[sci.electronics] Tandy-100 laptop

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (02/07/91)

Since I've decided to use the Tandy-100 laptop as my home-control computer,
I want to write all the code in Z80 (I think that's what it uses).  I'm in
the process of scanning the comp.* heirachy, but I thought that there might
be people here in sci.elec that have played with this computer.  Any tips on
memory expansion, a memory map of what hardware is located where in the
address space, schematics, anything, even questions would be a great help.
Of course any information that I get I'll re-post to the net and keep an
archive of for future reference.

thanks,
mike
--
Won't look like rain,           Won't look like snow,            | DOD #000007
Won't look like fog,            That's all we know!              | AMA #511250

bittel@zodiac.rutgers.edu (02/07/91)

In article <7483@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
> Since I've decided to use the Tandy-100 laptop as my home-control computer,
> I want to write all the code in Z80 (I think that's what it uses).  I'm in
> the process of scanning the comp.* heirachy, but I thought that there might
> be people here in sci.elec that have played with this computer.  Any tips on
> memory expansion, a memory map of what hardware is located where in the
> address space, schematics, anything, even questions would be a great help.

Yea, I am using this computer for my senior project.  The computer uses the
8085 which real close to the Z80 I hear.  The assembly language is
simple and straighforward.  The computer also uses the 8155 to do a lot of
its peripheral interfacing.

Recommendation:  Go to Radio Shack and order the technical reference manual.
It -is- available.  The tech manual has EVERYTHING you need.  You will see
that it is simple to interface with the bus since that access is provided
under the back pannel.

    --Harry - NJIT

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (02/07/91)

In article <7483@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
-Since I've decided to use the Tandy-100 laptop as my home-control computer,
-I want to write all the code in Z80
Actually, it uses a CMOS 8085
- Any tips on
-memory expansion, a memory map of what hardware is located where in the
-address space, schematics

Back when I played with the 100, Radio Shack was selling a technical
reference manual for around fifteen dollars.   It had all of the info
you are looking for.  They may still be able to order it.  The one for the
102 probably would do for everything except the schematic.  If that is all
you can get, send me mail and I will send you a copy of the 100 schematics.
/mike
--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East