[sci.electronics] GPS accuracy in wake of Desert Storm?

jim.grubs@w8grt.fidonet.org (Jim Grubs) (01/28/91)

 > From: michael@vk2bea.UUCP (Michael G. Katzmann)
 > Date: 25 Jan 91 14:09:22 GMT
 > Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio,sci.electronics,sci.physics
 >
 > Has anyone noticed a degradation of the Navstar GPS system since the
 > outbreak of unpleasentness in the middle east?
 >
 > The implication, when GPS was first started, was that during times of
 > crisis the C/A code would be degraded so that an enemy could not use it.
 >
 > Does differential GPS totally get around this, or is there a trick
 > they can use to defeat this technique?

Jeepers, Michael, why don't we just invite Saddam to sit in on JCS planning
sessions and be done with it?

--
Jim Grubs - Support OPERATION DESERT STORM - the 9th Crusade!
UUCP: ...!uunet!w8grt!jim.grubs

> > From: michael@vk2bea.UUCP (Michael G. Katzmann)
> > Has anyone noticed a degradation of the Navstar GPS system since the
> > outbreak of unpleasentness in the middle east?
> > The implication, when GPS was first started, was that during times of
> > crisis the C/A code would be degraded so that an enemy could not use it.

The last word I heard was that accuracy had actually improved, because the
US military forces in the Gulf are making extensive use of commercial
Navstar receivers, while the Iraqis have little or no Navstar equipment,
so the public-access code is being kept as undegraded as possible.

In article <1154.27A2ECFD@w8grt.fidonet.org> jim.grubs@w8grt.fidonet.org (Jim Grubs) writes:
>Jeepers, Michael, why don't we just invite Saddam to sit in on JCS planning
>sessions and be done with it?

Why bother?  There is nothing secret about any of this.  There is nothing
to be gained, and a fair bit to be lost, by keeping the public in ignorance
of things Saddam already knows.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

poynton@vector.Eng.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (01/29/91)

My understanding is that so many commercial-grade receivers
have been pressed into service that they had to turn the
commercial-accuracy-degrading codes OFF.

C.

-----
Charles A. Poynton                      Sun Microsystems Inc.
vox 415-336-7846                        2550 Garcia Avenue, MTV21-10
fax 415-969-9131                        Mountain View, CA 94043
<poynton@sun.com>                       U.S.A.
-----

marty@puppsr.Princeton.EDU (Marty Ryba) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.044137.20914@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
|> The last word I heard was that accuracy had actually improved, because the
|> US military forces in the Gulf are making extensive use of commercial
|> Navstar receivers, while the Iraqis have little or no Navstar equipment,
|> so the public-access code is being kept as undegraded as possible.

A little deeper information: all the new GPS/Navstar satellites (so-called
"Block II") have what is called SA, Selective Availability.  SA allows the
DoD to dither the effective phase and frequency in the pseudocode that
contains the range information.  I forget, but I think they are also allowed
to lie a little about their orbits.  Anyway, they can then add uncertainty
in several places.  Starting in April or so of last year, they turned on
SA on the Block II satellites, but only part way: they just added about
100 ns pure white phase noise.  So, if you had time to track for a while
(say, if you are NIST and want to transfer atomic time accurately) you could
get around this.  The SA limits triangulation accuracy for positioning to
about 100 meters, compared to 10 m or so with SA off.  Note the few older
Block I satellites still in operation have no SA capability; if you can
control which satellite you talk to, you can get around it (until they launch
enough new ones to retire the old ones).

In August, when Desert Shield started, the DoD realized they needed Navstar
stuff, but their military versions of the receivers are not yet ready, so
they switched SA off.  As Henry stated, this is little strategic loss, with
much to gain (the commercial Navstar receivers are portable enough for
infantry).  If anything, I'd imagine the Iraqis may have some GLONASS
equipment from the Soviets, if they trusted them enough.  GLONASS is just as
good as GPS (but I think the receivers are a little less portable).
--
Marty Ryba                      | slave physics grad student
Princeton University            | They don't care if I exist,

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/31/91)

In article <1321@catnip.berkeley.ca.us> bandy@catnip.berkeley.ca.us (Gun Control is Hitting Your Target) writes:
|So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?

Let's see, if Saddam doesn't have a GPS, it doesn't matter to him
how accurate the GPS he doesn't have is. If he does have a GPS,
it's not going to be hard to find out how accurate it is, assuming
he knows the coordinates of at least one location he has access to.

--
When someone drinks and drives and hurts someone, the abuser is blamed.
When someone drinks and handles a gun and hurts someone,

walvdrk@pttrnl.nl (01/31/91)

>  This is somewhat off the subject, but -
>
>   Why is everyone calling this guy by his first name?  Is it to
>  avoid confusion with the king of Jordan (who seems also none too
>  friendly as well).  Or is there a naming convention in that part
>  of the world that calls for it?

Maybe just because there are even more "Hussain"s around there than there are
"George"s around there?

Kees  van der Wal				  e-mail: JC_vdWal@pttrnl.nl
PTT Research Neher Laboratories
P.O. Box 421
2260 AK  Leidschendam  The Netherlands		       Phone: +31 70 3326295

In article <1321@catnip.berkeley.ca.us> bandy@catnip.berkeley.ca.us (Gun Control is Hitting Your Target) writes:
>So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?

Because it's public information.  If he doesn't know it, it's because he's
not paying attention.  Either he is, in which case telling him about it
again hurts nothing, or he isn't, in which case he isn't going to notice
it this time either.
--

abeals@autodesk.com (Segments Are For Worms) (02/01/91)

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>In article <1321@catnip.berkeley.ca.us> bandy@catnip.berkeley.ca.us (Gun Control is Hitting Your Target) writes:
>|So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?

>Let's see, if Saddam doesn't have a GPS, it doesn't matter to him
>how accurate the GPS he doesn't have is. If he does have a GPS,
>it's not going to be hard to find out how accurate it is, assuming
>he knows the coordinates of at least one location he has access to.

Well, Phil, let's see.

Let's say that Saddam didn't have GPS...

Then he [or one of his agents] reads Henry Spencer's article...

Suddenly, someone buys a bunch of GPS units...

And then ships them off to Iraq...

So, Phil, now do you understand?
--
Andrew Scott Beals
abeals@autodesk.com

karn@epic.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (02/01/91)

Don't forget that the region also has good Loran-C coverage from two
permanent chains in Saudi Arabia. My own experience with the Northeast
USA Loran-C chain has been repeatable accuracy of 20-40 meters; this
is better than the 100 meter figure given for GPS with selective
availability turned on.

Furthermore, Loran-C is available 24 hours/day, unlike GPS which has
coverage gaps. According to publicly available orbital elements and
operational schedules, there is currently a daily gap in GPS coverage
in the Baghdad area from about 1130 to 1200 UTC. (A gap is defined as
fewer than 4 operational satellites visible simultaneously, including
both Block I and Block II spacecraft.)

Phil

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan30.232701.25602@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1321@catnip.berkeley.ca.us> bandy@catnip.berkeley.ca.us (Gun Control is Hitting Your Target) writes:
>|So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?
>
>Let's see, if Saddam doesn't have a GPS, it doesn't matter to him
>how accurate the GPS he doesn't have is. If he does have a GPS,
>it's not going to be hard to find out how accurate it is, assuming
>he knows the coordinates of at least one location he has access to.

Even easier, if he has a GPS receiver, it's all explained in the manual.
At least it is in the manuals for the ones we have.

Gary KE4ZV

jim.grubs@w8grt.fidonet.org (Jim Grubs) (02/02/91)

 > From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
 > Date: 31 Jan 91 16:57:57 GMT
 > Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio,sci.electronics
 >
 > In article <1321@catnip.berkeley.ca.us> bandy@catnip.berkeley.ca.us (Gun
 > Control is Hitting Your Target) writes:
 > >So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?
 >
 > Because it's public information.

You're willing to endanger lives just to prove you have a right to shoot your
mouth off anytime you choose? Being 'right' about abstract consitutional
principles is not worth somebody's life. It would be different if you were
gambling only YOUR life. You're playing games with someone else's life.

--

koning@koning.enet.dec.com (Paul Koning) (02/02/91)

|>Don't forget that the region also has good Loran-C coverage from two
|>permanent chains in Saudi Arabia. My own experience with the Northeast
|>USA Loran-C chain has been repeatable accuracy of 20-40 meters; this
|>is better than the 100 meter figure given for GPS with selective
|>availability turned on.

Repeatability isn't the same as accuracy.  Is Loran-C really ACCURATE to
the number you quoted?  (The FAA writeup about it says otherwise.)

	paul

PS. To Jim Grubs: Please SHUT UP.

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (02/03/91)

     The Trimble Navigation portable GPS receiver, a handheld device
intended for small boat navigation and available in boat shops, is being
used by U.S. troops.  Trimble is manufacturing them as fast as possible,
but can't keep up with the sudden demand.  They're made in here in Silicon
Valley.  The militarized portable GPS receivers aren't available in
quantity yet, so this commercial unit is being pressed into service.

     It's a cute little device.  It takes about 30 seconds for it to get
a fix, it runs on batteries, and it's watertight.  (It even floats.)
Trimble doesn't promise accuracy better than a few hundred meters,
though, so signal degradation for security reasons probably isn't
an issue.

					John Nagle

fred@sma2.uucp (Fred Brooks) (02/03/91)

In article <1172.27A97FF9@w8grt.fidonet.org> jim.grubs@w8grt.fidonet.org (Jim Grubs) writes:

> > >So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?
> >
> > Because it's public information.
>
>You're willing to endanger lives just to prove you have a right to shoot your
>mouth off anytime you choose? Being 'right' about abstract consitutional
>principles is not worth somebody's life. It would be different if you were
>gambling only YOUR life. You're playing games with someone else's life.

Give us all a break. This info is everywhere and has been known for
months. If you read IEEE Spectrum there have been several stories about
it. I'm sure there are a few engineers in Iraq that subscribe.
--

Defend your 2nd amendment rights.
What is the New World Order?

bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (02/04/91)

In article <1172.27A97FF9@w8grt.fidonet.org> jim.grubs@w8grt.fidonet.org (Jim Grubs) writes:
>You're willing to endanger lives just to prove you have a right to shoot your
>mouth off anytime you choose? Being 'right' about abstract consitutional
>principles is not worth somebody's life. It would be different if you were
>gambling only YOUR life. You're playing games with someone else's life.

Get a grip, Jim.  Nobody's endangering anybody by
discussing the capabilities of commercially-available
electronic toys.  The publishers of Jane's know far more
about this stuff than we'll ever crowbar into a Usenet
posting, and you can bet Saddam Hussein's been subscribing
to Jane's since he was just a little dictator.

Dangerous secrets are marked so you can't mistake them
for common knowledge, and I haven't seen any of those
here.

Anyway, he probably knows the insides of every weapon we
have, having got the info from the salesmen who work for
the manufacturers of those weapons.

It's also pretty apparent that he's completely incapable
of anything resembling effective military activity, anyway.
I don't think it will hurt us to let him know the exact
coordinates of the target on which he's standing.

				--Blair
				  "We should show him the battle plans
				   for an upcoming amphibious assault
				   on Baghdad.  He'd send his boats to
				   Israel for safekeeping..."

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (02/04/91)

Assuming the supply catches up with the demand and these widgets
are available again, how much does a GFS receiver cost?

I'd like to be the first on my block with satellite navigation	in
my car, maybe...

bhoughto@hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.062853.21374@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
>Assuming the supply catches up with the demand and these widgets
>are available again, how much does a GFS receiver cost?
>I'd like to be the first on my block with satellite navigation	in
>my car, maybe...

About $3K.

				--Blair
				  "Nobody ever said that knowing your exact
				   position wouldn't affect your momentum..."

In article <1172.27A97FF9@w8grt.fidonet.org> jim.grubs@w8grt.fidonet.org (Jim Grubs) writes:
> > >So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?
> >
> > Because it's public information.
>
>You're willing to endanger lives just to prove you have a right to shoot your
>mouth off anytime you choose? ...

As your leader says, "read my lips:  it's public information".  Nobody is
endangering anybody by discussing it in public, because it has *already*
been discussed in public.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

abeals@autodesk.com (Segments Are For Worms) (02/05/91)

bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>Anyway, he probably knows the insides of every weapon we
>have, having got the info from the salesmen who work for
>the manufacturers of those weapons.

Uh huh.

And "every good spy has a green badge".  [or a red badge for LANL]

You still don't publish the data.

Since everyone else has the fab data for the '486, Blair, could you please
publish it?  Thanks.
--
Andrew Scott Beals
abeals@autodesk.com

waters@nddsun1.sps.mot.com (Mike Waters) (02/05/91)

In article <1172.27A97FF9@w8grt.fidonet.org> jim.grubs@w8grt.fidonet.org (Jim Grubs) writes:
> > From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
> > In article <1321@catnip.berkeley.ca.us> bandy@catnip.berkeley.ca.us (Gun
> > Control is Hitting Your Target) writes:
> > >So, Henry, how do you know that Saddam already knows this?
> > Because it's public information.
>You're willing to endanger lives just to prove you have a right to shoot your
>mouth off anytime you choose? Being 'right' about abstract consitutional
>principles is not worth somebody's life. It would be different if you were
>gambling only YOUR life. You're playing games with someone else's life.

I would be fascinated to know how information that has been published in
everything from IEEE Spectrum to Sailing magazine could "endanger
lives"?

BTW those "abstract constitutional principles" have been responsible for
a lot more good men dying than the entire allied casualties so far in
this war! Maybe YOU don't think the U.S. Constitiution is anything more
than a some abstract ideal, but some of us disagree.

I would also draw your attention to the fact that Henry Spencer is in
Canada which last time I checked was an independant country.

If guns are banned how will Conservatives win arguments?

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (02/07/91)

Uh, I think what was objected to in the orignal posting was not
discussing how GPS works and how accurate it is, but the request
for how to get around limitations the military imposes for
security purposes.

That hasn't been discussed in IEEE journals and Sailing, has it?

					Tim Smith

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (02/08/91)

In article <39009@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>Uh, I think what was objected to in the orignal posting was not
>discussing how GPS works and how accurate it is, but the request
>for how to get around limitations the military imposes for
>security purposes.

>That hasn't been discussed in IEEE journals and Sailing, has it?

Sure it has... Well, at least in Aviation Week.  The US Govt has been
advertising GPS as good for civil use, then reserving the right to degrade
the signal.  The recommended way (as seen by civil airlines) to improve
accuracy is to use GLONASS, the Russian system, which the Russians promised
not to degrade. [let's see how effective Mr. Grubs' rantings are at keeping
GLONASS secret from the Iraqis...]

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

In article <39009@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>Uh, I think what was objected to in the orignal posting was not
>discussing how GPS works and how accurate it is, but the request
>for how to get around limitations the military imposes for
>security purposes.
>
>That hasn't been discussed in IEEE journals and Sailing, has it?

Sure it has.  Maybe not in sailing, but in the IEEE journals and Aviation
Week.  There are plenty of potential Navstar users, notably the aviation
people, who badly need high accuracy and don't like DoD being able to
degrade their navigation aids without warning.  Those people have been
very interested in ways around the problem, and much has been published
on the subject.
--

waters@nddsun1.sps.mot.com (Mike Waters) (02/09/91)

In article <39009@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>Uh, I think what was objected to in the orignal posting was not
>discussing how GPS works and how accurate it is, but the request
>for how to get around limitations the military imposes for
>security purposes.
>
>That hasn't been discussed in IEEE journals and Sailing, has it?

Interestingly enough it HAS been!

(I pick my examples carefully you know - GOTCHA! :-) )

IEEE Spectrum about 18 months ago
featured a debate about the wisdom of ncrypting parts of the
information. THey drew analogies to WW II navigation aids which were
generally left in place because their removal caused more problems to
our side than aid to the enemy (we used them a LOT more :-) )

THey also described several techniques for defeating the encryption
indirectly. (I.e. not by breaking the code).

THe closing comment was an about a reporter who asked a Soviet Military
Attache about the possibillity of their using GPS to target missiles.
The response was essentially "You must be joking. THats the dumbest
thing we could ever do!".

All with far more circulation than Usenet!

Sailing magazine had a writeup on some methods to use GPS in a harbour
provided you has a reference point. THe "fuzzing" only destroys ABSOLUTE
accuracy, not relative accuracy according to their article.

73  Mike   AA4MW

--
       *Mike Waters    AA4MW/7  waters@dover.sps.mot.com *

 ** If guns are outlawed, how will conservatives win arguments? **