[sci.electronics] Wanted: Osborne Executive Power Supply

jeff@seas.gwu.edu (Jeff Schilling) (02/14/91)

Howdy,

I looking for a replacement power supply for an Osborne Executive.
It was apparently made by Astec,circa 1982.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

-Jeff
| Jeff Schilling            School of Engineering Computing Facility        |
| Internet: jeff@seas.gwu.edu    George Washington University               |
| UUCP: ...!uunet!gwusun!jeff         Washington, DC  20009	            |
| (202) 994-6853                                                            |
| System Programmer 				 		            |

abeals@autodesk.com (Visualize Whirled Peas) (02/15/91)

jeff@seas.gwu.edu (Jeff Schilling) writes:

>Howdy,

>I looking for a replacement power supply for an Osborne Executive.
>It was apparently made by Astec,circa 1982.

>Any pointers would be appreciated.

I bought one [I'm using it] in '87 at Halted Specialties in Mountain
VIew California.  THey've moved to Santa Clara [or Sunnyvale] since
then.  They may have them.  I suggest you replace it with a more robust
power supply as those old Astec supplies tend to go after a year of
service.  Sigh.

Yet another BAD ENGINEERING DECISION by the PINHEADS AT OSBORNE!

Ask me sometime to tell you about the two swapped lines in the EPROM
that caused the screen code to work improperly.

Then there's the fact that they used a 1791 [SINGLE DENSITY] in a computer
that was probably designed in 1980.  The 1793 had been in commercial use
since '78 at least.  [Tarbell disk controller]

90k on a disk?  Yeah, right.  Pinheads.

Then there was the "virtual screen" idea.

>Thanx in advance.

You're welcome.  You could also try "Weird Stuff [Warehouse]" in Milpitas.
Possibly known as "The Computer Surplus Store".  If they don't have it, you
might try "Mike Quinn Electronics" in Oakland.

[Everything mentioned in this article is here in the sf bay area of
california.]

Seriously: I strongly recommend that you replace that broken piece of
Astec shit with a real power supply.

--
Andrew Scott Beals
abeals@autodesk.com