[sci.electronics] converting AUX level to MIC level

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (02/20/91)

I am wanting to connect a tape recorder that has only MIC input to a device
that has AUX or earphone or speaker level outputs.  What I need is some level
of attenuation.  I have not worked with these before so I don't know what
the typical levels and impedances are.  Does anyone know this and/or have
good working circuits for apply the proper attenuation?  Are there any other
things that need to be done besides just attenuation?

The recorder I have is a Sony TCM-38V.  The instructions recommend using
special connector cords for recording from various sources.  For dubbing
between 2 cassette units they recommend model RK-G64.  The same is also
recommended for recording from a radio or TV equipped with an earphone
jack.  The RK-G69 is recommended for recoding from a radio or TV equipped
with a recording jack.  I suspect what I need to do is reproduce these
cords unless some wonderful dealer happens to stock these possibly rare
items.  (Maybe RS?  Nah!)

Email: phil-howard@uiuc.edu or ka9wgn@uiuc.edu
Thanks.
--

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN-- | Individual CHOICE is fundamental to a free society
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> | no matter what the particular issue is all about.

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.220209.13013@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

>I am wanting to connect a tape recorder that has only MIC input to a device
>that has AUX or earphone or speaker level outputs.

>                        I suspect what I need to do is reproduce these
>cords unless some wonderful dealer happens to stock these possibly rare
>items.  (Maybe RS?  Nah!)

Well, maybe RS is the place.  A few years ago they did have a cable made
especially for that purpose.  It had built in attenuation so that you could
take a high level signal and feed it into a mike input.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (02/22/91)

Actually, Radio Shack DOES sell a cord that may do the trick for you.
From the 1990 catalog p.29:
Dubbing Cords
Attenuating with 1/8" plugs. 6.5 ft.  #42-2152 $3.39

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to make an audio attenuator.  Perhaps the easiest
thing is to stick a volume pot (10 kohm - 100 kohm, somewhere in about that
range ought to do, taper doesn't really matter) in a metal box with a couple
of appropriate jacks (or shielded  cables with plugs, if you wish), in the
following configuration:

signal in>----------|
                    /
             pot    \
                    /
                    \<-----------------<signal out
                    /
                    \
shield (ground)     /
in >----------------|-------------------> shield out

and then adjust the pot until you get no distortion at the input of your
mixer.

You could also use a pair of fixed resistors instead of the pot, say, 20k
to the signal in and 1k to ground should give you enough attenuation.  But
the pot is better, because you can adjust it to the right amount of atten.
-jim

IO80900@MAINE.BITNET (02/22/91)

I have not looked for such a connector recently, but a few years ago
Radio Shack sold such a connector.  They came in packages of two, and
accepted an RCA jack, and the out was a MIC jack (1/8", I think).  I
cannot remember off hand, but I believe the attenuation level was about
22 dB.

C. A. Gagnon
IO80900 at MAINE.BITNET
io80900@maine.maine.edu

techie@public.BTR.COM (Bob Vaughan techie@btr.com) (02/26/91)

In article <91052.182311IO80900@MAINE.BITNET> IO80900@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>I have not looked for such a connector recently, but a few years ago
>Radio Shack sold such a connector.  They came in packages of two, and
>accepted an RCA jack, and the out was a MIC jack (1/8", I think).  I
>cannot remember off hand, but I believe the attenuation level was about
>22 dB.

They still do.

"Dubbing cords"  page 106 of the 1991 catalog

Part # 42-2152  1/8"plug - 1/8"plug  attenuating
part # 42-2461  1/8"plug - RCA plug  attenuating?????

Standard Disclaimers Apply

--
Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine
Bob Vaughan     - techie@well.sf.ca.us {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!techie