[sci.electronics] Novice SPICE query

csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk (C.M. Yearsley) (02/13/91)

I've just started using SPICE and would greatly appreciate any
standard subcircuits people could point me to. Specifically I
need to simulate a TL072 op-amp, among other things. I'm using
version 2G5 if that makes any difference.

Chris Yearsley                                JANET:  csx18@uk.ac.keele.seq1
                                              USENET: csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (02/13/91)

Texas Instruments gives out, for free or for a low price, a set
of SPICE models of op-amps including the TL072.

terryb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) (02/13/91)

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

> Texas Instruments gives out, for free or for a low price, a set
> of SPICE models of op-amps including the TL072.

PMI (Precision Monolithics Inc.) does also.  Theirs are free.

teodor@acsu.buffalo.edu (Dan C. Teodor) (02/13/91)

In article <881@keele.keele.ac.uk> you write:
>I've just started using SPICE and would greatly appreciate any
>standard subcircuits people could point me to. Specifically I
>need to simulate a TL072 op-amp, among other things. I'm using
>version 2G5 if that makes any difference.

Here's what I do. It's kind of messy but it works. First label either
the non-inverting or inverting input to the op-amp as ground (ie.
as node 0). Then leave the non-inverting and inverting input terminals
disconnected on one end (ie. connect to the rest of the network nodes
but leave them "dangling" on the other end). Then, model the op-amp
as a voltage dependent voltage source with a potential of the op-amp's
gain times the potential at the non-ground node that was left "dangling".

I normally use a value to somewhere between 10,000 and 50,000 for the
gain.

Of course all of the above assumes an ideal op-amp with no bias current
running through it's inputs. If you want to model a "realer" one see
what the bias current of your op-amp is and calculate it's Thevenin
equivalent resistance across the inputs (ie. R(th)=V/I). This is
usually given in an op-amp's specs and no calculation is necessary.
Once you know this equivalent resistance (usually about 1 Megaohm)
just connect a resistor of this value across those "dangling" terminals
and model as before. It all works out very nicely and it doesn't get
any more accurate than that.

Good luck.
I'll try and give you some samples if this confuses the shit out of you.

Dan C. Teodor

teodor@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu
v083pzgu@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

P.S. I'm sorry to post this in this fashion but the return address on
that message bounced. But this pretty much general info.

kahhan@bnr.ca (02/13/91)

In article <881@keele.keele.ac.uk> csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk (C.M. Yearsley) writes:
>I've just started using SPICE and would greatly appreciate any
>standard subcircuits people could point me to. Specifically I
>need to simulate a TL072 op-amp, among other things. I'm using
>version 2G5 if that makes any difference.
>
>--
Chris,

Check with Texas Instruments. They offer a disk with SPICE models of many OP-AMPs
that they make. Other manufacturers offer free disks as well. Sure beats the
heck out of using PARTS and keying in data from a spec sheet yourself (and it's
probably more accurate).

Larry Kahhan - NRA, NRA-ILA, CSG, GOA, GSSA |   The opinions expressed here do

stigvi@Lise.Unit.NO (Stig Vidar Hovland) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.124247.22948@bnr.ca>, kahhan@bnr.ca writes:
|> Check with Texas Instruments. They offer a disk with SPICE models of many OP-AMPs
|> that they make. Other manufacturers offer free disks as well. Sure beats the
|> heck out of using PARTS and keying in data from a spec sheet yourself (and it's
|> probably more accurate).

If anyone have one of these free disks, can you please email me a copy of it.

Stig Vidar Hovland - stigvi@lise.unit.no

goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (02/20/91)

in article <881@keele.keele.ac.uk>, csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk (C.M. Yearsley) says:

> I've just started using SPICE and would greatly appreciate any
> standard subcircuits people could point me to. Specifically I
> need to simulate a TL072 op-amp, among other things. I'm using
> version 2G5 if that makes any difference.
>
> --
> Chris Yearsley                                JANET:  csx18@uk.ac.keele.seq1
>                                               USENET: csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk

Here is a model from TI. They have a DOS disk full of them, along with a
data book. Get in touch with them at:

Texas Instruments Inc.
Literature Response Center
P.O. Box 809066
Dallas 75380-9066

The name of the box and disk is "Linear Circuits - Operational Amplifier
Macromodels"

* TL072 operational amplifier "macromodel" subcircuit
* created using Parts release 4.01 on 06/16/89 at 13:08
* (REV N/A)
* connections:   non-inverting input
*                | inverting input
*                | | positive power supply
*                | | | negative power supply
*                | | | | output
*                | | | | |
.subckt TL072	 1 2 3 4 5
*
  c1   11 12 3.498E-12
  c2    6  7 15.00E-12
  dc    5 53 dx
  de   54  5 dx
  dlp  90 91 dx
  dln  92 90 dx
  dp    4  3 dx
  egnd 99  0 poly(2) (3,0) (4,0) 0 .5 .5
  fb    7 99 poly(5) vb vc ve vlp vln 0 4.715E6 -5E6 5E6 5E6 -5E6
  ga    6  0 11 12 282.8E-6
  gcm   0  6 10 99 8.942E-9
  iss   3 10 dc 195.0E-6
  hlim 90  0 vlim 1K
  j1   11  2 10 jx
  j2   12  1 10 jx
  r2    6  9 100.0E3
  rd1   4 11 3.536E3
  rd2   4 12 3.536E3
  ro1   8  5 150
  ro2   7 99 150
  rp    3  4 2.143E3
  rss  10 99 1.026E6
  vb    9  0 dc 0
  vc    3 53 dc 2.200
  ve   54  4 dc 2.200
  vlim  7  8 dc 0
  vlp  91  0 dc 25
  vln   0 92 dc 25
.model dx D(Is=800.0E-18)
.model jx PJF(Is=15.00E-12 Beta=270.1E-6 Vto=-1)
.ends