[sci.electronics] How do I choose a capacitor type ?

abs@ukc.ac.uk (A.B.Smith) (02/05/91)

Hi,

I am currently building a number of audio circuits (pre-amps, effect
boxes, that sort of thing) and the circuits I have don't specify the
construction material of the capacitor.

Could someone give me a few rules on what sort of capacitor I should
select (ie. when should I use Ceramic, Mylar, Polyester, etc). I have a
few basic books on electronic construction but they omit this sort of
information. Could I use the same type throughout the circuit (except
for the electrolytics) ? And can I use tantalum beads capacitors instead
of electrolytics ?

Many thanks,

Andrew.

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (02/06/91)

In article <64@owl.ukc.ac.uk> abs@ukc.ac.uk (A.B.Smith) writes:
>I am currently building a number of audio circuits (pre-amps, effect
>boxes, that sort of thing) and the circuits I have don't specify the
>construction material of the capacitor.

Four coupling capacitors in audio circuits (DC blocking caps), use polyester
or polypropylene caps.  They'll be a bit hard to find in large values, but
the audio mail order places carry them and you'll be shocked at the improvement
in sound over cheap electrolytics.  For power supply caps, use good quality
electrolytics.  The high frequency types designed for switching supplies are
good; they have low ESR which permits them to deliver a lot of current fast
on demand, which is important for even small signal audio stuff.  You'll find
capacitors contribute a lot to the sound quality (and resistors contribute a
lot to the noise figure).
--scott

gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.185727.14775@news.larc.nasa.gov> kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
 In article <64@owl.ukc.ac.uk> abs@ukc.ac.uk (A.B.Smith) writes:
 >I am currently building a number of audio circuits (pre-amps, effect
 >boxes, that sort of thing) and the circuits I have don't specify the
 >construction material of the capacitor.

- For coupling capacitors in audio circuits (DC blocking caps), use polyester
- or polypropylene caps.

The `true believers' in audio wonderfulness would never use a polyester cap
anywhere.  In fact, they do have a large `dissipation factor' and apparently
are somewhat nonlinear, as are `high-K' ceramics (with Z5U or Y5V tempco
markings).

I would recommend polystyrene or polypropylene film caps for wonderful coupling
caps, or low-K (NPO) ceramic or mica caps for small values ( < 100 pF).
They will be much larger physically and cost much more than the polyester caps.

I don't think this distinction applies for bypass (shunting unwanted signals to
ground).  I'd use polyester for bypass type applications.  A common trick is
to bypass an electrolytic with a film capacitor of 1-10% the electrolytic's
value to achieve good high frequency performance for bypass applications.
Cost & size vs. religion is the tradeoff in this case.
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.

In article <4193@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gsteckel@east.sun.com (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) writes:
I wrote:
>> For coupling capacitors in audio circuits (DC blocking caps), use polyester
>> or polypropylene caps.
>
>The `true believers' in audio wonderfulness would never use a polyester cap
>anywhere.  In fact, they do have a large `dissipation factor' and apparently
>are somewhat nonlinear, as are `high-K' ceramics (with Z5U or Y5V tempco
>markings).
>I would recommend polystyrene or polypropylene film caps for wonderful coupling
>caps, or low-K (NPO) ceramic or mica caps for small values ( < 100 pF).
>They will be much larger physically and cost much more than the polyester caps.

That's right.  Make sure you buy only Wondercaps or some expensive foreign
brand.  Only polypropylene will do, and the harder they are to get, the better
they are.

Anyway, polyesters are usually quite fine capacitors for coupling, although
at high voltages (in in working with tube gear), the polypropylenes have a
good upper hand.  Ceramics are bad news.  Electrolytics
in the audio path are bad news.

Please return the rest of this discussion to rec.audio.high-end
--scott

francis@cs.ua.oz.au (Francis Vaughan) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.211414.16831@news.larc.nasa.gov>,
kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
|> In article <4193@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gsteckel@east.sun.com (Geoff
Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) writes:

|> >The `true believers' in audio wonderfulness would never use a polyester cap
|> >anywhere.  In fact, they do have a large `dissipation factor' and
apparently
|> >are somewhat nonlinear, as are `high-K' ceramics (with Z5U or Y5V tempco
|> >markings).
|> >I would recommend polystyrene or polypropylene film caps for
wonderful coupling
|> >caps, or low-K (NPO) ceramic or mica caps for small values ( < 100 pF).
|> >They will be much larger physically and cost much more than the
polyester caps.

|> That's right.  Make sure you buy only Wondercaps or some expensive foreign
|> brand.  Only polypropylene will do, and the harder they are to get,
the better
|> they are.
|>
|> Anyway, polyesters are usually quite fine capacitors for coupling, although
|> at high voltages (in in working with tube gear), the polypropylenes have a
|> good upper hand.  Ceramics are bad news.  Electrolytics
|> in the audio path are bad news.

There is a fairly well established precedence rule in selection of capacitors.
This is based on minimising a number of factors. And is very much horses for
courses. There are quite well established standards for defining these
charateristics (including some MIL Spec ones).

You can actaully measure the distortion produced by a capacitor in  a simple
test rig. With some dieletrics the results are not good. (> 1%). The
distortion
is often related to the input voltage (low volts, worse distortion) and shows
some correlation with DA.

All capacitors have a self resonant frequency, and capacitance tends to drop
around here. Many designs seek to get this frequency as high as possible by
lowering the inductance with suitable mechanical design.

For audio work the critical parameters are distortion and dielectric
absorbtion (DA).

The best capacitors are PTFE dielectric. These are almost unobtainable in
anything but very small values. The dieletric film is quite hard to make
(it is hard to make without imperfections). PTFE has almost vanishing DA.

The next favorite dieletric is Polystyrene. These are available in values
up to the low nF without much trouble. DA is almost as good as PTFE. I have
had no problems in replacing ceramic caps in audio circuits with styrocaps
even though I was a little worried about stability in feedback loops.

The next dielectric down is Polypropylene. Again nearly as good as
Polystyrene. Available is quite large vaules (10mF) but big and not cheap.
Most people I know use Roedenstein (SP?) caps here, Wondercaps are many
times the price for no proven electrical advantage. Polyprops are available
in 1% tolerances and are always the first choice for active cross overs and
RIAA networks. They typicly have very good thermal charateristics too.
(Low delta-C for delta-T)

group. Available in reasonable values, they are about 1/2 to 1/3 the size
of Polypropylene for the same value and rating. They exhibit noticable greater
DA than the others but are still quite good.

Then comes Polyester. These capacitors exhibit something like 4 times the DA
of the previous group. They are at least cheaper. Thermal charateristics are
nothing wonderfull and they are mostly 10% or worse tolerances.

Bad capacitors are high  K ceramics (many thousands or time worse DA and
distortion) electrolytics, and really bad are tantalums. Low K (NPO) ceramics
are better but still much worse than any of the plastics. However sometimes
there is no option if you need to tame instability. Tantalums really have no
place anywhere near an audio signal. Leave them in power supply
bypassing where
they are really good. There are a few intersesting ways to improve
electrolytics
(and unfortunatly an electro is often the only way to get the Farads).
The higher the voltage rating the better is one theory. Bypassing with
plastics
is a must. Bipolar (back to back electros) seem to be a bit better, and
if they
are biased with something approaching their working voltage things improve as
well. (Hard to do, often the whole purpose is to get rid of a voltage offset,
and the bias voltage must be very clean, or you ruin everything). Impeadances
can be hard to work out too.

						Francis Vaughan

spp@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope) (02/07/91)

In article <64@owl.ukc.ac.uk> abs@ukc.ac.uk (A.B.Smith) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I am currently building a number of audio circuits (pre-amps, effect
>boxes, that sort of thing) and the circuits I have don't specify the
>construction material of the capacitor.
>
>Could someone give me a few rules on what sort of capacitor I should
>select (ie. when should I use Ceramic, Mylar, Polyester, etc).

A few simple rules for audio circuits:

(1) Always use an aluminum electrolytic as opposed to a tantalum
in an audio signal path (this applies not only to coupling caps,
but emitter bypass caps etc.).

(2) Polypropylene or polystyrene are good choices for equalizers
and such where some precision is needed.

(3) Don't use a capacitor with high hysteresis (such as a ceramic)
as a sampling cap in a sample/hold circuit.

/steve

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (02/07/91)

In article <10836@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> spp@zabriskie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Steve Pope) writes:
>A few simple rules for audio circuits:
>
>(1) Always use an aluminum electrolytic as opposed to a tantalum
>in an audio signal path (this applies not only to coupling caps,
>but emitter bypass caps etc.).

NO NO NO!  Aluminum electrolytics are better than the tantalums, but they
are still pretty bad.  Use a plastic film capacitor (polypropylene is
better, but polyester is okay).

>(2) Polypropylene or polystyrene are good choices for equalizers
>and such where some precision is needed.

What does precision have to do with anything.  Most of these caps are 5%.
(Electrolytics have very poor tolerances, usually -10%, +50%, which is
not the only reason to avoid them, but a good one).  You can get high precision
plastic film caps for eq circuits, but most plastic film caps aren't very
high precision at all.

>(3) Don't use a capacitor with high hysteresis (such as a ceramic)
>as a sampling cap in a sample/hold circuit.

Don't use it for anything.  Throw it away.
--scott

spp@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.145212.24656@news.larc.nasa.gov> kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
>In article <10836@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> I wrote:
>>A few simple rules for audio circuits:
>>
>>(1) Always use an aluminum electrolytic as opposed to a tantalum
>>in an audio signal path (this applies not only to coupling caps,
>>but emitter bypass caps etc.).
>
>NO NO NO!  Aluminum electrolytics are better than the tantalums, but they
>are still pretty bad.  Use a plastic film capacitor (polypropylene is
>better, but polyester is okay).

Mea culpa.  I intended to say, IF the value needed is so large
than an elecrolytic is the only choice, always use aluminum, never
tantulum.  Otherwise, don't use an electrolytic at all!

>>(2) Polypropylene or polystyrene are good choices for equalizers
>>and such where some precision is needed.
>
>What does precision have to do with anything.  Most of these caps are 5%.
>(Electrolytics have very poor tolerances, usually -10%, +50%, which is
>not the only reason to avoid them, but a good one).  You can get high precision
>plastic film caps for eq circuits, but most plastic film caps aren't very
>high precision at all.

Some equalizers and filters call for precision values.  Seimens
makes some nice 2% polypropylenes that are close to ideal.
I've also seen people use dipped mica's which come n precise values
but I'm not sure audio purists would agree with this.

>--scott

steve

dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (David Morning) (02/08/91)

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:

]In article <10836@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> spp@zabriskie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Steve Pope) writes:
]>A few simple rules for audio circuits:
]>
]>(1) Always use an aluminum electrolytic as opposed to a tantalum
]>in an audio signal path (this applies not only to coupling caps,
]>but emitter bypass caps etc.).

]NO NO NO!  Aluminum electrolytics are better than the tantalums, but they
]are still pretty bad.  Use a plastic film capacitor (polypropylene is
]better, but polyester is okay).

Where can I get 100uF emitter bypass or 10uF coupling polypropylene or
polyester caps?

Dave

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (02/09/91)

In article <7709@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (David Morning) writes:
>Where can I get 100uF emitter bypass or 10uF coupling polypropylene or
>polyester caps?

In the U.S., Madisound carries good 10 uF polypropylene, and DigiKey carries
10 uF polyesters from Panasonic that I use.  If you need 100 uF emitter
coupling caps for an audio circuit you have a different problem.
--scott