[sci.electronics] Programming the 5380

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (02/17/91)

Is it possible to program the serial port controller on the
Macintosh (a Zilog 5380) to talk to the high-speed
'Serial Peripheral Interface' (SPI, a synchronous master/slave protocol)
on a Motorola 6811?  Or to any other equivalent microcontroller
serial port?  (Asynch. operations with start/stop synch etc. are
too slow (125 kBaud max on the 6811))

Alternatively, does anyone know of a different microcontroller chip with
a faster serial port and A/D converters?

Thanks in advance.

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

brian@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Brian Cuthie) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb16.180423.13035@nntp-server.caltech.edu> palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
>Is it possible to program the serial port controller on the
>Macintosh (a Zilog 5380) to talk to the high-speed

The 8530 is the NCR SCSI chip

>'Serial Peripheral Interface' (SPI, a synchronous master/slave protocol)
>on a Motorola 6811?  Or to any other equivalent microcontroller
>serial port?  (Asynch. operations with start/stop synch etc. are
>too slow (125 kBaud max on the 6811))

>		David Palmer
>		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

I know from recent calls to apple for similar information, and the fact that
I have an FX, that this is in all cases *strongly* discouraged, and in
some cases, impossible.  Other than that, it's up to you.

-brian

brian@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Brian Cuthie) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb16.180423.13035@nntp-server.caltech.edu> palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
>Is it possible to program the serial port controller on the
>Macintosh (a Zilog 5380) to talk to the high-speed

WOOPS!!

Boy in my zeal to send my last response, I goofed the numbers.

What I meant to say is that the *5380* is the NCR SCSI controller.

The 8530 (the one I mentioned) is the serial controller.

Sorry,

brian