[sci.electronics] I'm worried about EPROM labels....

rcte2q@jetson.uh.edu (02/14/91)

The recent postings about light-induced bit changes has given me pause. I am an
impoverished student hacker, so I have been using 'appropriated' file folder
adhesive labels to cover my EPROM windows.   My question: are all labels equal,
or are there reasons not to continue using thin, plain paper+adhesive labels?

     -- Larry Liska,
        Univ. of Houston

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/16/91)

rcte2q@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>The recent postings about light-induced bit changes has given me pause. I am an
>impoverished student hacker, so I have been using 'appropriated' file folder
>adhesive labels to cover my EPROM windows.   My question: are all labels equal,
>or are there reasons not to continue using thin, plain paper+adhesive labels?

Funny you'd mention it.  I happened to be burning some EPROMS when I
read your article and decided to test.  A file label over a 27256 reduces
the sensitivity to the same strobe as in the first test from about 15
feet to about 3 feet.  I did not test again with the quartz-halogen lamp.

For very cheap window covers, I suggest floppy disk write protect
tabs.  If you buy the kind of disks that use foil-based tabs, you can
even write on them.  If like me, you buy the el-cheapo bulk disks
with the black vinyl tabs, simply stick the file label over the vinyl label.
Or if you're REAL cheap, some Scotch 33+ electrical tape works well :-)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

billp@col.hp.com (Bill Pherigo) (02/18/91)

Disk write protect tabs with metal backing work best.  All others I've tried
didn't prevent faulty operation in direct sunlight.

billp

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/18/91)

In article <5191@acorn.co.uk> agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) writes:
>Look out for write-protect labels intended for 5.25" floppy discs - these
>are often made of foil to ensure they will be properly detected by photosensors
>in the disc drive.

Do you mean "look out for" as in:

1) find them, buy them, and use them, or

2) toss them out the window and over the fence?  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) (02/23/91)

In <8505.27b915d3@jetson.uh.edu>, Larry Liska writes

> The recent postings about light-induced bit changes has given me pause.
> I am an impoverished student hacker, so I have been using 'appropriated'
> file folder adhesive labels to cover my EPROM windows.   My question:
> are all labels equal, or are there reasons not to continue using thin,
> plain paper+adhesive labels?

Here at Hewlett-Packard (Andover Division), we use EPROMs regularly to
store microprocessor code in our medical products.  We cover the quartz
windows using standard, adhesive paper labels.  As one responder noted,
commercial users like to label their EPROMs by printing on the labels with
a dot-matrix printer prior to covering the windows.  These paper-based
labels have proven completely reliable for use in medical products.  Do
note that these EPROMs are inside closed instruments, and probably never
see the light of day.

Moral:  if your parts are lying on a bench, exposed to flourescent lights,
  etc, just let your random papers, databooks, schematics, manuals and
  sandwich wrappers cover them up.  That works pretty well, too.

Jonathan Panek
Hewlett-Packard, Andover Division
panek@hp-and.an.HP.COM
(508) 687-1501 X-2866

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/24/91)

In article <13650003@hp-and.HP.COM> panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) writes:
>Here at Hewlett-Packard (Andover Division), we use EPROMs regularly to
>store microprocessor code in our medical products.  We cover the quartz
>windows using standard, adhesive paper labels.  As one responder noted,
>commercial users like to label their EPROMs by printing on the labels with
>a dot-matrix printer prior to covering the windows.  These paper-based
>labels have proven completely reliable for use in medical products.  Do
>note that these EPROMs are inside closed instruments, and probably never
>see the light of day.

Precisely true!  I have terminals from the late '70s whose code exists in
paper-label-covered EPROMs which still work fine.

One of my own company's products, since 1983, includes EPROMs shielded by
paper labels on which version numbers were printed by a dot-matrix printer,
and not ONE of those EPROMs has ever lost its data; to be fair, the circuitry
containing the EPROMs is entombed in Pac-Tec plastic cases (thus no direct
exposure to daylight or flourescent lighting).  I don't know what would happen
if we were to use transparent cases and the customer base included tanning
salons, but ...  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (02/25/91)

In article <13650003@hp-and.HP.COM> panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) writes:
>In <8505.27b915d3@jetson.uh.edu>, Larry Liska writes
>> The recent postings about light-induced bit changes has given me pause.
>>... I have been using file folder adhesive labels to cover EPROM windows.
>> are all labels equal, or are there reasons not to continue using thin,
>...  These paper-based labels have proven completely reliable...
>...these EPROMs are inside closed instruments,
>Moral:  if your parts are lying on a bench, exposed to flourescent lights,
>  etc, just let your random papers, databooks, schematics, manuals and
>  sandwich wrappers cover them up.  That works pretty well, too.

I've been following this rambling discussion from a distance. I too have heard
the stories about trade show 'zaps' and don't doubt it's possibility.  I do
doubt (somehow) the 'reality' of the posts in regards to people who have
claims to light power and frequency exposure measurements, as a 'hobby'
experiment.  The story I'll regale is quite the opposite.
I changed dept's at my current employer 5 years ago.  For 1 setup, they
have a programmable experimental logic 'trainer' (a little microprocessor
setup with software & i/o capabilities) used to teach by example real world
analog and digital i/o and programming as it might be used for typical
engineering control problems (tanks level control, automated machine control,
conveyer system control...).  This little thing sits on top of a bench and
has all of it's cirtuitry exposed for further educational reasons.  The
bios software is contained in 4 16Kx1 (2716) roms.  At that time, this
thing was 4 years old. I was mortified to see that NONE of the roms have ANY
covers on them at all for even further 'educationa emphasis'.  This box
is in a low ceiling room, with typical fluorscent lights that remain on 24
hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.  These roms have been exposed to
this for a total of 9 years now, and none of them have had a single problem.
I'll open my door if anybody wishes to make a independant 'site inspection'
because I don't believe it either, and I see it every day.  Besides that,
once a year the lab and equipment is used as photographic props for publication
materials, and they do use flashes and reflectors....
I also will quickly add that when I program a chip, I NEVER leave it exposed
like that (unless instructed to).  I find it hard to believe that ANY rom
that is put in a finished product would EVER have a reasonable expectancy to
get enough uv light to cause problems.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu