[sci.electronics] Speech Synthesizer chipsets?

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (02/16/91)

I'm working on an application that requires a modest vocabulary of
stored speech for telemetry - typically some electronics jargon, words
like "alarm", "battery", "off", "on", and the numbers.

In the past I've used the Digitalker chipset, with both vocabulary
sets that were available for it, but some of the words I would have
liked to have just weren't in the vocabularies, and I don't think I
can record my own for it.

I don't mind recording and digitizing my own words if I can do it
cheaply.  The application is an embedded controller that has no bulk
storage (i.e., ROM only, no disk) and only needs to have telephone-
quality speech.

I'd really like something that would speak a whole word or phrase
without any significant attention from the control processor - with the
Digitalker, you just select the word address and strobe it, and it
signals when it's done.

Suggestions?   MAIL to me and I'll summarize for the group.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego
	brian@ucsd.edu	ucsd!brian	BRIAN@UCSD

gbr@cypress.UUCP ( PROM Design) (02/20/91)

In article <28283@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>I'm working on an application that requires a modest vocabulary of
>stored speech for telemetry - typically some electronics jargon, words
>like "alarm", "battery", "off", "on", and the numbers.
>
>In the past I've used the Digitalker chipset, with both vocabulary
>sets that were available for it, but some of the words I would have
>liked to have just weren't in the vocabularies, and I don't think I
>can record my own for it.
>
>I don't mind recording and digitizing my own words if I can do it
>cheaply.  The application is an embedded controller that has no bulk
>storage (i.e., ROM only, no disk) and only needs to have telephone-
>quality speech.
>
>I'd really like something that would speak a whole word or phrase
>without any significant attention from the control processor - with the
>Digitalker, you just select the word address and strobe it, and it
>signals when it's done.
>
>Suggestions?   MAIL to me and I'll summarize for the group.
>
>	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego
>	brian@ucsd.edu	ucsd!brian	BRIAN@UCSD

Interesting you should bring this up...I saw an interesting device at
the ISSCC conference here in SF last week. It's an EEPROM capable of
sampling and storing sound, with an integrated input filter (anti-
aliasing) and output power amp. All you need to get solid state
recording is an external mike, speaker, battery, and a few other
discretes. The model they have available at the moment stores 16
seconds of sound with a S/N ratio of 40dB and 3400Hz bandwith.

What makes this so useful is the integration of I/O and the non-volatile
(i.e. no battery backup) storage on the same chip. With the ability
to store sounds at specific addresses you can sequence bits of
sound or phrases under external control, and you can stack the
chips for more time.

What makes it most interesting, however, is that they don't use
any digitizing circuits--the analog input signal is stored in the
EEPROM cell as an analog voltage on the floating gate, allowing a
complete sample to be stored in one cell (as opposed to 8 cells in
a digital storage scheme for similar resolution).

At any rate, the company is ISD and their address is 2841 Junction
Ave., Suite 204, San Jose, CA  95134; and the phone number is
800-825-4473. The price for the ISD1016 (described above) is supposed
to be about $20, with other products planned.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with ISD, not even as a customer-
I just thought it was a pretty novel and interesting design.

glen rosendale		cypress semiconductor	   gbr@cypress.uucp

rustyh@epsl.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (02/21/91)

In article <760@cypress.UUCP> gbr@cypress.UUCP ( PROM Design) writes:
>In article <28283@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>>I'm working on an application that requires a modest vocabulary of
>>stored speech for telemetry - typically some electronics jargon, words
>>like "alarm", "battery", "off", "on", and the numbers.

Check out  the 'speech stick' from Dallas Semiconductor. Its a pcb about
4" x 3/4" and stores and replays speech. It stores about a minute (more
with an accompanying memory board) and sections can be organised like files.
Abt $120 in one offs.
Its designed for 'tele-servicing' (you dial up you electronics box and ask
for a status report)
Of course Dallas also sells the chips that form the heart of the board.

--
Michael Katzmann  (VK2BEA/G4NYV/NV3Z)   Please email to this address |
Broadcast Sports Technology                                          |

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb20.194117.638@wam.umd.edu> rustyh@epsl.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) writes:

   Check out  the 'speech stick' from Dallas Semiconductor. Its a pcb about
   4" x 3/4" and stores and replays speech. It stores about a minute (more
   with an accompanying memory board) and sections can be organised like files.
   Abt $120 in one offs.
   Its designed for 'tele-servicing' (you dial up you electronics box and ask
   for a status report)
   Of course Dallas also sells the chips that form the heart of the board.

One of the devices I "invented" (you know, you think these things up
and then find someone beat you to it...) were electronic post-it
notes.  Save a few seconds of speech in a cheap little device and
leave it around for yourself or a friend.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine had one that he got from OKI at
a trade show.  I think it was a keychain, the actual unit a little
fatter than a watch.  It stored something like 30 seconds of
intelligable speech.  It had a couple of buttons on it and could save
several messages.

A neat little toy but I have yet to see one since.

jv

"Somebody needs to do something--it's just incredibly pathetic that
       it has to be *us*."  -- Jerry Garcia
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail