[sci.electronics] light switches in germany

hziemann@daisy.waterloo.edu (Hans Ziemann) (02/13/91)

I am new to this newsgroup, and have not had time to do any
reading.  I have a simple question that a few people may be
able to help me with, if you are in the right geography.

I am taking a power control course right now, and we got to
discussing light switches.  A few years ago, when I was in
Germany, studying at the Technische Universitaet Braunschweig,
I noticed that they have light switches that turn
them selves off after a short time.

These were used in hallways, garages, and the like.  We have
tried our darndest to try and propose a simple way of making
this work, but have failed miserably.  I would like to make
one of these as a course project.

Could someone in Germany or otherwise, who knows how these
switches work, send me a description or even a schematic
(I understand both the north american convention and the
european convention -- just tell me which one it is).

Or, if you know of someone who knows how this works, could you
pass allong this request?

Please send it to me directly, as I have trouble keeping up with
newsgroups.  If you too are interested in this, send me mail,
and I will let you know once I find out.

Please send it to me at

	hziemann@daisy.waterloo.edu
	hziemann@daisy.uwaterloo.ca
	or equivalent...

I have canabalized dimmer switches already and think the
process is somewhat similar.  But, then again...

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks a bunch.

Hans Ziemann
University of Waterloo
Electrical Engineering

hziemann@daisy.waterloo.edu (Hans Ziemann) (02/13/91)

I should add, that a bimetal bar is quite unlikely, in that
the switch can be repeatedly activated in close succession,
and there are no noticable shorted time periods.

I agree that it is a simple solution, but based on thermodynamics
and the observed behaviour, I do not think that a bimetal bar
could cool that quickly.

I hope that there is another solution.

Hans

agn@bovic.Eng.Sun.COM (Andreas G. Nowatzyk) (02/13/91)

Said switches were usually based on a pneumatic monoflop in a remote
wiring closet. The relay coil depresses an air-piston with a valve to
let the air rush out and an adjustable leak that determines the time delay
until the contacts open. It is retriggerable: the delay starts from the
moment you release the momentary light switch. All switches are wired
in parallel and are frequently illuminated with a neon light that draws
a small current through the relay.

Norbert.Zacharias@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Norbert Zacharias) (02/13/91)

hziemann@daisy.waterloo.edu (Hans Ziemann) writes:

>I noticed that they have light switches that turn
>them selves off after a short time.

Hi Hans
It works very simply.  U have some of paralell wired switches s1 to sn.
			      With that u trigger the relay rel. This relay
		   /          is a special one. It opens after a elected
	*---------/  0------* time. You can buy it in elektricstores
	|          s1       |
	|          /        |          #######
	*---------/  0------*          # rel #
	|          s2       *----------#######--------------|
	|          /        |             #                 |
	*---------/  0------*             #                 |
	|          s3       |            /        % %       |
	*---------/  0------*       |             % %       |
	|         sn                |                       |--0
	|                           |                           220 V AC

hope this help
Norbert
Norbert Zacharias          Norbert.Zacharias@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
FB Physik                                               148964@DOLUNI1.bitnet
Carl-von-Ossietzky-Universitaet
Tel. 0049-441-7983527
 Was Du nicht willst das man Dir tu, das will auch nicht was willst denn Du?
							   Heinz Erhard