[sci.electronics] switch in the back

gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) (02/23/91)

-In article <1991Feb21.183853.28327@sj.ate.slb.com> jones@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Clark Jones) writes:
->>This in turn is a safety issue.  Keeping the 110VAC wiring in a tight little
->>clump at the back makes it substantially easier to pass safety standards...

I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
on the front.  An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) connects
to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
out there know?

In article <1991Feb22.174257.19533@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Terminals do not ignite very often. :-) ....

Well, I'm not so sure... when I ran a comp center the Televideo were #1 for fires,
followed by Visual and HDS.  After a couple fires I quit ordering the models that
burned. (1/2 (:-))  This, admittedly, was a long time ago.
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.

hf3@sage.cc.purdue.edu (hf3) (02/23/91)

In article <4472@eastapps.East.Sun.COM>, gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) writes:
> I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
> on the front.  An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) connec
> to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
> out there know?

I once saw an ibm ps/2 with the top off somewhere. I had always just assumed
for some strange reason that they had some funny power supply that ran all the
way down the right side of the machine -- the power switch is a nice big thing
on the very front. But it turns out that it's just connected by a long rod like
you describe all the way to a standard supply at the back.

In article <4472@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gsteckel@east.sun.com (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) writes:
>I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
>on the front.  An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) connects
>to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
>out there know?

Now that you mention it, I've seen those too.  Now *this* is a sensible way
of dealing with the problem.  I don't think they're in wide use yet; I only
started seeing those ads recently.
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (02/24/91)

Others said:

>>I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
>>on the front.  An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) connects
>>to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
>>out there know?

>Now that you mention it, I've seen those too.  Now *this* is a sensible way
>of dealing with the problem.  I don't think they're in wide use yet; I only
>started seeing those ads recently.

This was the method used by Selectric typewriters for eons. It
definitely has advantages over having the switch up front, but there is
a price to pay - manufacturing costs.

A modern terminal is designed from the ground up to NOT have
unnecessary mechanical parts. After all, Arthur C. Clarke has insisted
for years that the only REAL machines have no moving parts at
all. Those are things that break. Now some are necessary, (If you want
a keyboard that does away with those nasty pieces, I've got a GREAT
deal on leftover PC Junior Chicklet specials :-) but others may not be.

So it boils down to a design decision. Is it worthwhile to add all that
linkage, and move other stuff around to clear that rod, when chances
are the user is so well trained by your competitors that she or he
reaches for the back automatically anyhow? Danged if I know.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (Don Stokes) (02/24/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> In article <4472@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gsteckel@east.sun.com (Geoff Steckel
> >I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
> >on the front.  An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) conn
> >to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
> >out there know?
>
> Now that you mention it, I've seen those too.  Now *this* is a sensible way
> of dealing with the problem.  I don't think they're in wide use yet; I only
> started seeing those ads recently.

The CIBCI cabinet (CIBCI == CI (Computer Interconnect) adapter for BI
based VAXes) uses the same trick, probably as a kludge to get around one
of the power supply's *many* failings -- the breaker is located on the
top of the power supply, under the module bay(!), and a rod extends to
the front of the cabinet.  Turning the thing on is easy -- you just push
the button.  Turning it off involves getting fingernails under the
button and pulling it.

I have never had any need to use this switch -- (a) it's easier to power
down the CPU supply, which also powers the CI, and (b) the power supply
usually dies before the breaker flips.

The whole thing is a classic example of unservicability, from hiding the
PSU under the module bay to the three overlapping steel plates in the
PSU enclosure, two of which are fastened by a screw covered by the
third.  Of course power supply parts are supplied in bits requiring the
thing to be stripped down....

Don Stokes, ZL2TNM  /  /                             don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (home)
Systems Programmer /GP/ GP PRINT LIMITED  Wellington,       don@gp.co.nz (work)
__________________/  / ----------------   New_Zealand__________________________

shields@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Paul Shields) (02/27/91)

In article <4472@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gsteckel@east.sun.com (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) writes:
>I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
>on the front.  An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) connects
>to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
>out there know?

A friend of mine opened up his IBM PS/2 (model 30 ?) for me and showed
me just such a rod going from the front to the power supply in the
back of the unit.

So I guess they're not too popular :-)

jamesv@hplsla.HP.COM (James Vasil) (02/28/91)

>I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
>on the front. An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) connects
>to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
>out there know?

HP's "Vectra" line of PC compatibles have this type of power switch.

wolfgang@wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (03/01/91)

In article <4472@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gsteckel@east.sun.com (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) writes:
>I've seen advertisements for rear power modules where the user actuator is
>on the front.  An insulated mechanical linkage (read: long plastic rod) connects
>to the actual switch in the module.  Dunno how popular they are - anybody
>out there know?

I have seen old tube type Tek scopes use this trick.  The front panel
had a push-pull knob that attached via a rod to a rocking bucket in
the back.  The little bucket toggled a normal 5/16"-hole mounted
toggle switch.  This arrangement also let them pull out the power
supply, and not have to worry about yet another connector.  Quite
clever actually.

-wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524