[sci.electronics] Do you know the uP 8044 ABM ?

dieljean@oregon.uoregon.edu (02/09/91)

Hello,

	I'm not familiar with component distribution in the U.S and a friend
of mine who is a HAM Radio (FE1MKE) is looking for a US part that he cannot
find there.

	Its an IC used for an electronic keyer, the reference is uP 8044 ABM
(Curtiss Keyer).

	Could someone tell me where to order it here on the west coast ?

	Thanks in advance,

				DIEL Jean-Philippe

DIEL Jean-Philippe                'DIELJEAN@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU'
1360 Alder St rm #20              'DIELJEAN@OREGON'
EUGENE, OR 97401
                                   ph: (503) 687.58.63
                                   (answering machine available)

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (02/11/91)

The 8044 is a ROM-based 8-bit microcontroller based on the 8051.
Unless you have the same ROM code, a replacement part probably won't
work.  (The only way it would work is if the keyer design disables
the internal ROM, but if that were the case they probably would
have used the ROMless version of the 8044, the 8344.)

dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (02/12/91)

In article <39105@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>The 8044 is a ROM-based 8-bit microcontroller based on the 8051.
>Unless you have the same ROM code, a replacement part probably won't
>work.  (The only way it would work is if the keyer design disables
>the internal ROM, but if that were the case they probably would
>have used the ROMless version of the 8044, the 8344.)

  I believe the 8044ABM under discussion is NOT a microcontroller; I'm
fairly certain is a keyer chip from Curtis Micro Devices. It has been
around, is some form or another, since well before the 8051 was around.
The 8044ABM is a custom built, CMOS keyer. I think it is MSI, not LSI, too.
Curtis sells the chips directly, look in the ham rags (QST, 73) for their
address.

--
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
 * (213) 337-5136 		| mine and do not necessarily	*