[sci.electronics] Cheap 40kHz Oscillator?

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (02/21/91)

I am (still) dallying into the realm of infrared remotes and I was wanting
some suggestions on the cheapest way to make a suitable 40kHz oscillator
that can be easily modulated for output through an IR LED.

I basically would like to make production cost (if I ever decide to go that
far) as cheap as possible.  So...  I would appreciate some suggestions on
the cheapest way to go.  Can I beat a 555 in price without adding extra
support hardware?

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (02/24/91)

In article <44508@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>I am (still) dallying into the realm of infrared remotes and I was wanting
>some suggestions on the cheapest way to make a suitable 40kHz oscillator
>that can be easily modulated for output through an IR LED.
>
>I basically would like to make production cost (if I ever decide to go that
>far) as cheap as possible.  So...  I would appreciate some suggestions on
>the cheapest way to go.  Can I beat a 555 in price without adding extra
>support hardware?

   No. The 555 costs about the same as one transistor, doesn't it?
   (From a real distributor, I mean, not just Radio Shack.)