[sci.electronics] power amp

wk@frc.frc.maf.govt.nz (Wilbert Knol) (02/17/91)

At work I have been given the task to design and build a power amplifier
with roughly the following specs: output power 5000W av. during 10 ms,
load 50 ohm resistive, off-time 1.99 s, -3dB bandwidth: 38 kHz +- 5 kHz,
linear mode, solid state, mains powered (240 V/ 50 Hz).

I was wondering if anyone has some useful suggestions/ideas for designs,
literature, application notes, and suitable semiconductors.

At the moment I am having a play with a prototype that I knocked up, it uses
two separate class B push-pull amplifiers employing a pair of identical T-MOS
FETs, each amplifier is to deliver 2.5 kW.
The FETs are driven in anti phase, the drains connected to a centre tapped
output transformer.
The FETs are Motorola MTM15N50 found in a dusty corner, rated at Vds,br = 500 V
and Id,br = 15 A DC or 65 A pulsed. The load impedance of each FET is 18 ohms.
For a supply I intend to use a bank of capacitors charged via a bridge and a
variac up to 300 V.
I have some reservations about the linear behaviour of these switch-mode
devices. Dissipation doesn't seem to be a problem, considering the duty cycle.
The load line fits Motorola's SOA curves for forward bias. The output
transformers came in yesterday, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

In the mean time I'd appreciate serious hints. No doubt there are better ways
to go about it.
Feel free to E-mail me at: wk@frc.maf.govt.nz or post a reply.

Cheers, Bert.

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (02/20/91)

Bert Knol writes:
====
At work I have been given the task to design and build a power amplifier
with roughly the following specs: output power 5000W av. during 10 ms,
=load 50 ohm resistive, off-time 1.99 s, -3dB bandwidth: 38 kHz +- 5 kHz,
===linear mode, solid state, mains powered (240 V/ 50 Hz).
====

This would also be a good solution for the earlier poster who wanted to mess
up his neighbor's stereo.

:-)    (at sci.electronics.frivolity)

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (02/22/91)

 (Wilbert Knol) writes:

> At work I have been given the task to design and build a power amplifier
> with roughly the following specs: output power 5000W av. during 10 ms,
> load 50 ohm resistive, off-time 1.99 s, -3dB bandwidth: 38 kHz +- 5 kHz,
> linear mode, solid state, mains powered (240 V/ 50 Hz).
> [...]

I can offer a few tips...

Class B is a good choice. The maximum theoretical efficiency is 78%; if you
used PWM, you could squeeze a bit more efficiency at the expense of more
design effort.

Because of the low duty cycle, you can take advantage of the transient thermal
impedance characteristics to reduce the size of your heatsink. I looked at
several curves for International Rectifier HEXFETs and found that for your
duty cycle, you can reduce the junction-case thermal impedance from 20%
to 40% of it's original value.

I've never done a high-power linear amplifier design, but as long as it's
linear, I'm sure you can use small-signal analysis. The only thing I would be
REALLY careful about is oscillation; make sure your loop gain is well below
unity at 180 degree phase shift.

Since you are using a push-pull center-tapped transformer topology, be aware
that the peak Vds across your output drivers is TWICE the value of the DC
supply voltage. Although an H-bridge takes four devices (instead of 2),
you don't have the Vpeak = 2* Vsupply problem.

Watch out for beats produced by the phase relationship between the AC supply
voltage and the voltage dips on your capacitor bank as the amplifier is
driven. I would suggest phase-locking your 10 msec 'blasts' to the zero-cross
of the AC line. I'm assuming this is some kind of sonar device, so you will
probably want your 'blasts' to have closely-matched profiles. If you don't
phase-lock, some blasts will occur while the capacitors are charging (and
thus have higher energy); others will be powered solely by the capacitor
bank and thus have lower energy because the capacitors are discharging.

                                                                 #####
                                                               ##  |  ##
                                                               #/  |  \#
                                                                #######