[sci.electronics] power supply

rpm@wd.msc.umn.edu (Rod Meyer) (06/30/90)

Hello.
Can anybody out there help me locate a transformer (or power supply)
that is capable of supply ~15Volts and a LOT of current? (around
20 - 30 amps).  By the way, it also needs to be reasonably priced,
less than $100.00  What I am attempting to do is build a rapid charger
for NiCd batteries that is capable of doing 4 or 5 at a time.  I would
like the charger to be compact and don't want to put in several transformers.

Thanks for any help!
-Rod Meyer

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (07/01/90)

Rod Meyer writes:

>Can anybody out there help me locate a transformer (or power supply)
>that is capable of supply ~15Volts and a LOT of current? (around
>20 - 30 amps).  By the way, it also needs to be reasonably priced,
>less than $100.00  What I am attempting to do is build a rapid charger
>for NiCd batteries that is capable of doing 4 or 5 at a time.  I would
>like the charger to be compact and don't want to put in several transformers.

Start out with a car battery charger; theey're cheap, and you get a box, line
cord, and meter for one low price.

Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

clive@aldetec.oz.au (Clive Salvidge) (02/02/91)

I have just bought a power supply module from a 'electronic junk shop'
and am not sure which of its pins to connect the mains input to!  so
I thought I would see if any of you peeps in netland knew anything of
this beast before I blow it up...

It is made by CONTROL DATA and has a part # 62166100 and claims outputs
of +5 +12 -12 +13 and 6.3ac!  Inputs are 120/220/230 and the power input
block looks like...

  o o o     one of the 6 pins goes to ground
            and there is a low resistance between 2 of the pins
  o o o     and between three of the pins..

I am wondering if there are perhaps 2 windings that should be connected
in series for 230v or parallel for 110v ( I want 230v )

Any ideas????
__________________.         _--_|\         .______________________________
Clive Salvidge    |        /      \        | Internet :  clive@aldetec.oz.au
Aldetec Pty Ltd   |        \_.--._/        | ACSnet   :  clive@aldetec.oz
Western Australia |              v         | Voice    :  +61-9-4451888
_________< Due to a lack of imagination, this space is blank ! >__________

jws@cica4.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) (02/04/91)

 First off, look at the power transformer and see if you're lucky enough to
have the primary labeled. If so you can trace the lines back to the connector.
If not, the primary will probably at least have the winding taps in a
sensible order, so if you have 3 leads the center is the center tap. This
can be verified by measuring resistance from the leftmost lead across. The
resistance increasing monotonically means the reasonable-man theory is in
effect. For 230V you will want the full primary (the highest possible
resistance combination). Find that on the xfmr and trace back to the
connector.