[sci.electronics] Circuits and UHV

atchan@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Anthony C.T. Chan) (02/06/91)

Dear reader,

Does anyone have tips on building a UHV-compatible electronic circuits?

I am currently modifying a Scanning Tunneling Microscope for operation in the
UHV and need to put the STM preamplifier in the UHV in order to minimize the
noise.

I understand that heat dissipation and outgassing from components could be
a major problem.

--
Anthony Chan :: atchan@rpi.edu :: anthony_chan@rpitsmts.bitnet
Surface Physics Group, Physics Department, RPI, Troy, NY

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (02/06/91)

In article <'-^&7$|@rpi.edu> atchan@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Anthony C.T. Chan) writes:

>Does anyone have tips on building a UHV-compatible electronic circuits?

>I am currently modifying a Scanning Tunneling Microscope for operation in the
>UHV and need to put the STM preamplifier in the UHV in order to minimize the
>noise.

>I understand that heat dissipation and outgassing from components could be
>a major problem.

	UHV, for the uninitiated, is ultra-high vacuum (generally
10^-10 torr, sometimes lower).
	While I cannot say for certain, I suspect that many transistor
and some IC packages will be suitable at high vacuum; remember, the
metal-package transistors we use today are built with glass/metal
seals that were originally engineered for vacuum tubes.  If the
transistor leads are magnetic (most are), the lead material is likely
Invar (and the package will be welded steel, as likely as not).
Glass capacitors and glazed (or wire) resistors would outgas for
a while but probably stabilize.  Ceramic circuit board material
is available for hybrids, certainly some compositions will
be vacuum compatible.
	Your main problem is likely to be characterizing the various
packages available to you; there is really no substitute to calling
up the manufacturer's reps and asking for detailed material/package
information.
	A more expensive alternative would be to weld a stainless steel
box over the circuit, and use UHV ceramic/metal feedthroughs to
get the signals and power in, making a sealed pod for the electronics
that fits inside your vacuum vessel.  I wouldn't recommend baking
it TOO hot, so you might have a long wait before the vacuum
gets really hard.

	Hope this helps.

	John Whitmore

phoenix.UUCP (Muyu Guo,,,) (02/06/91)

 In article <'-^&7$|@rpi.edu> atchan@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Anthony C.T. Chan) writes:

>Does anyone have tips on building a UHV-compatible electronic circuits?

>I am currently modifying a Scanning Tunneling Microscope for operation in the
>UHV and need to put the STM preamplifier in the UHV in order to minimize the
>noise.

>I understand that heat dissipation and outgassing from components could be
>a major problem.

We have a STM with preamp sitting OUTSIDE of the chamber, preamp itself
being enclosed in a Aluminum box to minimize the noise. There is a feedthrough
to connect the preamp to the electrodes of the scanner. I don't know how much
the noise can be further reduced to some level if the preamp is inside UHV
chamber.

--
Muyu Guo
Princeton University

jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) (02/11/91)

In article <'-^&7$|@rpi.edu>, atchan@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Anthony C.T. Chan)
writes...
>Does anyone have tips on building a UHV-compatible electronic circuits?
Tried E-mail but it bounced...

You might want to get in touch with some synchrotron-radiation people.  In
your general area, the Cornell High-Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS) and
the National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS) at Brookhaven come to mind.
I'll even venture that E-mail to jacobsen@bnl.gov (Chris Jacobsen) will
get you set on the right track.  Tell him I sent you so he'll know who to
yell at. :)

Offhand, I can't think of anybody who has actually stuck their circuits
right in the UHV, but doubtless someone has...certainly you should be able
to get help with the general topics of bakeout, feed-throughs, etc.

Good luck,
--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"