[sci.electronics] Liquid Crystal Terminals, TVs and Oscilloscopes

ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (02/14/91)

I am concerned about the effects of electromagnetic radiation from
terminals. I own an old vt52 terminal, an old black and white tv
and an old EICO oscilloscope. I don't own a computer and instead use
the vt52 to log in to mainframes via a modem.

I would like to know about the cost of liquid crystal display terminals
that I could use to replace my vt52, liquid crystal televisions to
replace my old black and white tv set and liquid crystal oscilloscopes
to replace my old EICO oscilloscope which isn't much good anyway.

This is essentiall a hypothetical question since I probably won't be
able to afford whatever is available. But I would still like to know.

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (02/14/91)

(1) Keep the old Eico oscilloscope. It has neither a deflection yoke nor
a flyback transformer and therefore doesn't have the main sources of ELF
emissions.  I'd be surprised if it put out any detectable emissions at all.

(2) I'm wary of LCD screens because of the loss of readability.
I *know* that eyestrain is bad for me. I *don't* know if the oscillating
magnetic field from a conventional terminal will do me any harm.

(3) How close do you sit to your TV when you watch it?

(4) Why are you only concerned about oscilloscopes and TVs and computer
terminals?  What about the 60 Hz magnetic field from all the wiring in your
house?

In sum: Exactly what kind of emission are you trying to get away from,
and why do you think they are harmful, and what is the total amount of
energy involved, and what do you consider to be an acceptably low level?

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (02/14/91)

One other thing: Are you clear on the distinction between a magnetic
field and electromagnetic radiation?  Not the same thing at all,
although TVs emit some of both.

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (02/15/91)

In <1991Feb13.203003.18739@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

>(2) I'm wary of LCD screens because of the loss of readability.
>I *know* that eyestrain is bad for me. I *don't* know if the oscillating
>magnetic field from a conventional terminal will do me any harm.

You mean that CRT screens are easy to read without eyestrain? Now that is hard
to believe. A non-backlit LCD may lack contrast but at least the surface of
the darkened pixels is sharply defined and relaxing to focus on (partially due
to reduced flicker). All CRT displays that I have seen suffer from four main
problems which make them visually tiring to use:
1) flickering.
2) ion emission.
3) poorly delineated pixel dots (fuzzy edges and depth of surface. It is
   easier to focus on an opaque surface than on a luminating phosphor).
4) CRT focussing circuitry can at best only approximate a true focus over
   the whole of the screen area.
Some of the new paper-white low-emission hi-rez CRTs that are becoming
available are a minor improvement to frying one's brains on older types,
but active-matrix LCD screens of reasonable size and response time should
be getting cheaper. It won't be so long until people will be saying
"CRT, what's that?"
--
Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is