[sci.electronics] Current Feedback Amplifiers

flower@hpcc01.HP.COM (Graham Flower) (02/28/91)

      I am interested in knowing a little more about Current-Feedback amplifiers
      that are so much the rage these days. Does anybody know some good trade
      magazine articles or journal articles that deal with these devices?

      Thanks in Advance

Graham Flower ms 90-TT               |  Better to have convictions and act on
Hewlett-Packard  350 W Trimble Rd    |  them, even if they are wrong, than to
Microwave Semiconductor Division     |  waffle in indecision endlessly.
San Jose, California, 95131          |

dupuie@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu (Scott T. Dupuie) (03/01/91)

> I am interested in knowing a little more about Current-Feedback amplifiers
> that are so much the rage these days. Does anybody know some good trade
> magazine articles or journal articles that deal with these devices?

Although current-feedback amplifiers have been getting a lot of "press"
lately, they have been around for quite some time. For example, the Analog
Devices AD521/524 instrumentation amplifiers and the PMI AMP-01 inst. amp.
all use active current feedback and are relatively old. One good place to
start is with the book:

     Analogue IC Design: the current-mode approach
     Edited by - C. Toumazou, F.J. Lidgey, & D.G. Haigh
     Published by - Peter Peregrinus Ltd, London, 1990
     ISBN 0 86341 215 7

This is an edited volume with chapters on many different aspects of
current-mode design. (Note: I am one of the authors. I offer this
information only for your benefit, not as a sales pitch.) Chapter 16,
Applying "Current Feedback" to Voltage Amplifiers, was written by Derek
Bowers of Analog Devices/PMI and is a good review of the field. If you
are more into journal and trade articles, here are a few references:

R. J. Van de Plassche, "A wide-band monolithic instrumentation amplifier",
IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, vol. SC-10 Dec. 1975

A. P. Brokaw and M. P. Timco, "An improved monolithic instrumentation
amplifier", IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, vol. SC-10, Dec. 1975

C. T. Nelson, "A 0.01% linear instrumentation amplifier", ISSCC Digest of
Technical Papers, Feb. 1980

D. F. Bowers, "A versatile precision instrumentation amplifier", ESSIRC '83
Digest of Technical Papers, Sept. 1983
(PMI AMP-01)

S. A. Wurcer and L. Counts, "A programmable instrumentation amplifier for
12-bit resolution systems", ISSCC Digest of Technical Papers, Feb. 1982
(Analog Devices AD524)

D. F. Bowers, "A precision dual 'current feedback' operational amplifier",
BCTM '88 Digest of Technical Papers, Sept. 1988
(PMI OP-260)

I've tried to pick references that are representative of commercially
viable products or are of general interest. I'm sure there are more, but
these should get you started. You will undoubtedly find more references in
these papers. Happy reading!

Scott T. Dupuie
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
The Ohio State University
dupuie@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu

ankleand@athena.mit.edu (The Analog Kid) (03/01/91)

In article <4450006@hpcc01.HP.COM> flower@hpcc01.HP.COM (Graham Flower) writes:
>      I am interested in knowing a little more about Current-Feedback amplifiers
>      that are so much the rage these days. Does anybody know some good trade
>      magazine articles or journal articles that deal with these devices?
>
>      Thanks in Advance

You can find a reasonable description of shunt-shunt feedback in Analog
Devices Data Acquisiotn/Linear data books.  The use of shunt-shunt feedback
is not a new item.

Andrew Karanicolas
MIT Microsystems Technology Laboratory
ankleand@caf.mit.edu