[sci.electronics] WANTED FM stereo transmitter

stevens@mpx1.lampf.lanl.gov (Stevens, Thaddeus C.) (01/31/91)

Hello,
I'm looking for a used FM stereo transmitter with a power output in the
1 to 10 watt range for the 88 to 108 Mhz band.  Suggestions ?
(...and yes I am well aware of all the regulations, etc.)

Thanks,
Thad

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (02/01/91)

In article <13179@lanl.gov> stevens@mpx1.lampf.lanl.gov writes:
>Hello,
>I'm looking for a used FM stereo transmitter with a power output in the
>1 to 10 watt range for the 88 to 108 Mhz band.  Suggestions ?
>(...and yes I am well aware of all the regulations, etc.)

If you need a unit which is type accepted for broadcast use, put an ad in
Radio World magazine and ask around for used FM exciters.  There are a lot
of old tube-type exciters that can be picked up for $200-$500 or so, and
most of them will put a good 10W into a 50-ohm load.  If you don't need
type acceptance, than your best bet is to build one using the BA1404 chip.
--scott

pozar@kumr.UUCP (Tim Pozar) (02/12/91)

In article <13179@lanl.gov> stevens@mpx1.lampf.lanl.gov writes:
>Hello,
>I'm looking for a used FM stereo transmitter with a power output in the
>1 to 10 watt range for the 88 to 108 Mhz band.  Suggestions ?
>(...and yes I am well aware of all the regulations, etc.)

   Sounds as if you just want to get an exciter.  They can be bought
used for anywhere between 200 and 4000 in any clasiffied section
of mags like Radio World or broadcast equipment suppliers like
Harris/Allied.

                                  Tim

--
  uunet!hoptoad!kumr!pozar Fido: 1:125/555 PaBell: (415) 788-3904
    USNail:  KKSF-FM / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108