[sci.electronics] timer

terryb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) (02/11/91)

levi@bluemoon.uucp (Brandon Moore) writes:

>    Could anyone suggest a _cheep_ timer circuit for me?  By cheep I mean,
> an inexpensive, one-use only design, using cheep parts and no IC's, but
> still being fairly dependable.   Technicly, I need a timer which gives a
> delay after a mechinism is activated (pushed, turned, etc.) before
> discharging a current through another circuit attached by two leds.
>
> Levi

Of course, the obvious choice is a 555 timer chip, but you said no ICs.
Otherwise an old favorite is an RC circuit charging to a unijunction
transistor's standoff voltage which in turn fires an SCR to provide
latching action.

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (02/12/91)

levi@bluemoon.uucp (Brandon Moore) writes:

>    Could anyone suggest a _cheep_ timer circuit for me?  By cheep I mean,
> an inexpensive, one-use only design, using cheep parts and no IC's, but
> still being fairly dependable.   Technicly, I need a timer which gives a
> delay after a mechinism is activated (pushed, turned, etc.) before
> discharging a current through another circuit attached by two leds.
>
> Levi

Cheap, one-use only, dependable delayed current discharge...

    ...Sounds like a bomb timer...

          ...Ever heard of GPS, Brandon?

:-)

cas@mtcchi.uucp (2668-Charles A Sherwood(Z550900)0000) (02/12/91)

In article <Z276w2w163w@bluemoon.uucp> levi@bluemoon.uucp (Brandon Moore) writes:

>   Could anyone suggest a _cheep_ timer circuit for me?  By cheep I mean,
>an inexpensive, one-use only design, using cheep parts and no IC's, but
>still being fairly dependable.   Technicly, I need a timer which gives a
>delay after a mechinism is activated (pushed, turned, etc.) before
>discharging a current through another circuit attached by two leds.
>
>Levi

Sounds pretty suspicious to me. Lets see ...
   what is only used once,   that should be cheap, and dependable
   that discharges a current to an external device via two wires?????

   In this day of terrorism, I would be very reluctant to provide
   an answer to this question!!!!!!!!

--
	Chuck Sherwood          cas@mtc.com  	           708-305-3470
	Memorex Telex Corporation                     Indian Hill Court

terryb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) (02/13/91)

cas@mtcchi.uucp (2668-Charles A Sherwood(Z550900)0000) writes:
> Sounds pretty suspicious to me. Lets see ...
>    what is only used once,   that should be cheap, and dependable
>    that discharges a current to an external device via two wires?????
>
>    In this day of terrorism, I would be very reluctant to provide
>    an answer to this question!!!!!!!!

Why would a terrorist be reluctant to use an IC?  For that matter,
why is the original poster reluctant to use an IC?

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (02/14/91)

terryb writes:
====
Why would a terrorist be reluctant to use an IC?  For that matter,
why is the original poster reluctant to use an IC?
====

Electromagnetic Pulse?     :-)

(I know, I know, transistors are susceptible too...)

Look, ya takes a cheep pocket watch, and ya drills a little hole in the face.
Den ya sticks a pointed stick in dere and scrapes a bit a paint offa the
minute hand.  Den ya glues a wire in da hole, and sticks a wire on da case.
Den ya connects one wire to da battery, and one wire to de igniter...

(Oh no! Am I giving away State Secrets?   Treason!)

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (02/14/91)

levi@bluemoon.uucp (Brandon Moore) writes:

>    Could anyone suggest a _cheep_ timer circuit for me?  By cheep I mean,
> an inexpensive, one-use only design, using cheep parts and no IC's, but
> still being fairly dependable.   Technicly, I need a timer which gives a
> delay after a mechinism is activated (pushed, turned, etc.) before
> discharging a current through another circuit attached by two leds.
>
> Levi

     "One use?"  Is this guy building bombs, or what?

						John Nagle