[sci.electronics] Analog signal elay element: Question

sllu@jenny.isi.edu (Shih-Lien Lu) (02/07/91)

Wisdom of the net:

What are some ways to implement delays for analog signals (dealy in 1 ns
resolution)?
One possible way is to have the equiv. of an R/2R ladder.
Is there any other way, in particular, to implement on an IC?
Thanks in advance.

Shih-Lien

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (02/07/91)

In article <16663@venera.isi.edu>, sllu@jenny.isi.edu (Shih-Lien Lu) writes...
>Wisdom of the net:
>
>What are some ways to implement delays for analog signals (dealy in 1 ns
>resolution)?
>One possible way is to have the equiv. of an R/2R ladder.
>Is there any other way, in particular, to implement on an IC?
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Shih-Lien

How about microstrip transmission lines?  The delay will be 1 ns/foot times
the dielectric constant of the circuit board material.  Find a microwave
or ECL book for details.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (02/07/91)

In article <16663@venera.isi.edu> sllu@ISI.EDU (Shih-Lien Lu) writes:

>What are some ways to implement delays for analog signals (dealy in 1 ns
>resolution)?
>One possible way is to have the equiv. of an R/2R ladder.
>Is there any other way, in particular, to implement on an IC?

	You can use a SAW (surface acoustic wave) device with multiple
taps (select the tap for the required delay).  There is an interesting
property of GaAs: it is piezoelectric.  So, at least one company
(whose name I can get, given time to look up the guy who told me...)
which has a GaAs SAW device with multiple taps connected through
multiplying D/A converters to a summing junction.  They are
doing real-time FIR filtering that way.
	A linear CCD device with variable input clock frequency
could do it, but only for low-frequency input signals.
	A modulated light beam can be delayed by bouncing it off
a mirror (and moving the mirror); a Scotchlite retroreflective
panel moved 15 cm would give you a nanosecond's delay.  This, of
course, would mean mechanical motion for change in delay time.

	John Whitmore