[sci.electronics] Prototyping with surface-mount IC's

rjk@sequent.com (Robert Kelley) (02/16/91)

Well, I've got this nice 68340FE16 sample in a ceramic surface mount
package with 144 leads on 0.050 centers.  I want to experiment with it.
What viable approaches exist for prototyping and experimentation, as
opposed to production, with chips in packages like this?  Do I have to
prepare a surface-mount PC board for it?

Robert Kelley
rjk@sequent.com

rustyh@epsl.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (02/16/91)

In article <53294@sequent.UUCP> rjk@sequent.com (Robert Kelley) writes:
>Well, I've got this nice 68340FE16 sample in a ceramic surface mount
>package with 144 leads on 0.050 centers.  I want to experiment with it.
>What viable approaches exist for prototyping and experimentation, as
>opposed to production, with chips in packages like this?  Do I have to
>prepare a surface-mount PC board for it?

Yes I also got a sample and wondered the same thing!  I think Emulation
Technology (ET) make adaptors to wirewrap etc but I can't find the
catalogue at the moment.

Looks like a nice chip though!!