars, it is best to leave them
wrapped up in the paper that they come with.  Attachemnt is
facilitated by drilling a hole in the middle of the soap cake to
provide a study way to attach the string.

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

mmw@druhi.ATT.COM (Wright-Watso) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan24.222319.5432@sdl.scs.com>, rick@sdl.scs.com (Rick Sedlak) writes:
> if you collect some human hair cuttings (barber or beautician sweepings)
> and hang out some stockings filled with the cuttings on the perimeter of the
> land in question.

A friend of mine tried human hair last year but for her it didn't work.

On the Victory Garden they toured a nursery that used Life Boy soap in
a bag, hanging by a plant that the deer liked to eat.  Which seemed to
work for them...

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan24.222319.5432@sdl.scs.com> rick@sdl.scs.com (Rick Sedlak) writes:

> A friend of mine is being troubled by deer eating the shrubbery around
> his property.  A scarecrow has failed to keep them away. Throwing stones
> or running at them to scare them away only gets them to move out of range.
> He's not the hunting type, so he doesn't want to do away with them, he
> just wants them to stay clear of his property.
>
> Does anyone know of any pest control product or method that would keep
> deer away from your property?

I had the same problem.  I wouldn't want to do anything to harm them,
and the only solution I found that worked was to install six-foot high
fencing around the plants.  I found out the hard way that chicken wire
(poultry netting) isn't too good in areas where it snows--it isn't strong
enough to survive the wet snow.  Galvanized wire fencing gets expensive
but lasts a lot longer.

I didn't try any of the ultrasonic devices.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

klg@george.mc.duke.edu (Kim Greer -- rjj) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan25.143233.16625@uhura.neoucom.EDU> wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Our local arboritum had trouble with an exploding deer population
>devoring the young trees.  The solution is decidedly low
>technology.  They hung dozens of trial-size (i.e. like the bars you
>see in airplane lavalotries) bars of Ivory and Life Buoy soap on
>strings from the tree brnaches.

Again, not really high tech, but:

  Another solution that I've been told about, and probably will try in my
garden this year is to get leftover hair from a barber shop and sprinkle it
around the trees, or garden or whatnot.  My barber says he has a number of
people who ask him to save hair for them, and several friends have mentioned
it also.

--
Kim L. Greer
Duke University Medical Center		 klg@orion.mc.duke.edu

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (01/28/91)

I had read in an article in the Wall Street Journal that rotten eggs,
diluted in water and sprayed where you don't want the deer to go,
are a highly effective deer repellant.

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (01/28/91)

In article <38543@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> I had read in an article in the Wall Street Journal that rotten eggs,
> diluted in water and sprayed where you don't want the deer to go,
> are a highly effective deer repellant.

Makes a rather effective people deterrent, too.  L'eau de putrid!

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) (01/28/91)

In article <38543@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> I had read in an article in the Wall Street Journal that rotten eggs,
> diluted in water and sprayed where you don't want the deer to go,
> are a highly effective deer repellant.

  Not to mention, everyone else    :-)

3ZLUFUR@CMUVM.BITNET (Elliott Parker) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan24.174620.3984@sdl.scs.com>, rick@sdl.scs.com (Rick Sedlak)
says:

>Does anyone know of any pest control product or method that would keep
>deer away from your property?

Last fall one of the gardening mags (sorry, forgot which one) reported
on experiments in Wisconsin (?).  The only surefire way to deter deer
was found to be a single strand electric fence smeared with peanut
butter.  The deer try to eat the pb, get zinged, and learn to stay
away.
    The local extension people in Michigan recommend a product called
Hinder, a liquid conc. that is diluted and sprayed on plants and around
perimeter.  We tried it last fall and it *seems* to work well.  Of
course, maybe we didn't grow anything the deer wanted.  :-)
    (I don't have the manufacturer's address here; email me if you
want it.)

Elliott Parker                   BITNET: 3ZLUFUR@CMUVM
Journalism Dept.                 Internet: eparker@well.sf.ca.us
Central Michigan University      Compuserve: 70701,520
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA       UUCP: {psuvax1}!cmuvm.bitnet!3zlufur

ken@wcsn.csms.com (Kenneth D. Fox WCSN ops eng) (01/28/91)

In article <RMURA.91Jan25161315@world.std.com>, rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) writes:
> In article <1991Jan24.222319.5432@sdl.scs.com> rick@sdl.scs.com (Rick Sedlak) writes:

Hi everyone!

I read all of your postings concerning the deer problems

I thought that you all would like to know what we use up here in
"the great white north" (I don't know why they call it great?)

I have found that the following remedies work well.

1. Ivory soap bars, small ones placed around your garden.
   WORKS GREAT UP HERE!

2. Human hair, sometimes works. Unless the dear are tame

3. Preditor urine, you can buy it at a hunting sport shop.
   it doesn't last long, after it rains you must re-apply it.
4. Alluminum pans, buy the cheap pie pans at the market
   and hang them off a stake or the shrub, doesn't look to good
   though.

Someone mentioned the ultrisonic noise makers. My brother in law
drives a truck and he swears buy them. I don't know if they
sell a stationary model. The ones I've seen attach to your car
grill, and the air whistles an ulitrisonic tone when you are moving.

Thank You!

KEN
N1HTI (ham radio)

Old Town, Maine.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (01/30/91)

From article <1991Jan25.143233.16625@uhura.neoucom.EDU>, by wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew):
> Our local arboritum had trouble with an exploding deer population
> devoring the young trees.  The solution is decidedly low
> Technology.

A method used by Orchardists in South Carolina to chase deer is also effective,
but only on deer that still fear humans.  They take the plastic bags that you
buy apples in, (the ones with holes) and put a handfull of human hair (from
the local barbershop floor).  These are not eaten of course, and last for many
months.  They resort to 12 gauge shotguns for those unafraid of humans...
I only endorse the former method, not the latter.

Enough non-Sci.electronics...

gil@jts.com (Gil Hauer ) (01/31/91)

In article <7349@drutx.ATT.COM> mmw@druhi.ATT.COM (Wright-Watso) writes:
>In article <1991Jan24.222319.5432@sdl.scs.com>, rick@sdl.scs.com (Rick Sedlak) writes:
>On the Victory Garden they toured a nursery that used Life Boy soap in
>a bag, hanging by a plant that the deer liked to eat.  Which seemed to
>work for them...

the subject was "deer deterrant" not "deer detergent" :-)
--
| Gil Hauer, Tech Noir Inc.   |       gil@jtsv16.jts.com                  |

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (02/03/91)

I seem to recall reading that some zoos were selling bags of lion and tiger
droppings for use a combination fertilizer and deer deterrent.