[sci.electronics] VDT Electric Fields

STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert F. Stengel) (02/12/91)

   Inadvertently, I conducted an experiment relating to the on-going
controversy regarding possible health effects of low-level electric fields
and video data terminals (VDT).  My new Macintosh LC computer is
parked unceremoniously in the middle of my desk until I can find a better
place for it.  The dual-15w-tube fluorescent desk lamp that has served me
well for 30+ years sits overhead, usually well out of the way.  The lamp
has separate "on" and "off" buttons; the "on" button must be held down to
produce a higher electric field during the starting cycle.
   Recently, while sorting some 35mm slides, I pulled the lamp head closer
to the desk top, just a few inches above the monitor screen.  When I turned
the computer on, the lamp tube nearest to the monitor began to fluoresce,
flickering until the "off" button produced total discharge.  Apparently, the
electric pulse that occurred when the monitor was turned on was enough to
initiate fluorescence in the lamp.  The phenomenon has been repeated
several times since.
   In the popular reporting on the subject, much has been made of average
field strengths and possible repercussions on health, but little or no
attention has been paid to peak transient fields, which could be expected to
have increased effect.  It may well be that the VDT presents a greater
hazard as it is being turned on than while it is operating normally.
Increased understanding of this potentially significant factor is warranted.

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (02/12/91)

Possibly the interaction between the VDT and the fluorescent lamp
was via the power line.

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (02/12/91)

In article <12438@pucc.Princeton.EDU> STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>   Recently, while sorting some 35mm slides, I pulled the lamp head closer
>to the desk top, just a few inches above the monitor screen.  When I turned
>the computer on, the lamp tube nearest to the monitor began to fluoresce,
>flickering until the "off" button produced total discharge.  Apparently, the
>electric pulse that occurred when the monitor was turned on was enough to
>initiate fluorescence in the lamp.  The phenomenon has been repeated
>several times since.

   First of all, since the pulse only occurs for a short period of time, the
exposure (which is cumulative anyway) is quite slight.  Secondly, the exposure
from VDTs may be one of the less important elements in the environment.  I
have shared offices with 250 KW transmitters where fluorescent lights would
burn a bright white while unplugged and held in the hand, and caused small
sparks to jump off the corner of my glasses if the sharp edges were not rounded
with a file.  Currently I am across the street from a radar set which causes
a noticeable flicker on fluorescent lamps and disconnected CRTs every time the
beam sweeps in my direction.
   VDT exposure is in the sub-microvolt/m2 range, but there are a lot of
environments where people live and work in the tens of volts/m2 range.  AC
power lines are a contributor to the exposure, and while the actual field
strength produced by AC lines is quite small in most cases, the lower
frequencies may possibly be more hazardous.
   Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  But it's a matter that certainly
does deserve more study.
--scott

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (02/13/91)

I'll bet the high voltage of the monitor was causing the flourescent light
to glow.  I've found that a neon bulb can often be made to glow by holding
it near a TV set.  This is a totally harmless effect, unrelated to the
controversy about EM fields generated by VDT's and other devices.
In particular, color monitors use very high voltages (about 25,000 volts)
and at these high voltages some small amount of the electricity is
discharged into the air.

jones@sj.ate.slb.com (Clark Jones) (02/13/91)

In article <12438@pucc.Princeton.EDU> STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
[stuff deleted]
>   In the popular reporting on the subject, much has been made of average
>field strengths and possible repercussions on health, but little or no
>attention has been paid to peak transient fields, which could be expected to
>have increased effect.  It may well be that the VDT presents a greater
>hazard as it is being turned on than while it is operating normally.
>Increased understanding of this potentially significant factor is warranted.

And the designers of this equipment, in their infinite wisDUMB, put the
on/off switches on the _BACK_ so you've got to get "up close and personal"
to turn the thing on or off!

BTW, you didn't mention whether the VDT in question is a monochrome or
color.  For many years, standard design of color CRT circuits has included
a "de-gausser", which applies a decaying line-frequency magnetic field to
the tube to eliminate residual magnetic fields (which would interfere with
the image displayed).  This is applied to the face end of the tube.

						Clark

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are mine and not those of
Schlumberger because they are NOT covered by the patent agreement!

jfa0522@hertz.njit.edu (john f andrews ece) (02/18/91)

While on the topic of EM fields and vdt's, can anyone point me to a source for
information on health effects of em fields? I have a few callers interested,
and would like to repost whatever I can find for wider dissemination.

Thanks for any comments.

john f andrews                SYSOP           The Biomedical Engineering BBS
    24 hrs                300/1200/2400               (201) 596-5679
INTERNET jfa0522@hertz.njit.edu    LabRat@faraday.njit.edu    CIS 73710,2600

In article <1991Feb13.002236.8087@sj.ate.slb.com> jones@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Clark Jones) writes:
>And the designers of this equipment, in their infinite wisDUMB, put the
>on/off switches on the _BACK_ so you've got to get "up close and personal"
>to turn the thing on or off!

This in turn is a safety issue.  Keeping the 110VAC wiring in a tight little
clump at the back makes it substantially easier to pass safety standards for
shock hazard, especially when you can use a plug/fuse/filter/switch/etc.
module built by somebody else instead of having to do all that high-hazard
wiring yourself.
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jones@sj.ate.slb.com (Clark Jones) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb19.232959.28401@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Feb13.002236.8087@sj.ate.slb.com> jones@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Clark Jones) writes:
>>And the designers of this equipment, in their infinite wisDUMB, put the
>>on/off switches on the _BACK_ so you've got to get "up close and personal"
>>to turn the thing on or off!
>
>This in turn is a safety issue.  Keeping the 110VAC wiring in a tight little
>clump at the back makes it substantially easier to pass safety standards for
>shock hazard, especially when you can use a plug/fuse/filter/switch/etc.
>module built by somebody else instead of having to do all that high-hazard
>wiring yourself.
>--
>"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

Henry, have you forggotten entirely about the rather dangerous voltages that
these things require to work?  Furthermore, having to reach around to the
back _DECREASES_ safety (I rather suspect that you could get a U.L. engineer
to agree that reaching around a burning terminal to shut it off is not as
safe as being able to turn it off from the front ;-), not to mention the
increased danger of back strain from that reach and the chance of knocking
the whole box off onto the floor (have you ever seen a CRT implode?  Flying
glass _everywhere_, not a nice thing to be bending over).

But to really blow your argument out of the water, Henry, a quick check of
the two monitors on my desk (a 19" color from Sun and a DEC VT-100) reveals
that _neither_ of them make use of a third-party switch/fuse/plug/filter
module.  (The VT-100 does have a plug/filter/voltage-select module, but the
switch is separate.)

No, it is not a safety issue, just plain anti-ergonomics.

In article <1991Feb21.183853.28327@sj.ate.slb.com> jones@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Clark Jones) writes:
>>This in turn is a safety issue.  Keeping the 110VAC wiring in a tight little
>>clump at the back makes it substantially easier to pass safety standards...
>
>Henry, have you forggotten entirely about the rather dangerous voltages that
>these things require to work?

Of course not, but what difference does that make?  You're *still* safer if
the 110VAC is restricted to a small section.  It is, if anything, a bigger
hazard than the high voltages, since it can supply a whole lot more current.

>Furthermore, having to reach around to the back _DECREASES_ safety...

Perhaps.  Terminals do not ignite very often. :-)  You have to balance the
awkwardness of getting at the power switch when it's put at the back
against reduced hazards from physical abuse and manufacturing error when
high-power wiring is minimized.

You are also ignoring cost considerations; note the word "easier" in my
comments.  All the safety features in the world don't help if your boss
won't buy it because something else is cheaper.  People are seldom willing
to pay extra for arguably-better safety in very unlikely situations.

>But to really blow your argument out of the water, Henry, a quick check of
>the two monitors on my desk (a 19" color from Sun and a DEC VT-100) reveals
>that _neither_ of them make use of a third-party switch/fuse/plug/filter
>module...

I hate to point this out, but my argument still floats solidly. :-)  For
one thing, although you don't specify the make of Sun so I can't say about
it, the VT-100 design is 15 years old.  It actually took quite a while for
reasonably comprehensive modules to appear.  For another thing, you are
talking about products built in huge volume by large manufacturers, who
are very conscious of the long-term merits of spending a little extra to
build custom solutions rather than using off-the-shelf parts that cost
five cents more each.

>No, it is not a safety issue, just plain anti-ergonomics.

Contrary to popular belief, manufacturers do not take sheer malevolent joy
in making equipment hard to use.  There are usually good reasons, or at
least reasons that are perceived as good, for these decisions.  Keeping
the AC power handling concentrated in one small area is a safety improvement,
at least by UL/CSA/etc rules.  Keeping it out of the equipment entirely is
a still bigger win, which is why lots of things now use external "brick"
power supplies (which let the power-supply manufacturer do all the worrying
about AC).