[sci.electronics] VGA TV

kma@remus.rutgers.edu (Kenneth Ma) (02/01/91)

Hi,

I have a multi-sync. monitor and wonder if the input frequency range
is compatible with TV signals. Is it possible to direct the VCR output
to the monitor, or it needs major hardware conversion?

Kenneth Ma
kma@remus.rutgers.edu

ltran@pluton.matrox.com (Linh TRAN) (02/02/91)

kma@remus.rutgers.edu (Kenneth Ma) writes:

>I have a multi-sync. monitor and wonder if the input frequency range
>is compatible with TV signals. Is it possible to direct the VCR output
>to the monitor, or it needs major hardware conversion?

	I am affraid that you need a major hardware conversion, unless
your monitor has:
	- a TV demodulator; or
	- a composite NTSC input;
or your VCR could output:
	- direct RGB with sync and blanks;

	What you may need is a digitizer boards (or frame grabbing board)
which could cost from $1000 to $5000, depending on the quality. Be prepare
to pay between $1500 to $2000. Certainly, you could make your own board
with less features. Components are in the range of 200 to 500$.

	The main difficulty is:
	* VCR are made to record NTSC signal from TV. Picture informations
are encoded in Y (luminance) I (in phase color components) and Q (quadrature
color components). Inside any TV, there are circuitry which converts YIQ to
RGB (Red Green Blue). The VCR take the YIQ signal and store it on tape as
is, with no conversion at all, so it could play back to any TV with no
conversion.
	 monitors are RGB devices. it lacks the YIQ->RGB of the TV.

--
PHU"O"NG NGUYE^N                    |   --/\\   //---- / /---/  -/
email: ltran@pluton.matrox.com      |    /  \\ //       /---/   /

seed@SSD.HARRIS.COM (Seed Area) (02/02/91)

  The October 1990 issue of Modern Electronics has a NTSC to RGB converter

  project. I ordered the kit  and built it in one evening. It works perfectly

  on my NEC Multisync monitor. A  VCR is used as the tuner. A stereo provides

   the sound. The complete kit was about 90 dollars.

jamesp@misg.csd.harris.com (James Partin) (02/03/91)

In article <2238@travis.csd.harris.com> seed@flipper.CSD.HARRIS.COM (James Partin) writes:

>  The October 1990 issue of Modern Electronics has a NTSC to RGB converter
>                             ******************
>  project. I ordered the kit  and built it in one evening. It works perfectly
>
>  on my NEC Multisync monitor. A  VCR is used as the tuner. A stereo provides
>
>   the sound. The complete kit was about 90 dollars.

    The magazine was Radio Electronics October 1990.
                     -------------------------------

saffe@lut.fi (Petri Savolainen) (02/06/91)

	""" NTSC >>> RGB""" ... sigh,

	Anybody knows anything about similar project for PAL???

	-Saffe-      saffe@lut.fi

dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb06.105335.20336@lut.fi> saffe@lut.fi (Petri Savolainen) writes:
>	""" NTSC >>> RGB""" ... sigh,
>	Anybody knows anything about similar project for PAL???

The Radio-Electronics NTSC-to-RGB converter in the October, 1990 issue
might possibly be modified to convert PAL to RGB.

The project uses two ICs (LM1881 and TDA3330) which according to their
data sheets say that they both work with PAL (and SECAM).

The obvious changes will be the crystal (4.43 MHz instead of 3.58 MHz) and
a few chroma filters. A PAL 64 usec delay must be added which might be the
biggest change.

After looking at the data sheets and the R-E article, it looks possible.

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne