[sci.electronics] Introduction to capacitors

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb10.185700.25810@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:

 >AN INTRODUCTION TO CAPACITORS
 >
 >by David Johnson, Los Banos, CA.
 >
 >(This article originally appeared in the Canadian LF/VLF newsletter
 >_Northern Observer_ [issue #23, mid-December 1990].  It is posted here
 >by permission of the author.)
 >
 >[text deleted]
 >
 >ALUMINUM ELECTROLYTICS pack a lot of capacitance into a relatively
 >small volume, and are cheap.  They are used primarily for power-supply
 >filtering, low-frequency AC coupling, and DC blocking.  In general
 >they are not suitable for other applications because they have very
 >sloppy tolerances,...

I'm always leery of technical articles that use loaded or inflamatory words
such as "sloppy" (and "wobbly" later on) to describe what is a normal and
manufactured-to tolerance for an engineered part.  It is the design
engineer's job to apply the part properly.  All capacitor manufacturers
supply data sheets upon request.

Rich