[sci.electronics] Electronic Cat doors revisited

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/19/91)

This thread has been dead for awhile but since no on provided the correct
answer, I thought I would.

An electronic cat door, triggered by a tiny transmitter worn on the cat's
collar, can be bought for about $100 from Cheshire Pet Supply, Inc here
in Atlanta.  This is a wholesale pet supply store and has a number of
branches around town.  The phone for the one near my house is 404 499 0861.

The unit is made in England and is called the StayWell 21.  It is powered
by a wall tumor.  It has a selector that allows one to control which
direction the cat is allowed to go automatically (in but not out, for
example.)

The transmitter that attaches to the cat's collar is about 2/3's the
size of an EPROM and perhaps half as thick.  It appeared to be powered
by a watch battery, though I'm not absolutely sure on that account.
It may be self-powered from the door.

The warranty reply card return address is:

Reilor Inc.
417 Caredean Drive
Babylon Business Campus
Horsham, PA 19044

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

mike@erix.ericsson.se (Mike Williams) (02/20/91)

In article <7045@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) writes:

>The unit is made in England and is called the StayWell 21.  It is powered
>by a wall tumor.  It has a selector that allows one to control which
>direction the cat is allowed to go automatically (in but not out, for
>example.)
>
>The transmitter that attaches to the cat's collar is about 2/3's the
>size of an EPROM and perhaps half as thick.  It appeared to be powered
>by a watch battery, though I'm not absolutely sure on that account.
>It may be self-powered from the door.

I had a similar device from the same manufacturer. It may be an older
model since it is a small magnet which hangs around the cat's neck.
The unit had to be adjusted to match the local magnetic field and I
found that it required readjustment as battery aged. It bacame a not
uncommon sight to see two angry cats waiting outside the cat flap when
I came home. So I have dismantled it and replaced it with a standard
old fashioned flap. I do, however have problems with invading cats
especially one a big black monster "the great invader".

Anyone have any solutions to this problem? Do more modern flaps work?

---Mike

linneweh@motcid.UUCP (Louis Linneweh) (02/21/91)

mike@erix.ericsson.se (Mike Williams) writes:

>In article <7045@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>>
>>The unit is made in England and is called the StayWell 21.  It is powered
>>by a wall tumor.  It has a selector that allows one to control which
>>direction the cat is allowed to go automatically (in but not out, for
>>example.)
>>
>>The transmitter that attaches to the cat's collar is about 2/3's the
>>size of an EPROM and perhaps half as thick.  It appeared to be powered
>>by a watch battery, though I'm not absolutely sure on that account.
>>It may be self-powered from the door.
>>

>I had a similar device from the same manufacturer. It may be an older
>model since it is a small magnet which hangs around the cat's neck.
>The unit had to be adjusted to match the local magnetic field and I
>found that it required readjustment as battery aged. It bacame a not
>uncommon sight to see two angry cats waiting outside the cat flap when
[deleted]
>Anyone have any solutions to this problem? Do more modern flaps work?

I have been using a "newer" model Staywell 21 for 2 years with two very happy
cats.  They don't feel trapped inside or out when I am away.  No other
animals have gotten inside yet, except the ones my cat bring in herself. 8-0

The "new" model uses "keys" on the cat's collar which have no batteries, nor
are they "magnetic".  They appear to contain tuned circuits that are
reccognized by a loop of wire in the frame of the cat flap, probably acting
like a "grid dip" circuit.  Never had a problem with it working.  No
adjustment is possible (from the outside :-) or necessary.  Uses a low
voltage transformer.  If your worried about power failures trapping your cats
outside (lock does not keep door from opening out) a small UPS would last
for hours.  There five different "keys" available so your neighbor can also
have a door for his cats only. Two (of the same) keys come with each door and
additional (replacements) are available from Staywell.

Here is the info I have on Staywell (no phone numbers provided):

U.S. Address:
Relior, Inc.
417 Caredean Drive
Babylon Business Campus
Horsham, PA 19044

U.K Address:
Consumer Service Dept.
Relior Limited
Blackpool Road
Preston PR2 2DN

And Hammacher Schlemmer (+1 800 543 3366):
Midwest Operations
9180 Le Saint Drive
Fairfield, OH 45014

Staywell is available in three models (Hammacher just carries model 21 ?) :

Model 21 (electronic lock, manual 4-way lock, and about 1.5 inch "tunnel"
to line the opening)

Model 20 (same as 21 but no electronic lock, just manual 4-way and "tunnel")

Model 19 (same as 20 but no "tunnel", just the manual lock)

I used a model 21 inside and a 20 outside through my wall.  The two "tunnels"
didn't quite meet in the middle (1 inch or so gap), so I wrapped a strip of
vinyl plastic around the tunnel joint and held it in place with several
wraps of nylon reinforced strapping tape.  Worked slick.  I'm going to order
a spare key and door seal "any day now" (I got curious and screwed one of
the seals up)!

I don't work for Staywell or Hammacher Schlemmer, nor do I own stock in them,
though I wish I did because it is a great product (if over priced).

Lou

gaulandm@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM (Mike Gauland) (02/21/91)

The current issue of _Backhome_ magazine has an article on building a cat
door which is controlled by a magnetic reed switch, and a magnet on the
cat's collar.

Michael Gauland         N7QBV || "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe,
(503) 627-5067                ||  while the legislature is in session."
gaulandm@tekig7.map.tek.com   ||--unattributed; can't find the source.