[sci.electronics] Wire-wrap tools

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (02/02/91)

I've done some work with my PS/2 prototype cards but need to do some serious
wire-wrapping.  I've seen tools from $10 to $200.  Some are cheap.  Some look
cheap.  Any suggestions for brand names or features like:

	-point-to-point (daisy chain) wrapping
	-turns index
	-batteries *vs* AC
	-size/cost of bits
	-spool of wire on gun *vs* pre-cut wires

Although I don't want to waste money, I know all too well that you have to
get the right tool for the right job.

Email to jgb@prism.gatech.EDU and I'l post a summary if it warrants. Thanks!
--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu

berger@atropa (Dire Wolf) (02/08/91)

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:

>I've done some work with my PS/2 prototype cards but need to do some serious
>wire-wrapping.  I've seen tools from $10 to $200.  Some are cheap.  Some look
>cheap.  Any suggestions for brand names or features like:

>	-point-to-point (daisy chain) wrapping
>	-turns index
>	-batteries *vs* AC
>	-size/cost of bits
>	-spool of wire on gun *vs* pre-cut wires

*----
I favor the Gardner-Denver W/W tools (especially over Oki, which also seems
to get repackaged under other brand names).  I recommend a rechargable w/w tool
over A/C powered.  The cord can be a real annoyance, especially when making
corrections to a board that is already in place.

I don't know of any w/w tools that do daisy chain wrapping (except the hard
way of course).  The bits are initially expensive, but you probably don't
need more than one, a bit for 30 gauge modified wrap, and a sleeve.  G-D
has sleeves that work for several bits, so you could get a 26, 28 and 30 g.
bit and just one sleeve.  But really, anything but 30 gauge is pretty rare
these days.

Finally, avoid the spring loaded tools with over-wrap protection (Oki again).
The G-D tools let you "feel" the wrap.  The spring loaded tools actually
take control away, and I don't think the spring does as good a job as my
hand with continuous tactile feedback.

The G-D tools (especially the older gray head models!) seem to go faster
than the Oki and Ungar tools.  I've used them for virtually an entire
day (well, 12 hours at a stretch anyway) without getting tired.

Pre-cut wires have no benefit in my book, and tend to be very expensive.
The cost of 1000 pre-cut wires of any length runs about the same as
1000' of wire wrap wire on a spool.  You get a lot less wire.  You have to
stock a lot of different lengths or you either end up cutting and stripping
yourself anyway or using wire that is too long (which means sloppy routing
on the board, harder to trace or fix later, noise, etc.).  You also lose the
benefit of color coding, unless you can afford to stock a wide variety of
lengths and colors.  I have no trouble with the wires I cut and strip
myself - but be sure to get a good stripper made for the purpose.

--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

jpexg@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) (02/08/91)

I've used the Gardner-Denver tools a lot, and they're good. I wouldn't be too
dogmatic about battery versus plug-in; the tradeoff is a trailing cord versus
a heavy tool (2 D cells in the handle). The AC models are a lot lighter. I
agree that pre-stripped wire ends up being a nuisance more than a benefit.

The Vector "Slit-n-Wrap" tool has some merits but not enough, IMHO, to beat
a more conventional tool. It can do daisy chaining, and it's good for a whole
row of grounds on adjacent pins for example, but the wire it uses has a thick
soft insulation and ends up looking (and being) crowded. It also breaks wires
occasionally and recovering from this is a major pain. To trim off the end of
a run requires reaching down between the pins with clippers or leaving a flying
end, both undesirable results.

John Purbrick
jpexg@ai.mit.edu

lamb@brahms.udel.edu (Richard E Lamb) (02/09/91)

I've used Vector Slit-N-Wrap for years.  You can't beat it with a power wrapper
for micro-processor work.  Daisy channing address and data busses, especially
through memory chip arrays, makes for simple wiring.  I use a manual tool for
"detail" work, tho a power winder would sometimes be nice.  Depends on how
much you are going to do, I suppose.

Lately, we go straight to PCBs.  With all the PCB layout software this has
been fairly easy.  Lots easier than handbuilding from scratch, usually.

I got tired of building the same old IBM PC slot circuitry alla time,
and wirewrapped a kinda snazzy IO card that has a bus extension port similar
to the old Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III and 4 computers (data bus, control
signals, and address bus).  Since I/O space is a bit crowded on most XT/AT
type machines, I added a register to expand the IBM PROTOTYPING CARD address
range to 12 bits (it's kinda like playing virtual memory but with I/O ports).

To try a new circuit now, I only build the "gadget" portion and graft it to
the computer with a fifty pin ribbon cable.  Easier and cheaper.

Happy trails