[sci.electronics] 12 to 9 volts dc

wally@cbnewsl.att.com (Brian S Walden) (02/11/91)

I want to take my old Sony Dicsman D-5 in the car with me,
the problem is that it requires 9 volts and 1/2 amp.

I'm not a e.e., but from the course in college (a few years, now)
I remember something like this (12 to 9 volts) is just a resistor,
a zener diode, and an NPN transistor.

I figure someone should have done this already with real parts.
So if you'd like to share a schematic with me, I'd be very
grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Brian S Walden
--
Brian S Walden
AT&T Bell Labs, Whippany, NJ

ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.220719.17078@cbnewsl.att.com> wally@cbnewsl.att.com
(Brian S Walden) writes:
>I want to take my old Sony Dicsman D-5 in the car with me,
>the problem is that it requires 9 volts and 1/2 amp.

OK:  First, let's think 13.6 volts, not 12.  That's the actual (as opposed to
nominal) voltage when you're running the engine.

Second, you _can_ use a resistor/zener_diode/buffer_transistor circuit such as
the one you mention, but there are easier ways.

We want to carve about 4.6 volts off that 13.6.  If we call it 4.5, and you
can come up with a 4.5 volt zener, then just put the zener in series with the
load:

+ 12V o----------------|<-----------o + 9.1V
			4.5V
			zener
			diode

Negative is ground, of course.  Note that the zener diode is installed "back-
ward" to the way normal diodes are placed.  It's used in "reverse conduction"
mode.  A problem is that that diode is dropping 4.5 volts at half an amp...
that comes to 2.25 watts.  As a safety fudge, you'd want a diode that could
handle twice that...say, 5 watts.  5 watt zeners aren't cheap.  Also, note
that that drop assumes a significant current being drawn.  As the current gets
very small (<1mA, typically), the voltage will start to rise.  This _usually_
isn't a problem, but for a CYA it can't hurt to put a small load...say, an LED
with a current-limiting resistor (2.2 kilohms or so)...across the 9V side.
This will stabilize the current, and give you a pilot lamp to boot.

Stick a 3/4 amp or so fuse in the circuit, too.  Slo-blo is recommended.

Again, note the polarity of that diode.

Also, be warned:  If that zener should develop an internal short, the full
13.6 volts will be dumped into your load.  If you install it backward, you
will get just under 13 volts into your load. If you're lucky, the fuse will go
before your DiskMan.  _If_ you're lucky....

There's also a junk-box solution:  1 amp silicon rectifiers are widely avail-
able, cheap, and many of us have a bunch lying around.  The forward drop on a
silicon diode is nominally 0.7V; actually 0.626 is a _very_ good average fig-
gure.  Lesee...0.626 into 4.6 is...7.3bleep, so if we use seven rectifiers in
series, we lose about 4.4 volts leaving us with just under 9.2 volts.  The
circuit looks like this:

+12V o------->|-->|-->|-->|-->|-->|-->|-------------o +9V
	seven silicon rectifiers, 1A at 50V or so.

This time, note that the diodes all point downstream the way they're "sup-
posed" to.  If you need more current, it's easy to find 6A or even 10A
rectifiers.  Consider the rectifiers as all one component, then install the
fuse and pilot light as before.  Each diode dissapates about 0.626 times
the current.  Stay under 1 amp, and you should be safe.  The PIV of the
rectifiers isn't a worry, and 50V is about the lowest (and cheapest) type
you'll find.

You have some more safety here, too.  Failure of more than one of the diodes
(shorting-type failure, that is) is pretty unlikely in any situation that
doesn't involve a blown fuse.

Another advantage is that all the components pass the strongest test of
availability that I know.  Radio Schlock carries 'em....

					Best o' luck,

PS -- A final caveat:  It's unlikely to happen, but make sure you have _sili-
con_ (not germanium) diodes, and make sure they're not Schottky or "hot car-
rier" silicon diodes.  All those diodes have a forward drop of about 0.3V, and
if you're using a rectifier chain, you're like to do unpleasant things to your
load.  Germanium rectifiers are rare, and Schottky rectifiers are both rare
and expensive.  If you're worried about it, you can measure the forward drop
very easily:  Just put the diode in series with a small load (say, a flash-
light lamp) powered with a battery, and measure the drop with a voltmeter.  It
should be between 0.6 and 0.7 volts.

    "Got to slap these Goddamn Third World nations around, Flynn," he said,
    "until they learn some manners."     -- Gregory MacDonald, from _Flynn_
  Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@triton.cirt.unm.edu

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.012255.3022@ariel.unm.edu> ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) writes:
>In article <1991Feb10.220719.17078@cbnewsl.att.com> wally@cbnewsl.att.com
>(Brian S Walden) writes:
>>I want to take my old Sony Dicsman D-5 in the car with me,
>>the problem is that it requires 9 volts and 1/2 amp.
>
>OK:  First, let's think 13.6 volts, not 12.  That's the actual (as opposed to
>nominal) voltage when you're running the engine.
>
>Second, you _can_ use a resistor/zener_diode/buffer_transistor circuit such as
>the one you mention, but there are easier ways.
>
>We want to carve about 4.6 volts off that 13.6.  If we call it 4.5, and you
>can come up with a 4.5 volt zener, then just put the zener in series with the
>load:
>
>+ 12V o----------------|<-----------o + 9.1V
>			4.5V
>			zener
>			diode

   NO! You'll fry a Discman.
   The voltage in the car is not a constant 13.6V;
   it varies from 11 to 17 volts!!!!!  (Measure it if you don't believe me.)

   You don't want a constant voltage DROP, you want a constant
   voltage OUTPUT.  A 7809 regulator chip will do the trick.

In article <1991Feb11.051608.2280@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

>>We want to carve about 4.6 volts off that 13.6.  If we call it 4.5, and you
>>can come up with a 4.5 volt zener, then just put the zener in series with the
>>load:
>>
>>+ 12V o----------------|<-----------o + 9.1V
>>			4.5V
>>			zener
>>			diode
>>
>   NO! You'll fry a Discman.
>   The voltage in the car is not a constant 13.6V;
>   it varies from 11 to 17 volts!!!!!  (Measure it if you don't believe me.)
>
>   You don't want a constant voltage DROP, you want a constant
>   voltage OUTPUT.  A 7809 regulator chip will do the trick.

Well, on your car, perhaps.  ;^)

Seriously, Mike, I'm going by experience here...so your mileage may vary.

I've used the chain-of-seven diodes for quite a few years, and never any
damage to any electronics.  Some years back, I used a 7806 in TO-3, nicely
mounted on a heat sink, to power a little tape player.  It worked just fine --
for about seven months.  Then something went wrong with the '06.  Fortunately,
I was wearing the headset at the time.  The volume increased significantly,
and the motor speeded up.  I didn't know what the problem was, but I had the
instinct to yank the plug out of the cassette player.  It survived without
damage; I didn't.  I burned my hand when I thoughtlessly picked up the regu-
lator.

I've observed battery voltages below 12V on occasion -- when the motor wasn't
running, and when the battery was getting a bit low.  I've never -- NEVER  --
observed anything that would push a meter up to 17V on any vehicle I've worked
with.  Measured with a 'scope, things might be different, but it's likely the
power supply filter caps would swallow such transients without difficulty.

In any event, I've never had any equipment failures of this sort, nor of the
voltage reducer, either.

One could easily add a voltage clamp if this is worrisome, however.  Across
the output, put a string of diodes (or a zener) with a conduction voltage of
say, 10 to 10.5 volts (16 or 17 rectifiers, if you're doing it that way).

If the output voltage rises enough to turn that diode/diode-string on, it
will clamp the output voltage at that point, and will blow the fuse if the
voltage tries to rise much higher.

Messy?  Sure, but unless you have a pretty shaky voltage regulator, it should
give you sufficient reduction to operate your equipment, and sufficient saf-
ety with the shunt circuit to protect it.  Twenty-four rectifiers take up a
bit of room, but what's your equipment worth?

A safety shunt of this sort is also a good idea with IC regulators.  I've seen
those fail often enough (not just the tale told above) to make me pretty wary
of relying only on God and Mammon to see that they don't wind up with their
pass transistor shorted.  The same thing applies to discrete circuitry.

Note that I have not installed a shunt on the reducers I use:  risky, perhaps.
But, again, I've not had any problems with those circuits...ever.

PS -- Now, watch me smoke a nine-volt appliance later this week....

PPS -- Recently, someone's .sig said: "If there's one thing software types are
	sure of, it's that smoke is a hardware problem."

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.051608.2280@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:>
>>We want to carve about 4.6 volts off that 13.6.  If we call it 4.5, and you
>>can come up with a 4.5 volt zener, then just put the zener in series with the
>>load:
>   NO! You'll fry a Discman.
>   The voltage in the car is not a constant 13.6V;
>   it varies from 11 to 17 volts!!!!!  (Measure it if you don't believe me.)
>
>   You don't want a constant voltage DROP, you want a constant
>   voltage OUTPUT.  A 7809 regulator chip will do the trick.

Amen to that.  At idle speed, my car shows right around 14 volts, slightly
higher on cold days.  At 1000+ RPM's, it's right around 14.5 volts.  With
the engine off, it's in the 12.5 volt range.  I have seen voltages
above 15 in some cars, especially when cold as some of the modern
systems boost up the altnerator voltage to quickly charge the battery
(the premise here is that when a battery is at less than full charge,
it should be brought back up ASAP in case the trip is going to be too
short to fully charge it at a normal voltage, according to a mechanic).

The 7809 should handle your 1/2 amp, but may need a heat sink.  A better
way to go is to use a 78H09 (H for high-current) and mount it to
some sort of a metal object, preferably using a heatsink.  The cost of
a 78H09 is about $2.00.  You can try a 7809 (probably available at
*gasp* Radio Shack) first, but if it gets too hot, it will (or should
I say, it is supposed to) shut itself off.  It's definately going to be
warm, so don't touch it if you've been using it for a while.

I wouldn't use a zener unless I had a crowber with it as well (requires
another zener, an SCR, and a few resistors).

								--- Jeff
 Jeff DePolo  N3HBZ             Twisted Pair: (215) 386-7199
 depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu    RF: 146.685- 442.70+ 144.455s (Philadelphia)
 University of Pennsylvania     Carrier Pigeon: 420 S. 42nd St. Phila PA 19104

panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) (02/13/91)

I'd have to agree...  my Toyota Celica voltage meter regularly floats around
15-16V while the engine's running.  A constant voltage drop setup, like the
in-line zener, or the chain of Si diodes is not a very robust solution.
The simple solution is the 7809.  Make sure the power rating on the '09
is enough to handle the expected dissipation:  P = EI, where E is the
voltage *difference* between the engine (use 15-18V) and the output of
the device (9V) -- this gives E of ~9V.  I is the current
needed by the discman.  This gives you power in watts.  Note that devices
higher than about 0.5W require proper heat-sinking to achieve their max
ratings...

I sure wouldn't want to risk *my* discman on a junkbox solution...

Good luck!

Jonathan Panek
Hewlett-Packard, Andover Division
panek@hp-and.an.hp.com
(508) 687-1501

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (02/27/91)

>The circuit that you're thinking of is this (Very) basic regulator,
>An Emitter follower or Current amplifier... This one uses a PNP, other
>variations can be used.

Before anyone builds the circuit shown in the referenced article, please note
that it is incorrect - it WILL NOT work if built as shown.

There are two problems (or one, depending on how you look at it); the
transistor is backwards (C for E) and the resistor is in the wrong place.

A corrected version is as follows:

  + 13V in    -------------\       /------------------>  +9V out
                     |    C \     /  E
                     \     ---------
                     /         | B     NPN power transistor
                     \ R       |
                     /         |
                     |         |
                     ----------

                             ----/
                            / /\
                             /  \  9.7V (or 9.6V) Zener diode
                             ----

      GND     ----------------------------------------->   GND

Here's how it works:

The regulation of the output voltage depends on the fact that the B-E drop
of a silicon transistor is a *fairly* constant 0.6-0.7V, depending on the
current through this junction.  Thus, if the base is held to a constant
voltage (which it is here by the Zener), the emitter will be this voltage
minus the B-E drop.  So, with a 9.6-9.7V Zener, we should get about 9V
out at the emitter.  The "lost" voltage (the difference between the input and
output voltages) is not "dumped by the Zener, but appears across the transistor
C-E.  This is one drawback of this type of regulator - the voltage across the
transistor (which will increase as the input voltage increases), multiplied
by the output current, represents power which is doing nothing more than
heating up the transistor.  In other words, a linear regulator (which this is)
isn't particularly efficient.  (And note that you MUST have some minimum drop
across the transistor - at a bare minimum, about 1.4V, and more reasonably
2V - to make sure that the transistor is biased properly.)

The resistor R supplies both the Zener current and the base current of the
transistor.  The Zener current needs to be enough such that the Zener diode
is sufficiently past the "knee" in its characteristic curve such that the
voltage across the diode is reasonably stable; the base current required is
determined by the maximum required output current and the minimum expected
beta of the transistor.  A Zener current of a few tens of mA at most is
usually sufficient; if we say we want 20 mA through the Zener, and expect
1A load current with a transistor beta of 20 (meaning 50 mA base current),
then the resistor must supply 70 mA with a drop of (13.6 - 9.7), or 3.9V.
This calls for a resistor of 3.9V/70 mA = 55.7 ohms *maximum*; we'd probably
wind up with a 51 ohm part here (nearest standard value).  (Note that these
numbers are examples only - use you own Zener requirements and transisor beta,
etc., to get the right resistor for your application.)  Also, please note that
using a value slightly under the calculated maximum simply means that more
current will be available to the Zener/base junction - and what isn't taken
by the base will go through the Zener.  Check to make sure that you won't have
*too much* Zener current under any possible load/transistor combination - if
you're in trouble here, go to a heftier Zener.  The power rating of the
resistor should be selected based on its expected power dissipation under the
worst-case conditions (use at least the next larger standard rating).

It's also a good idea to add some additional filtering to a regulator like
this, in the form of capacitance at the input and output and across the Zener.
If a capacitor across the output is used, a diode connected backwards across
the transistor may be a good idea as well - to prevent any possible damage
from trying to "run the regulator backwards" when the input power is
shut down (or any other situation arises where the "output" voltage is higher
than the "input."

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

dunne@motcid.UUCP (Jim E. Dunne) (02/27/91)

From article <erk.1356@americ.UUCP>, by erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons):

> Get a 9V regulator chip ! I mounted one for my Watchman TV (actually 6V) into

  Can you provide part numbers and makers?  When I was investigating
  a power supply for my 9V electric guitar effects, I could only find
  12, 8, and 5 Volt regulators in the TI book.  I know there are
  "adjustable" ones, but I operate on the KISS principle when it comes
  to circuits!  I'm trying to get 9V from a really dirty 12V wall-type
  transformer, and ended up with a 12V regulator chip, and thus the very
  problem that is the subject of this thread.  Why do they only seem to
  make those screwy values when all my DC items are 3, 6, and 9 volts???
  Thanks for the circuit, anyway.
--

  Jim Dunne                    Motorola Inc.             uunet!motcid!dunne
  Things are more like they are now than they ever were before. - Eisenhower

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (02/27/91)

In article <erk.1356@americ.UUCP> erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:
>This is a pretty basic circuit but works well as a regulator. After all
>this though, I would have to agree with about everyone else in saying ...
>Get a 9V regulator chip ! I mounted one for my Watchman TV (actually 6V) into
>a cigarette lighter plug. I heat sinked it through the metal contact clips
>which contact the lighter receptacle *AND* drilled 8 holes in the thing
>for some air flow. The thing gets warm but not half as warm as it did when
>it wasn't heat sinked !! Worked from Sacramento to Las Vegas without a
>hitch, about an 8 or 9 hour drive.

I have to second the comment about using a regulator chip.  Anything you hack
together from discrete components probably won't compare.  Those little guys
have lots of transistors, so duplicating their functionality would be costly
and take up a lot of space.  Their performance is generally very good, with
wide input tolerance and very low output impedence.

But the more important issue is what happens under abnormal conditions.  Most
regulator chips have current foldback and thermal shutdown so they won't burn
out or fry your device when things get bad.  This is what distinguishes a good
circuit from a hack.

robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) (02/28/91)

In article <4591@ash17.UUCP> dunne@motcid.UUCP (Jim E. Dunne) writes:
>From article <erk.1356@americ.UUCP>, by erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons):
>> Get a 9V regulator chip ! I mounted one for my Watchman TV (actually 6V) into
>  Can you provide part numbers and makers?  When I was investigating

Try 7809 for a +9v regulator.

>  "adjustable" ones, but I operate on the KISS principle when it comes

What's the "KISS" principle?

>  problem that is the subject of this thread.  Why do they only seem to
>  make those screwy values when all my DC items are 3, 6, and 9 volts???
>  Thanks for the circuit, anyway.

Why 3, 6, and 9?  Because that's what corresponds to 2, 4, and 6 1.5 volt
batteries...  BUT, the values I've seen for voltage regulator chips are
5, 9, 12, 15, 18, and 24...

Rob  robf@cs.umr.edu

elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) (02/28/91)

In article <erk.1356@americ.UUCP>, erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:
> ----------
> The circuit that you're thinking of is this (Very) basic regulator,
> An Emitter follower or Current amplifier... This one uses a PNP, other
> variations can be used.
[design omitted]

STOP!  Don't build this!  It won't work!

I fully expect to be one of dozens replying in horror to this circuit,
so I will stop here.  In the remote chance that no one else covers the details,
I will probably follow up.

Ok, I will stop *here* ;-)

--
      Paul M. Elliott      Optilink Corporation     (707) 795-9444
            {uunet, pyramid, pixar, tekbspa}!optilink!elliott

dunne@motcid.UUCP (Jim E. Dunne) (03/01/91)

From article <5170111@hplsla.HP.COM>, by tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns):

> (hee-hee-hee --  you're with Motorola and can't find semiconductors?? ;-)

   OK, I'm a software hack in Cellular.  Hardware devices crash when
   they see me comin'!  Actually, right upstairs from me, where I knew
   they had scads of data books, I found out they had a cache of sample
   parts too.  I raided the cabinet, only to find 5, 8, and 12 V
   regulators!  Oh well, I grabbed an LM317 adjustable.  To the mailers
   who said the adjustable needed only two resistors, well the data book
   shows otherwise.  Nothing I can't handle, but it'd be so nice to
   have it all on-chip... guess I'll hunt for a 7809 next.  Thanks to
   all who helped.

   Long live the KISS principle...
    -- Keep It Simple Stupid (Softwarejock)!
--

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (03/04/91)

In article <4596@ash17.UUCP> dunne@motcid.UUCP (Jim E. Dunne) writes:
>From article <5170111@hplsla.HP.COM>, by tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns):
>
>> (hee-hee-hee --  you're with Motorola and can't find semiconductors?? ;-)
>
>   OK, I'm a software hack in Cellular.  Hardware devices crash when
>   they see me comin'!  Actually, right upstairs from me, where I knew
>   they had scads of data books, I found out they had a cache of sample
>   parts too.  I raided the cabinet, only to find 5, 8, and 12 V
>   regulators!  Oh well, I grabbed an LM317 adjustable.  To the mailers
>   who said the adjustable needed only two resistors, well the data book
>   shows otherwise.

You are correct--the databook shows two bypass capacitors, both optional.
One is at the regulator input, and is needed when the power supply filter
capacitor is an appreciable distance from the regulator (e.g. in a wall
wart, as is quite common these days).  The other is at the regulator
output, and improves transient response (i.e. better regulation when
the load varies at a high frequency, such as with digital logic).

If you look at the databook for the 78XX, you'll see the same optional
capacitors.  All that the LM317 adds is two resistors, and a great
deal of convenience.  I find that using a single part for a variety
of voltages (including odd values) is a LOT simpler than having to use
a different part for a different voltage.

>   Long live the KISS principle...
>    -- Keep It Simple Stupid (Softwarejock)!

As a software jock myself, I agree.  That's why I prefer to have a
single procedure that I can call with a variety of parameters rather
than a different procedure for each parameter.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

mckillnm@unix1.tcd.ie (Bubble Boy) (03/04/91)

Why don't U use the LM318 voltage regulater or even a 7809 regulater.

Why not try this :-  (7809)

                             ____________
                            1|   7809   |3
    +12 V -------------------|          |------------------ +9V
                   |         ------------          |
                   |               |2              |
                ------             |            ------
                ------             |            ------
         100uF     |               |               | 10nF
                   |               |               |
      0 V ------------------------------------------------- GND

or this :- (LM318  <I think>)

                             ------------
                            1|  LM318   |2
     + 12 V -----------------|          |------------------ +9v
                   |         ------------   |        |
                   |              |3        \ R2     |
                -------           |         /      -----
                =======           |-/\/\/\--|      -----
           100uF   |              |   R1             | 10nF
                   |              |                  |
      0 V   ------------------------------------------------  GND

 As I sit here I can't think of the relationship between R1 R2 and the
Vout (ie 9V), but any book on power supplies should have it in.
   If you can't find it mail me and I'll look it up for U.

                   Hope this has been of some help !!

                             Mark    at unix1
                                     TCD Dublin, Ireland.

If it does not work :-

    |\/\/\/|
    | (o)(o)   | Don't have a cow, man !!  |
    |   /
   /____\
  /      \